• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland pnc-1000

willy21414

I am wanting to enter the vinyl cutting world and was wonder is the pnc-1000 a good choice for a beginner or is it to outdated? How can you tell the age of one of these and what price range should I expect to pay? Any opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks

Checkers

Hey Willy,
If Old Paint chimes in, he'll probably tell you it's a great plotter that can cut (print) directly from Corel without the need for plug ins or bridge programs.
Yes, it's old and I'm not sure if you still get it serviced through Roland, but there are companies that can service them. theplotterdoctor.com is one that comes to mind.
Pricing is subjective. If it's in good shape, I've seen them sell for $1k+.

Checkers

iSign

I sold mine for $400.

It is a workhorse. Don't pay $1K though... not that it couldn't become worth that... but I just think you could get one for less.

williamson design

I have a PNC-1000, does the job good, it is a workhorse, I use Roland Signmate Express to cut, and Illustrator to design.

The only drawback is that the Driver for the Plotter will not allow you to cut anything longer than 62 inches long.

I think Old Paint told me about this issue, there is a program out there that is supposed to let you tile a job to cut longer stuff, but I never looked into it.

Glen

THATgirl

rolands

I have had mine for going on 17 years without one problem whatsoever. I still use it occasionally and would not ever sell it. It is a great machine. I have another larger faster machine but still love my old Roland.

willy21414

I greatly appreciate all the responses. I am amazed at how helpfull everyone is. I have been on many forums and I have to say that this one is very different than most. I see very experienced professionals who answere questions no matter how often they are asked and I don't see the negative attitude you find on other forums directed toward beginners and those who are not as skilled. Just wanted to say I have learned quit alot on this site and appreciate all the help. Thanks

OldPaint

i sold my PNC-1000 for $550. after i bought a PNC-1100. then i bought another PNC-1100. still have them, only reason i sold the 1000 is that i got a 1100. 1000 is only a 15", 18 & 20" cutter. it only has grit drives at theose locations. the pnc-1100 is a full 2" to 23" cutter, meaning it has a grit drive exposed anywhere between 2" & 23".
also faster then the 1000.
the 62.99 of a pnc-1000 is easy to remedy with any full CAD program, FLEXI, SIGN LAB, SIGN WIZARD, INSPIRE, ETC. cuttin from corle you will only get a 62.99 panel. simple work around is to just use62" PANEL....and then make another 62" panel

iSign

Willy,

thanks for seeing our good side!!

...you just got lucky! I might as well pop the bubble now, so when you see the dark human underbelly of signs101... you will not be caught off guard & will still think we are nice helpful professionals. :Big Laugh

Pat Whatley

Sure, with any CAD program you can get the machine to let you cut more than 60"...that doesn't mean it's going to stay on track that far. Our first three plotters were PNC 1000's and none of the three were capable of consistantly cutting 8-10' panels. That said we probably cut 4000 rolls of vinyl on them without no mechanical issues. Good, solid plotter is you can pick it up cheap.

Taurusndixie

PNC 1000a, 12 years and still the best machine ever. Simple to understand and operate. The cut carriage moves completely out the way when cut is complete. Does what a cutter should do, cut vinyl and nothing else. I have a new Roland CX-24, hate it, can not stand it. When I push cut I never know what the machine is going to do. Tried it a few days and put it back in the box.

If you can get a good working PNC 1000, go for it.

Don

Lance

Yep, here's anuva vote for dear old Roland. I've got one of these old beasts I picked up about 3 year ago and I think I will end up leaving it to my grand kids if I ever get any.
I use it to cut directly from Corel with no bridge proggy.
I started with CD9 and now have X3 and love the set up.
If ya find one working, grab it but keep in mind that these machines are getting old now and may need a bit of TLC, but chances are good it will still be cutting vinyl when you're not.

Goodluck with it mate.

Jackpine

I have 2 Roland PNC 1000 for sale. I don't need them. I now use a graphtec. I will include SignTools3 ( an addon for CorelDraw). The cutters come in their original boxes with original manuals and cables. Asking $500 each or best offer for both.

OldPaint

Pat Whatley said:
Sure, with any CAD program you can get the machine to let you cut more than 60"...that doesn't mean it's going to stay on track that far. Our first three plotters were PNC 1000's and none of the three were capable of consistantly cutting 8-10' panels. That said we probably cut 4000 rolls of vinyl on them without no mechanical issues. Good, solid plotter is you can pick it up cheap.
95% of that problem is OPERATOR ERROR!!!! it hasa hard time staing aligned,,,,,BUT.... if you are very cautious about linning it up....you can get 16-20 FOOT CUTS.... i used to do a race track wall here and cosistantly made 3' x 10 ' patterns with my PNC-1000.now you want true traking... find a PNC-1050 tractor feed 15", every bit as sturdy as a GOOBER....

Ray

I have a PNC1100 that belong to a friend before he died. It was used very little and has been in storage the last 2 years. His wife would like to sell it for $500.00 + frieght. It is in the original packing like it came from Roland. It also has SignMaker software and all of the manuals. The machine was working perfect when it was placed in storage. You may call me @ 903-839-6102.

ROLAND PNC-1000 troubleshooting. HELP!

could anyone help me to solve a problem with roland pnc-1000?

when i connect plotter via serial cabel to pc, it beebs and shows message ERROR 15, SEE THE MANUAL.

I´ve ve got a right driver for xp, and I´d like to cut with
corel directly, or to use signcut.
set up( stp 1, dat 8, pty non, baud 9600,
comand mode2, input serial, size expand x (or free y),
charecter font vector ASCII-2, pen change command ignored)use ltp 1 any suggestion?
thanks alot in advance
george

George I would start a new thread stating that you are having a problem and i would bet you get a rather prompt reply....i have owned multiple roland plotters but do not know what error 15 is off the top of my head.

OldPaint

could anyone help me to solve a problem with roland pnc-1000?

when i connect plotter via serial cabel to pc, it beebs and shows message ERROR 15, SEE THE MANUAL.

SERIAL CABLE are you sayin it comm or printer port connected....
the printer port has little snap locks to hold it in THIS IS WHERE YOU SHOULD BE....as the ERROR 15 IGNOR IT!
problem is PNC-1000 dont quite understand XP.... as it wasnt built to run in it.
you will get that message at every cut.

Cadmn

I never was able to run serial cable as roland has two wires switched so you gotta get theirs I run parrallel just fine tho now for couple years