• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland rf 640 from 4 to 8 color conversion

ZunoX

Hello, anyone know the process to change color setup at roland rf 640 from 4 color (2x cmyk) to 8 color (cmyk+lk or red green)
Thanks

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
1. Go to service menu
2. Perform either Pump up or Head wash procedure (second is better)
3.1 Switch the ink set and manually fill the inklines
3.2 Or perform Ink fill procedure and follow the instructions)

Bingo!

P.S. Make sure to have enough cleaning carts with you (at least 4 I believe )

cornholio

1. Go to service menu
2. Perform either Pump up or Head wash procedure (second is better)
3.1 Switch the ink set and manually fill the inklines
3.2 Or perform Ink fill procedure and follow the instructions)

Bingo!

P.S. Make sure to have enough cleaning carts with you (at least 4 I believe )
No Bingo!!!
you will need to cut and close the connections between the cartridge outlets in the back of the machine. Just open the cover behind the cartridges. There have been black stoppers delivered with the printer.
When I remember correctly, Versaworks doesn't support this configuration. Those 8 color printers have been delivered with a Ergosoft Posterprint license.

ZunoX

No Bingo!!!
you will need to cut and close the connections between the cartridge outlets in the back of the machine. Just open the cover behind the cartridges. There have been black stoppers delivered with the printer.
When I remember correctly, Versaworks doesn't support this configuration. Those 8 color printers have been delivered with a Ergosoft Posterprint license.
Thanks for replys, that mean i need another rip software ?

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
Thanks for replys, that mean i need another rip software ?
That's for sure.
I can provide you with it.

No Bingo!!!
Yeah, ya right. Sorry for misleading, I was almost sleeping)))
Well, I'm not actually sure if "original" RF supports 8 color set natively so you better first check it in the service menu if there is such an option in the "Ink set" menu. If it does then the rest won't be that complicated althou will still require some little tech skills to rearrange the ink lines after cart and on the printhead.

ZunoX

So my plan is
1. Remove inks and insert 8 wash liquid inks
2. Head wash procedure
3. Close the connections between the cartridges
4. Remove wash liquid inks and insert 8 colors inks
5. Enable 8c mode in service mode
6. Ink fill

What did u think ?

Im worried about the air in tubes when closing the connections between cartidges, can be that a problem ?

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
5. Enable 8c mode in service mode
As i said before:
Well, I'm not actually sure if "original" RF supports 8 color set natively so you better first check it in the service menu if there is such an option in the "Ink set" menu.
I have just checked both RF 640 and 640A up tp date installation manuals and didn't find anything about 8C mode mentioned there.

netsol

regarding air in lines, i use one of these (i have no patience for this!)

make sure you have latest firmware,
if you don't have the correct inkset option, since you need a new rip, anyway, use flexi cloud 21 which supports
custom ink sets (i am told). i would assume you can import downloaded profiles, but, i am sure you can buy an xrite i1 pro on ebay & create profiles in flexi. with most other rips, you need a cmyk license from xrite (costs slmost as much as a new i1 pro)

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
use flexi cloud 21 which supports
custom ink sets
It's not that obvious that they support custom inkset feature for RF-640 as it's total matter of they way they developed the driver
hense it may even support custom inkset but for 4C only but not for 8C

moreover flexi CMS engine isn't the best in class especially for 8C systems althou the best are inedit neostampa or ergosoft

netsol

It's not that obvious that they support custom inkset feature for RF-640 as it's total matter of they way they developed the driver
hense it may even support custom inkset but for 4C only but not for 8C

moreover flexi CMS engine isn't the best in class especially for 8C systems althou the best are inedit neostampa or ergosoft
any way you look at it, if it isn't an option in the firmware, this will be an engineering project (i love those!)
it is possible, however, and for $55(?)/mo you will get flexi tech support.

if, realistically it is worth the effort, it is possible. i guess it depends on how much experience building profiles, etc you have

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
it is possible, however, and for $55(?)/mo you will get flexi tech support.
tech supp only provides consultancy services for the, let's say, "A1 level" users who knows nothing about printing and doesn't bother to read User guides
in fact, they WON'T customize drivers for your own sakes and needs
i'd rather go for purchasing higher-class cracked RIP software which is usually 500-700 bucks and contains all the necessary features

but, first things first, if there is NO 8C option in the printers FW then it's not a point of discussion as 8C DRIVER works with 8C FW ONLY!

Last edited: