• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP-300V Contour Cut Issues

Mellie

Any help would be appreciated.

Roland SP-300V using Flexi to add contour cut lines and Versaworks (newest edition) to print and cut. When cutting out font (any fonts) it will not cut correctly. It either skips parts or doesn't meet up.

I've replaced the blade, blade holder, cutting strip and tried around 10 different offset numbers.

Anything else I can check?

Attachments

• IMG_6653.jpg
    IMG_6653.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_6648.jpg
    IMG_6648.jpg
    955 KB · Views: 381

strypguy

Do you have your blade depth and pressure set correctly? The blade should barely stick out and use only enough pressure to cut through the vinyl. The carriage that holds the blade holder may be the issue. Have you checked it to see if something is loose? It could also be a bad "new" blade. What brand and degree blade are you using? John

Mellie

Do you have your blade depth and pressure set correctly? The blade should barely stick out and use only enough pressure to cut through the vinyl. The carriage that holds the blade holder may be the issue. Have you checked it to see if something is loose? It could also be a bad "new" blade. What brand and degree blade are you using? John

Thanks John...It's a Roland 45 degree offset blade...it came with 5 in a pack and I've tried all five. I'll check the carriage to see if there are any issues with it.

Mellie

Thanks John...It's a Roland 45 degree offset blade...it came with 5 in a pack and I've tried all five. I'll check the carriage to see if there are any issues with it.

Checked the carriage and everything seems in order. :(. Any other suggestions. I just had to pull out my silhouette and it is cutting better than the Roland.

phototec

Any help would be appreciated.

Roland SP-300V using Flexi to add contour cut lines and Versaworks (newest edition) to print and cut. When cutting out font (any fonts) it will not cut correctly. It either skips parts or doesn't meet up.

I've replaced the blade, blade holder, cutting strip and tried around 10 different offset numbers.

Anything else I can check?

Not really sure what's going on with your printer/cutter, I have it's bigger brother the SP540V and have discovered it's best to add a bleed so if the cut is off a little the final result will still look right. The second item to check is the blade holder, I had a problem with mine and it was because the BALL BEARINGS inside the blade holder went bad, ordered a NEW blade holder and the Roland was cutting better. Hope this helps.

Joe House

New Blades, Cutting Strip and Blade holder will fix most cutting issues. Also make sure that your cut controls are set correctly.

jriley

The "skipping parts" is the issue that has me concerned. I've seen bad cut ribbon cables cause entire portions of cuts fail to execute.

Mellie

The "skipping parts" is the issue that has me concerned. I've seen bad cut ribbon cables cause entire portions of cuts fail to execute.

Yes, replacing that cable is something something I think I'd want to tackle. I can't for the life of me find a roland technician near me. Emailed Roland and hopefully they'll respond soon.

Mellie

Not really sure what's going on with your printer/cutter, I have it's bigger brother the SP540V and have discovered it's best to add a bleed so if the cut is off a little the final result will still look right. The second item to check is the blade holder, I had a problem with mine and it was because the BALL BEARINGS inside the blade holder went bad, ordered a NEW blade holder and the Roland was cutting better. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I have replaced the blade holder as well as the cutting strip and the blade. I'm also adding the bleed line but it's still not cutting correctly.

Chriswagner92

Thanks! I have replaced the blade holder as well as the cutting strip and the blade. I'm also adding the bleed line but it's still not cutting correctly.
Environment Match and Print/Cut Calibration? Our old Sp540V never cut great either, we've been running the HP Latex 335 and Summa cutter for almost a year now.

rjssigns

To the OP. It's time to get a Summa. I run an SP540V and tried all the tweaks, parts, fixes you name it. Went so far as to reset the tension on the pinch rolls, shimming blah blah blah. Total waste of time. It's an old rig and while it still prints great it can't hold register for cutting.

I would cringe every time a cut/contour job would come in. How can I cut it into small enough chunks and hope the Roland doesn't ruin the cut. Running stuff two and three times to get usable cut quality. Absolute stupidity.

Now I load prints in the Summa and walk away. How much would that be worth to you?;)

Mellie

To the OP. It's time to get a Summa. I run an SP540V and tried all the tweaks, parts, fixes you name it. Went so far as to reset the tension on the pinch rolls, shimming blah blah blah. Total waste of time. It's an old rig and while it still prints great it can't hold register for cutting.

I would cringe every time a cut/contour job would come in. How can I cut it into small enough chunks and hope the Roland doesn't ruin the cut. Running stuff two and three times to get usable cut quality. Absolute stupidity.

Now I load prints in the Summa and walk away. How much would that be worth to you?;)

I have a new GCC Expert II LX but boxed it up quickly as I could not get it to work - it seems more complicated than it should be. Its seems redundant to print on the Roland and then have to cut it on another device but looks like I'm not going to have a choice when it comes to designs with font. :(

Last edited:

rjssigns

I have a new GCC Expert II LX but boxed it up quickly as I could not get it to work. Its seems redundant to print on the Roland and then have to cut it on another device but look like I'm not going to have a choice when it comes to designs with font. :(

A crutch until you get a Summa is print a rectangle much bigger than your text then center your text in that and cut. I had to do that a lot, but it works. Contour cut could be off by a mile an you still have perfect text.
Costs more in ink and time, but it will get you by until you get fed up with the process.