• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland SP-540v connection to computer

ZissouNW

Hi All, I hope someone can help me figure this out. I've owned this machine for a month and have yet to print anything!

What I'm trying to work out is how to connect my SP-540v to my computer and have it be recognized in Versaworks.

This particular unit has black plastics, as opposed to every other one I've seen with the white-does anyone know why this is? The unit only has an ethernet port, no usb.
Also, on this unit I cannot get into the printer settings using the "system info" tab on the menu--it does not appear. I cannot figure out how to see its IP address

I bought Versaworks and have installed it on my machine. I just want a simple unit to computer connection. Can anyone help? Please??

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Justin

KrisMalby

Hey,
I have a similar machine, I forget the actual model truevis sg300 or something now im not sure how yours is setup but with the Ethernet connection i had the same kind of problem.
for me it was because i attached the cable from the printer to a switch instead of an actual router now im guessing but if you connect your ethernet direct to your computer it might work. if not maybe try another cable.
Im probably not that helpful but thought ild say
which version of versaworks do you have? just thinking i have a sp300v as well i could have a play currently using a normal printer cable though.

player

Get a router. Plug into the router with the printer and the PC. The router will have a program that runs in a web browser. Type it's IP address into the browser. It will be something like 192.168.1.1 .Use Roland Peck software to tell you the IP address of the printer. If it doesn't find it, add one into the printer. Something like 192.168.1.22 . You might have to do that in service mode. I'm not an expert, but I've fumbled around a few times and got it working. It's a network printer.

Last edited:

ZissouNW

Hey,
I have a similar machine, I forget the actual model truevis sg300 or something now im not sure how yours is setup but with the Ethernet connection i had the same kind of problem.
for me it was because i attached the cable from the printer to a switch instead of an actual router now im guessing but if you connect your ethernet direct to your computer it might work. if not maybe try another cable.
Im probably not that helpful but thought ild say
which version of versaworks do you have? just thinking i have a sp300v as well i could have a play currently using a normal printer cable though.
Thanks for the reply. I think it may be that I need a router. Going to pick one up today and will give it a try. I have Versawork 5.5. Thanks again, Justin

ZissouNW

Get a router. Plug into the router with the printer and the PC. The router will have a program that runs in a web browser. Type it's IP address into the browser. It will be something like 192.168.1.1 .Use Roland Peck software to tell you the IP address of the printer. If it doesn't find it, add one into the printer. Something like 192.168.1.22 . You might have to do that in service mode. I'm not an expert, but I've fumbled around a few times and got it working. It's a network printer.
Thanks for the info! I'll give this a try today. Question: Does it need too go into the router used for my computer's internet connection? I'm using a shared connection via wifi card and the router is in another room. Can I just get a router for this connection only without it being connected to internet?
Thanks again!
Justin

netsol

Premium Subscriber
we use advanced ip scanner, but, to each his own
both devices, pc and printer/scanner need to be in the same subnet
first 3 octets have to match. (ie 192.168.1.5 snd 192.168.1.6. router/gateway will be 192.168.1.1)

do not use 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.110 for example, those will be assigned dhcp (given out to your cell phone, tablet, wifi thermostat, etc ) and will cause communication loss when the router gives the printer's ip out to a duplicate device

message me if you need some assistance,
you can connect to an existing router, if one is alreadybon your network
you probably just need a tcp/ip protocol lesson.
( easier after 5 pm, )

ZissouNW

we use advanced ip scanner, but, to each his own
both devices, pc and printer/scanner need to be in the same subnet
first 3 octets have to match. (ie 192.168.1.5 snd 192.168.1.6. router/gateway will be 192.168.1.1)

do not use 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.110 for example, those will be assigned dhcp (given out to your cell phone, tablet, wifi thermostat, etc ) and will cause communication loss when the router gives the printer's ip out to a duplicate device

message me if you need some assistance,
you can connect to an existing router, if one is alreadybon your network
you probably just need a tcp/ip protocol lesson.
( easier after 5 pm, )
Thanks so much, Netsol. I'm totally unfamiliar with all of this. I've previously run epson art printers and they're basically plug and play. Not so on this beast! I feel like I need a computer science degree about now:) I looked up that program and will download it tomorrow and see if I can make any headway. If I get stuck I'll definitely take you up on your kind offer of help. Thanks again! Justin

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thanks so much, Netsol. I'm totally unfamiliar with all of this. I've previously run epson art printers and they're basically plug and play. Not so on this beast! I feel like I need a computer science degree about now:) I looked up that program and will download it tomorrow and see if I can make any headway. If I get stuck I'll definitely take you up on your kind offer of help. Thanks again! Justin

It's because the Epsons use DHCP and just ask your router for an IP address and it gives them one. The Roland is just old!