• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help roland sp330v scan motor issues

john serbin

hello all
my Roland sp300v stopped mid print with a scan motor error code. Purchased a new one and replaced it, still giving same error code. it moves just a little before giving me the error code again. It is also turning on in the cleaning mode on its own after I power it down? any help or suggestions would be appreciated, not sure if I require additional steps to reset the printer. I don't have an owners manual as I bought this printer used and i'm learning as I go.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Did you clean the encoder strip and do a limit initialization after installing the new motor? We have 2 Sp-300V's and I've encountered what sounds similar to your issue and this resolved it.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
This issue can also be caused by a dirty carriage rail and buildup around the bearing blocks. You can test this by going into service mode, lowering the caps and moving the cut and head carriage by hand . This cleaning and lubrication probably need to be done anyway on a printer that old. Thoroughly clean the rail with alcohol, clean out any buildup around the bearing blocks and lightly lubricate the rail with 3in1 oil. Run the scan aging for about 10 complete movement to distribute the oil into the bearing blocks.

john serbin

Did you clean the encoder strip and do a limit initialization after installing the new motor? We have 2 Sp-300V's and I've encountered what sounds similar to your issue and this resolved it.
what do I use to clean the encoder strip? Worried about possible damage, and how would I do a Limit initialization? thanks

john serbin

This issue can also be caused by a dirty carriage rail and buildup around the bearing blocks. You can test this by going into service mode, lowering the caps and moving the cut and head carriage by hand . This cleaning and lubrication probably need to be done anyway on a printer that old. Thoroughly clean the rail with alcohol, clean out any buildup around the bearing blocks and lightly lubricate the rail with 3in1 oil. Run the scan aging for about 10 complete movement to distribute the oil into the bearing blocks.
Thanks I will do this today, hope this works

john serbin

ok so I cleaned the encoder strip, it was dusty/dirty cleaned the rail and put a little 3 in 1 on it. I attempted a limit initilization 3 times before it allowed me to complete it without an error code. Ran a couple head cleaning passes 2 medium, 1 powerful because it had been over a week since I replaced the scan motor ran a test print, was ok. tried to print some small stickers motor error code 0080 0080 came on after about 4 passes. Any suggestions?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Did you do the following? Linear encoder, linear calibration and scan aging in service mode for about 10 complete movements to distribute the oil into the bearing blocks. If you have done these, go to cap and wiper control in service mode, lower the caps, and move the entire carriage back and fort the length of the printer. You want to feel for any resistant spots. The carriage should move fairly freely. You will feel some slight resistance from the scan motor. One last thing is to check that the gears on the scan motor and drive pulley are clean and not causing any resistance. If you have gotten this far in troubleshooting and are still getting the error 0080 0080, then it is likely the motor is bad.

john serbin

Did you do the following? Linear encoder, linear calibration and scan aging in service mode for about 10 complete movements to distribute the oil into the bearing blocks. If you have done these, go to cap and wiper control in service mode, lower the caps, and move the entire carriage back and fort the length of the printer. You want to feel for any resistant spots. The carriage should move fairly freely. You will feel some slight resistance from the scan motor. One last thing is to check that the gears on the scan motor and drive pulley are clean and not causing any resistance. If you have gotten this far in troubleshooting and are still getting the error 0080 0080, then it is likely the motor is bad.
I haven't tried any of what you suggested in service mode, but I will give it a try. The scan motor is new I just replaced it.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I presume you did the encoder steps before doing the aging? Did you move the head carriage by hand? How did it feel? Any resistant spots?

john serbin

yes I did the encoder steps first, I did feel resistance spots, I cleaned the rail and added a little 3 in 1 before I did all this. Any ideas to what else it could be or what I should check next?

Mantaworld

yes I did the encoder steps first, I did feel resistance spots, I cleaned the rail and added a little 3 in 1 before I did all this. Any ideas to what else it could be or what I should check next?
It sounds like you are a bit handy at attempting repairs. I have had similar problems with both my SP-300 and SP-540. I first did everything that has been suggested to you with no positive result. I then changed the Linear Encoder strip...as that is fairly easy to do and not to expensive. That worked on one machine but did not work on other machine the next time this happened. I then changed the 15 pin tool carriage Ribbon cable and that fixed it! This is a bit harder of a job but if you take your time you should be fine.