• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland sp540 not printing yellow/magenta

alwyzchanging

Had my printer for about a year now. Had issue with it not printing yellow/magenta about a month ago, purchased and replaced cap heads and it fixed the problem...that is until now. I am having the same issue to where no yellow is being printed at all during the test prints and only half of the magenta prints out and sort of prints out sporadically on the other half of the test print. Tried a manual cleaning, 3 power cleans, and checking the ink cartridges to make sure they still had ink and problem is still there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DRamm76

Here are some things to look out for and some questions..

-What type of ink is in the machine? Roland? 3rd Party?
-Have you checked to make sure the heads are capped properly?
-If you were to pour solution into the capping station does it drain down or just sit there?
-Have you ever pulled ink through the heads to get it flowing properly? While this is a good technique, if not done properly you could blow a damper.

alwyzchanging

Here are some things to look out for and some questions..

-What type of ink is in the machine? Roland? 3rd Party?
-Have you checked to make sure the heads are capped properly?
-If you were to pour solution into the capping station does it drain down or just sit there?
-Have you ever pulled ink through the heads to get it flowing properly? While this is a good technique, if not done properly you could blow a damper.

- PRIME-ECO by BORDEAUX is the ink I use
- I have checked and it looks like its in there right.
- The solution just sits there when I pour it into the capping station
- I have never pulled the ink, I am not familiar with the process. Is there a site I can go to to learn?

now don't quote me on this but...at my old shop we got got our mutoh going by sucking ink into the dampers using a large animal syringe, minus the needle(dirt cheap at farm supply store and fits dampers perfectly)...if you have ink in the dampers, you could probably try sucking from the drain line when the heads are over the capping station (this is where the needle might come into play)

But if there is fluid pooled in the capping station you have other problems.

That's my advice as an amateur solvent printer tech
how many more disclaimers can I put in one post.

Robert M

Suck ink

Locate the black tube that is coming from the yellow/ megenta cap. hook up a syringe and try to draw in down. Run your fingers along the black tube, sometinmes you can feel the clog and work it out
that fails do the same from the waste line to the pump.

rjssigns

It is third party inks causing the issue. I can almost guarantee the lines from the cap tops to the pumps and from the pump to the catch bottle are clogged. An easy check is to see if they are still pliable. If not, they and the cap tops will have to be replaced. First clue is cleaning solution sits on the cap tops. How do I know? Been there, broke that with third party inks. Went back to OEM inks after an expensive service call (flush heads, new hoses, etc..) and its been pounding out the work since.
I could go on, but I fear the good people on this forum may be tiring of my posts on the pitfalls of third party inks.

Cheers,

RJ

DRamm76

It is third party inks causing the issue. I can almost guarantee the lines from the cap tops to the pumps and from the pump to the catch bottle are clogged. An easy check is to see if they are still pliable. If not, they and the cap tops will have to be replaced. First clue is cleaning solution sits on the cap tops. How do I know? Been there, broke that with third party inks. Went back to OEM inks after an expensive service call (flush heads, new hoses, etc..) and its been pounding out the work since.
I could go on, but I fear the good people on this forum may be tiring of my posts on the pitfalls of third party inks.

Cheers,

RJ

Amen! "But it can't be the third party ink! They are so much cheaper! How could they cause a problem!?!" (Insert sarcasm here)