• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP540 vs. VP540

webguy

I am about to pull the trigger on getting a Roland 54" machine, but was wondering if it was worth it to pay the extra $4000 to get a VP over the SP? Anyone want to chime in and let me know what you think?

I know that the differences is in the head,
the VP540 has 4 heads, the SP540 has 2 heads
the VP540 has 2 Year waranty The SP540 has 1 year waranty with an $1000 option to extend the waranty another year.
The VP540 has a better tracking system than the SP540.
The VP540 is a little better built and lighter.
The VP540 is newer in design and more sleek.
The VP540 prints about 40% faster.

Not sure if I need the speed.

I know others was faced with this decision. Can you offer some advice?

Thanks.

bryan

We recently bought a used SP540 at a decent price. We have been using the SP300 for several years and was very comfortable with it, in fact, we still use it daily as well. The VP is a totally different animal than the SP and for our size shop, I could not justify the differences in costs VS speed VS neew VS used. With that said, I looked for 8 months before I found the right deal on a used one.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you do and how you feel after you pull the trigger.

peavey123

The VP is far less mantenance which means less headaches. The big upgrade on the VP for me was roland encasing the reader strip in the back of the machine. On the SP it is exposed so any dust or grime can and will dirty it up which will cause strange printing problems. I also noticed much less banding on the VP.

webguy

Peavey123,
Thanks for the information. I would of never known this unless someone told me. Do you think it is worth the extra $4000 for the less maintenance? I am not sure what "Banding" means. Sorry I am a newbie.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I've worked with both. VP better quality, faster, better detail in smaller prints. Worth the extra $$$

zmatalucci

the sp is still a tank when it comes to reliability. I have nothing but positive things to say for them. Mine has made me some serious $

bryan

Bryan,

Can I ask about how much you paid?

I actually bought all the equipment from a sign shop that closed down and the SP540 was my main focus out of a number of things, including laminator, comp system, cutter, lots of worthless vinyl and such. I estimate the dollar value on the SP540 was about 11,500. Hard to say for 100% since I paid more total, but got a lot of other stuff of value too.

webguy

BigDawg,
Thanks for the input.

Zmatalucci,
Good To know.

Bryan,
Thanks, that gives me something to go by. As I think based upon what you are guessing I think I can get a new one for a really good price.

Still on the fence with the SP and VP though.

zmatalucci

either way, you cant go wrong. It's all about what you can afford. Roland is a Great product, and I will always have one.

Mainframe

I just bought a Roland vp 540 I don't really know much about the sp 540 but I will tell you I wouldn't want to have anything that prints any slower than the vp 540, not saying it is slow now but a slower printer would be unacceptable to me. I cornered the tech about the difference between the sp & vp & he said the vp reminds him of the more expensive soljet machines in every way, he liked the way it was built from more pinch rollers to 4 heads to a more compact build, he strongly suggested the vp & I am VERY glad I listened. I have a good tech that set this up & told me how to save my files etc., I have not had any banding on anything I have printed, I save everything as illustrator eps & it seems ok. I also noticed something Roland mentioned in the advertising was they realize you may not print everyday & they designed the vp with that in mind, also I noticed the tracking is spot on on large banners

hoppers

Love my SP, cant say much for the VP as I havent used it but saw one run and they are quicker.

But if you dont even know what banding is - why are you EVEN buying a printer? Granted many newer printers dont have the banding issues those were plagued with in the past, but search the forum and you will find many posts about it.

From your past post, it seems you work with vinyl already on a plotter and want a printer. Im sorry but its not just that easy of a jump. I bought mine in the beginning of the year and still learning every day. Design is key and can be much harder on a printer then cuttin some vectors in a plotter. And let alone the cost is much higher when you get into software, hardware, materials and laminate (which you dont mention but say you do helmets - ie you def need a laminator).

Good luck, but it sounds like your planning to fail...you need to plan a lot more then just reading a forum for a month or so. Esp if you dont know what banding is.

Sorry to be blunt, but you need a lot more education before you drop $15K+. And get an SP used from someone, I just posted one for around $5K on craigslist that someone has for sale. See it run, buy it with cash and learn on it for a year.....or worst yet - sub out your work until you know enough. The VP is leaning towards a lot of marketing fluff and sure it IS better, but a lot of us have and still are making a lot of $$ from our SP's.

webguy

Hoppers,

Sorry I don't know what Banding is. I guess since you think I don't know what banding is, I shouldn't step up to a new printer?
I am on this forum to learn. That is what this forum is about. My post is about SP vs. VP and not about banding. Just to let you know. I am very sucessful in selling decals and get quite a bit of vinyl work. Getting a Printer is the next logical thing for me! I saw the one you posted off Craigslist, but I am no where near it, so I will have to pass. And I think if I can afford to spend the $15K to invest in my business it is a good move.

Thanks for your input though.

Edit::

BTW. the craigslist posting is now deleted. I assume it is sold.

hoppers

Banding is pretty high up there on issues that can arise from these large format printers.

and the printer is $15K, then add $5K for a decent laminator, then $1K+ for startup materials/ink etc...then $1K for a computer, then $1K-$4K for software...you see where Im going, this adds up. Im glad you are reading the forum, I read this forum and googled and read everything I could for 2 years before deciding.

And if your patient before letting the salesperson suck you in more, you will find used VersaCamms come up for sale on here possibly in your area (I see a 1-3 a month at times). Save probably half of what is new and throw that towards the above mentioned "other" items. That is how I bought mine, here on s101 used and it runs great (Greg T is the man! :)

But still, good luck.

Ps - banding on the Versacamm (and searching s101 revealed 245+ posts with the word "banding" in it)

http://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=4846

Pic:
http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/004/004bnj-11592584.jpg

gtjet

When a solid color is printed, it can have line that run the same direction that the printhead moves (from right to left), this is called banding. In stead of a nice solid color you have "bands" in the color. We get very little banding and there are things you can do to minimize it. More heads = less banding, the Mutoh has a wave pattern that eliminates banding for example. I could be wrong and probably am but I think my roland rep said the vp heads are staggered and that greatly reduces banding (still don't quote me on this, I heard so much stuff that day on different printers that I am probably mistaken). Anyway that basically is what banding is....bands in solid colors in a print, they run the same directions as the print head moves

webguy

Hopper / gtjet,

Thanks for the information on "Banding" That makes sense and I have seen this before, just didn't know what it was called. I did look at the Mutoh earlier, but didn't have the room for a separte cutter. I will have to do the search on it with Versacamm.

Much appreciated.

Hopper,
I already have Flexi, Correl, Illustrator and photoshop. I have a friend that has a laminator that I can use anytime I want. Just not convenient.

Prism1

I have a SP540 that I have had for 2 years. I have had problems with the encoder strip, and changed 4 print heads.

A few Suggestions:

It was my first printer, and the learning curve was Steep. Don't believe "Just hook it up and Print". My Azz... ( and Anyone who tells you otherwise, is just blowing up their ego. Period.)

A Print head is $800-900. For a $1000, BUY the extra one year warranty! ( cuz when you have a Deadline, the customer is screaming, and your machine is no worky, it is nice to have someone to call to say " come fix this $%&#@" ).

If your are doing ANY automotive stuff, you NEED to laminate. Period. Don't let some Hack tell you otherwise. And NOT that Liquid stuff...

You Will Ruin prints: Head strikes, banding in the middle for no reason, wrinkles while laminating them, etc.

Ya, I know...ink is only .25 a square, and cheap vinyl is only .25 a square, but when you are learning, learning, learning, you will waste a lot.

Has my machine made me Money...YEP!!
Has it Caused some SERIOUS headaches...YEP!!

And...speed will matter down the road. But, only if you have enough work to make it run every minute you are open. For Most shops, that is not the case. You just need to manage your time.

Hope this helps. If you are looking for used, Call some leasing companies...they have RECORD numbers of repo's. Be cautious of buying something that you are not sure it's been paid for. I have known a few shops to sell their leased equipment, that is not paid for. Karma will find them...