• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland True Vis VG2 540

Cosmo15

I am having connectivity issues with my Roland 540Vg2. I run an ethernet cable from my computer to the printer and it doesnt stay connected, I have had my local dealers tech come by because it was having a weeping problem and then she also found it wasnt connected and that somehow the IP address didnt match. I don’t understand how this keeps happening. I am thinking I need to change the Ethernet cable? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am a newbie to this site. thanks.

weyandsign

I recommend putting a router between your PC and the printer. Let the router handle IP addresses. If not, then you need to set a static IP on your PC and on the printer.

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
Actually, the most reliable connection will be the simplest. There is no need for a router. If you have a good cable, set your printer IP to something totally different than your local area network. Use something like 10.10.10.10, with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and no gateway or 0.0.0.0 for the gateway, then set your computer IP to 10.10.10.12 and 255.255.255.0.
If you're using wifi for other computer connectivity, just make sure that the range is totally different. It usually will be if you're using default settings on your wifi router.
If you're still having problems after you get a new factory built cable (no need for a crossover cable), you could have a bad Network connector on your printer or on your computer. Did the tech have problems when connected to her laptop with her Ethernet cable? Or was she just using your computer/cable combo?

Cosmo15

Thank you. T
Actually, the most reliable connection will be the simplest. There is no need for a router. If you have a good cable, set your printer IP to something totally different than your local area network. Use something like 10.10.10.10, with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and no gateway or 0.0.0.0 for the gateway, then set your computer IP to 10.10.10.12 and 255.255.255.0.
If you're using wifi for other computer connectivity, just make sure that the range is totally different. It usually will be if you're using default settings on your wifi router.
If you're still having problems after you get a new factory built cable (no need for a crossover cable), you could have a bad Network connector on your printer or on your computer. Did the tech have problems when connected to her laptop with her Ethernet cable? Or was she just using your computer/cable combo?

netsol

Joe,
i have been doing networking for over 40 years.
if there is already an existing functioning router, there is no need for a customer to understand tcp/ip , subnetting etc, so i am not sure a direct cable connection is always the simplest

i often have people tell me both devices have a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address so we shold be fine

i often have a client reach the wrong conclusions because they do not choose their ip's properly (although we always use a direct cable as a definitive test)

netsol

as a rule, we generally POWER DOWN EVERYTHING, wait 20 minutes, bring up the modem, then the router, then the printer, then client computer

if the client is up to it, we login to router and IF POSSIBLE clear client tables and history, giving everyone a fresh ip address

then download advanced ip scanner, do a scan of the network, and see how many devices we see, and can ping

routers can really get stupid, a good reset cures many problems

Cosmo15

So I tried what the Roland tech told me to do, which was turn off my Wi-Fi on my pc, then get the IP address from my pc, connect the printer to my pc using the same IP address and then once that’s done, turn my Wi-Fi back on. Still not connected in Versaworks, but now I got a screen come up in Versaworks A connection with the server could not be established.?????

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
then get the IP address from my pc, connect the printer to my pc using the same IP address

IP addresses are like shipping addresses; they have to be unique for each location/device. So using the same IP for the computer and printer will not work. Maybe I read that wrong but wanted to make sure that was understood. Have you tried what Joe House suggested?

Cosmo15

Another dumb question..i know LAN is local area network...where do i find it on my computer?

Cosmo15

Ok so after watching some YouTube’s videos from Roland DGA, I was able to go into my pc settings ipv4 and change the IP address settings to This IP address only and I input the ip from the printer except for the last 3 digits, I made those different. I now have the green light - Ready to Print in Versaworks and was actually able to print some test prints! My next item to deal with is why does a window from Versaworks pop up stating an orange triangle with “ A connection with the server could not be established” ? I also read several blogs regarding updating the firmware..my local Roland dealer here in Hawaii mentioned to me he wouldn’t do any updates if the printer is working, but I have read numerous blogs from others stating being up to date on the firmware for the printer is very important? # soconfusedandstilllearning.

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
There are two ways of looking at it Cosmo, 1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or, 2. Keep up with the latest and greatest. - both have advantages.
There are occasions when a firmware update will break something, but for the most part, I've found Roland's firmware updates to be improvements - either new features or bug fixes.
The connection with the server error is probably because your Versaworks is looking for updates to the software (not related to the firmware) and can't make a connection because your directly connected to the printer with your ethernet card. Do you have any internet connectivity on your computer? If so, there may be a problem with the server. I've seen this from time to time. You can always download the firmware from RolandDGA.com on the support page for your model of printer (if on another computer, just move it over via a thumbdrive) I usually get Versaworks Updates from RolandDG.com on their download page.

Good Luck