• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ROLAND USERS PLEASE HELP

On longer prints, why do I get these smudges? I'm wasting time and vinyl

Attachments

• SMUDGE.jpeg
    SMUDGE.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 269
Is that while it's printing or afterwards ?? To me, it looks like the vinyl went down and landed on itself before it was dry.
Is that while it's printing or afterwards ?? To me, it looks like the vinyl went down and landed on itself before it was dry.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, then either your tension is off creating a tent like effect or your heat might be too high, doing the same thing with tenting, but I've never seen that kinda head strikes on any of my Rolands...... aqueous or solvent.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I haven't had that happen on either of our Rolands, but recently I was getting almost exactly the same issue on our Epson... the banner material was bunching between the pinch rollers - head strikes, smeared print - it was a disaster. Problem fixed with better tension at the take-up.

ChicagoGraphics

I had that happend on my Mimiaki a few times but not as bad, I tightend up the take up and turned the heat down and It solved the problem

E Coloney

Do those lines correspond with pinch roller positions? The only pinch rollers I use are at the extreme ends of the vinyl and then give a "long" time to dry before cutting.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
If you are using the roll take up and you don't tape the media onto it straight, it will skew and creat a tent or ripple effect that the head strikes against and that skid mark.
If you pause the printing when the media starts to touch the floor place three pieces of tape along the edge of the media, crawl under the printer from the back side, push the tension bar foward and pull the media evenly towards you while putting pressure on the tension bar and adhear the media to a take up roll. Press pause to resume printing.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
We used to get strange anomalies like that in the winter. When you turn the heat on the humidity goes down and the static builds. We only had it happen with the magenta head and on banner material. As static builds up in the material it pulls the ink towards it instead of it firing straight down.

I tried grounding the machine with no luck. We had to raise the humidity in the shop. One benefit was we stopped getting zapped on the laminator all winter.