• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VG-540 Ink leaking from Head

Gate_City_Signs

Hey, we recently had a tech come out and replace the captop and head for our Roland printer. Now we have ink leaking out of the head. Any tips on how to fix this issue?

Attachments

• Photo Nov 30, 10 08 16 AM.jpg
    Photo Nov 30, 10 08 16 AM.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,519
  • Photo Nov 30, 1 32 40 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 30, 1 32 40 PM.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 915

balstestrat

Problem Solver
We are not under warranty and used a third party tech. Plus there's no way to prove that the problem came from the tech right?
So someone just did some work exactly on the parts that you now have issues with and you are willing to just accept that right away? Not even going to ask?
It doesn't matter if the printer has warranty or not, there should be some kind of expectation of life for the parts and work.

Gate_City_Signs

So someone just did some work exactly on the parts that you now have issues with and you are willing to just accept that right away? Not even going to ask?
It doesn't matter if the printer has warranty or not, there should be some kind of expectation of life for the parts and work.
We are asking and contacting the the tech who did the work, but I am trying to see if there is a simple solution as well so we can get this fixed without having to wait for a tech.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Did the tech replace the damper on the head he replaced? If the damper was the latest version, there is a revision on the dampers for that printer, and the damper fill needs to be done twice in a row. The new damper is designed for the VG2 inks, and the membrane needs to be "stretched" a bit more than 1 damper fill will do. I had this issue and my Roland factory support tech enlightened me, as this change hadn't made it into the latest manual yet. This took care of the issue. You can remove a front cover and disconnect the cap lines to the pumps for the heads that don't need this and save some ink. Advise your tech of this and have him come back and do the damper fill twice in a row and see if the leak is gone.

Gate_City_Signs

Did the tech replace the damper on the head he replaced? If the damper was the latest version, there is a revision on the dampers for that printer, and the damper fill needs to be done twice in a row. The new damper is designed for the VG2 inks, and the membrane needs to be "stretched" a bit more than 1 damper fill will do. I had this issue and my Roland factory support tech enlightened me, as this change hadn't made it into the latest manual yet. This took care of the issue. You can remove a front cover and disconnect the cap lines to the pumps for the heads that don't need this and save some ink. Advise your tech of this and have him come back and do the damper fill twice in a row and see if the leak is gone.
Is the damper fill something we could ourselves or does it require a tech?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
If you are still using VG inks, you can do it yourself if you know how to go into service mode. If you have converted to VG2 inks, a tech must do it, thank you Roland! A lot of VG owners unhappy about this and rightfully so...

Although the tech should come out and fix the mistake, if this is the cause, for free. I would...

Last edited:

Gate_City_Signs

If you are still using VG inks, you can do it yourself if you know how to go into service mode. If you have converted to VG2 inks, a tech must do it, thank you Roland! A lot of VG owners unhappy about this and rightfully so...

Although the tech should come out and fix the mistake, if this is the cause, for free. I would...
We are converting over to TR2 inks soon as well. Will upgrading to the TR2 ink fix the issue automatically? Or will a Tech need to fix it either way?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
If the tech does the damper fill two times, it should fix the issue. I would have him do it now anyway so you don't lose any prints to ink dripping.

Gate_City_Signs

If the tech does the damper fill two times, it should fix the issue. I would have him do it now anyway so you don't lose any prints to ink dripping.
We contacted the tech and he emailed us the instructions to perform the damper fill. So we performed the damper fill twice on Side A and it fixed the ink dripping issue but after performing a test print (attached), The black on the last head was dropping out significantly. We then performed a damper fill once on Side B thinking maybe it needed to be done as well to fix the dropout issue. But that did not fix the black dropping out. We performed a normal clean and also a manual clean, this did not fix it. I then soaked the head to see if it would fix the drop outs but it only got worse (image attached). Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 568
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 510
  • image-3.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 726

Joe House

If you have the latest firmware with TR2 inks, you can do the damper fill without going into the service menu. I believe it's holding down the up arrow while turning on the sub power.

Antoin

If you have the latest firmware with TR2 inks, you can do the damper fill without going into the service menu. I believe it's holding down the up arrow while turning on the sub power.

I had the same problem with the dripping tr2 ink. The Roland dealer said 2x damper fill on side-A would solve the problem. And it worked!

You can do this by turning off the printer (frontside) and pressing the pause + enter + ON buttons.
You are directly in the damper fill menu.

hummboxx

I would like to chime in on this and see what you all think about the amount of ink loss when we are told to perform 2 damper fills in hopes that this will resolve a similar issue that was supposedly fixed not more than 3 months ago. I for one have been extremely slow as of late and unfortunately I would have to order new inks to do this. Aside from my small business barely scrapping along, my supplier is also out of stock. My printer isn't even a year old and I have had ultiple issues from the get go. I have the TrueVis VG2-540. My apologies if this is ranting, just wanted someone else's' perspective.