• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VG to VG2 Firmware removes service mode, end user access deleted??

Ultraman

Ultraman
I am a service tech and I just want to say Roland did this without telling customers this lockout was hidden in the Ink firmware update.
This is why they told customers that they can do this without a service tech.
My customer didn't want nore had the time to do it.
Be forever I went out I looked into this ink update and found a compliant online that warned about this lockout.
I told the customer and they call Roland and was told they had no choice but to install it as the old would not be available.
And they have been trying to sell extended warranty's to them after locking out people who nolong have one on there printers.
The fact that this was hidden and not disclosed and trying to sell warranty's after they locked them out is nothing more then fraud.
Everyone who has a Roland should get together and file a class action lawsuit agenst Roland for this overt Deception in fraud.
Agreed! I am sure someone out there loses a big corporate clients because they unable to fix their own machine and yet Roland dealer fail in their respond time to come do it.

cornholio

I am a service tech and I just want to say Roland did this without telling customers this lockout was hidden in the Ink firmware update.
This is why they told customers that they can do this without a service tech.
My customer didn't want nore had the time to do it.
Be forever I went out I looked into this ink update and found a compliant online that warned about this lockout.
I told the customer and they call Roland and was told they had no choice but to install it as the old would not be available.
And they have been trying to sell extended warranty's to them after locking out people who nolong have one on there printers.
The fact that this was hidden and not disclosed and trying to sell warranty's after they locked them out is nothing more then fraud.
Everyone who has a Roland should get together and file a class action lawsuit agenst Roland for this overt Deception in fraud.
Hi
I've read about this in the new postings and thought, has this "new" ink finally arrived in the US?
But then i looked at the date of most postings and they were from 2019.

Most, if not all the manufacturers of printers and most other electronic devices don't want the end users to play around in the guts of the machines.
And they are mostly right about this.

I service Rolands since 1993 and i'm not happy about the Peck2.
It's a PITA.

But it's still much more pain to work with HP for example, than with Roland.

I understand end users to be pissed, when they are better at servicing their machines, than the techs they encounter...

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
Hello everyone out there.

Heads up! I have the Peck2 which doesn't want you to have a FSE account.
PM for the details.
26.01.2023_02.01.03_REC.png
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:

jeff412

I have two VG2’s and I am able to get into the service menu of both. They are both running TR2 inks. Is there something that I need to avoid to prevent being locked out of them? Our nearest service center is 3.5 hours away. I can’t afford to pay GSG $1000’s just to perform a calibration that I would normally do myself.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I have two VG2’s and I am able to get into the service menu of both. They are both running TR2 inks. Is there something that I need to avoid to prevent being locked out of them? Our nearest service center is 3.5 hours away. I can’t afford to pay GSG $1000’s just to perform a calibration that I would normally do myself.
Don't ever update your firmware.

emhmotorsports

Now I could be wrong, but my understanding that anything that runs TR2 inks (upgraded VG, VG2, VG3) has the service mode locked out. You can still perform basic maintenance tasks, but advanced procedures are locked out. I have a VG that runs firmware 3.10, but thus far have been avoiding upgrade to TR2 (firmware 4.50) due to the impending loss of service mode it would entail. I don't use the advanced features of service mode often, but have been tossing around the idea of losing them so that I no longer have to sweat the dwindling supply of white ink. I just worry that if I give it up, then I will surely have a need to read out that sensor voltage!

jeff412

Now I could be wrong, but my understanding that anything that runs TR2 inks (upgraded VG, VG2, VG3) has the service mode locked out. You can still perform basic maintenance tasks, but advanced procedures are locked out. I have a VG that runs firmware 3.10, but thus far have been avoiding upgrade to TR2 (firmware 4.50) due to the impending loss of service mode it would entail. I don't use the advanced features of service mode often, but have been tossing around the idea of losing them so that I no longer have to sweat the dwindling supply of white ink. I just worry that if I give it up, then I will surely have a need to read out that sensor voltage!
Both of our VG2's are running TR2 inks and we have access to the service menu.

Ultraman

Ultraman
Both of our VG2's are running TR2 inks and we have access to the service menu.
Well it's owner printer's anyway but if Roland chose to locked the service mode out then make sure their respond time is appropriate or next day respond time. I heard customers make to wait weeks and no one show up and not give BS about it. Any delay could cause more damage to the whole printer and loss of business therefore individual customer can take this matter to Roland on income loss

jeff412

These are new printers to us. We have GSG coming to change a couple of print heads. I plan to learn the process while they are hear so I can do it in the future. It will be 10 Days from the time I called until they are supposed to be here. Not happy about that and definitely will be doing any service I can on my own.