• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VS-640: Nozzles not working/Air bubbles on ink tubes?

Test2000

Hi everybody,

We have a Roland VS-640 with metallic/white inks. Some time ago, white ink stopped working and reagular cleaning procedures didn't fix the issue.

As we've done in the past with other solvent printers, we tried to unplug the dampers from the head, push some cleaning liquid through the head and try to unclog the nozzles, but we weren't successful.

After plugging back the dampers on the head, we appreciated a loss of ink with the rest of colors. First the cyan, light cyan and black stopped working (no fired nozzles at all), and after some cleaning procedures, the rest of colors stopped working or just fired a few nozzles.

We're suspicious that some air is currently on the ink tubes, as a result of unplugging the dampers. There are some air bubbles on the white ink channel, but can't see it on the other tubes, at least from the visible part of the tubes.

In order to remove the air from the tubes, we unplugged the dampers again and used a syringe on every damper until ink came in. However, not only the issue wasn't fixed, it even went worse, as now only a few nozzles fire from the heads.

So, here's the problem. I'm afraid that whenever I'd unplug the dampers, as soon as air is removed from a tube, air gets in a different one and so, being a vicious circle.

Selecting "ink renewal" and "ink circulation" didn't fix it either.

So, how could I solve it? Any suggestions?

I bet there should be a way to individually purge the ink tubes or at least empty the system out of inks and let me fill new ink again (similar procedure as if I wanted to transport the printer from one location to another). At least I remember a similar option with our old XJ-640, but I tried using the same button sequence to access the maintenance mode and it didn't work (perhaps I did it wrong or with a different timing), so if anyone knows the code and could send me the service repair guide, I'd be eternally grateful. Also, I don't want to disassemble the head and perform a head soak without first knowing the correct proceeding. Last I want is to damage even more the head, otherwise my head will roll.

Thanks and greetings from Spain.

CompleteHavoc

Ever find the solution to this?

I did a manual clean that resulted in the head not printing any longer. Think it could be air, replaced the cap station without any change.

Mike F

We had air in our lines on a VS-640 a few weeks ago, supposedly the only way to get it out is to use dummy cartridges to completely drain all the ink and then filling it up like you would do to a new machine. Make sure you have extra ink carts on hand, it takes quite a bit of ink and we very nearly ran out of magenta during the refill.

Jack Knight1979

Or you could buy a small syringe pull off the damper, insert the baby syringe into the damper, and suck a little ink out the line. Stop pulling once the bubbles are out. Then put the damper on, and run a cleaning cycle to prime the heads.

You'll use a fraction of ink compared to running a pump up cycle. If you're not a technical person. Do a pump up, as you could cause damage to the printer working on it in this manner.

Remember! Always unplug the unit from the wall when ever working on it. Turning it off on the back doesn't cut it.