• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland XC540 Issues... Bad Purchase?? =( Help Please.

artinojs

Hello all,

Recently purchased this used xc540 in as-is condition for what I thought was a decent deal from a print shop that was closing.

However, I have come upon a number of issues that are concerning and was hoping for any assistance/guidance.

Issues:

1. Test Print - of the ABC Test Print only C seems to be visible. (Refer to First photo)

2. Scan Motor Error Code: 0090 0080 “Motor Error Turn Machine Off” - When trying to do a VersaWorks test print, machine goes half way before giving the above error. Then it request I turn the power off. (Refer to 2nd and 3rd Photo)
I know each issue could be one of many issues but I was hoping for a step by step of small fixes escalating to big fixes so I am not spending big $ on big ticket items that could be fixed with smaller solutions.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jomarr

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 340
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_7151.JPG
    IMG_7151.JPG
    780.4 KB · Views: 262

FrankW

The Scan Motor Error is most likely a worn scan motor. In Europe, that spare part has a price tag of around 1‘100 EUR ... is similar in Dollars. Could be too (very seldom)that the rail on which the carriage is running is slightly deformed, could be tested the next time the error appears: disconnect the printhead carriage from the tool carriage (they are connected with a magnet only) and move it over the area were the head stucks: if moving by hand needs more power at this place, loosen the mounting screws of the rail ONLY AT THE POSITION wo pushing the carriage needs more power, and fix them again. Helps most of the time.

Group A and B not printing: could be the head fuses only, but could be too that the heads are dryed and blocked. Wohld be a possibility to take a syringe and trying to pull ink at the tube of the cap tops (the parts who closes the nozzle plates).

How many experience do you have with doing technical things on printers? Best suggestion could be to let someone experienced check that printer.

E Coloney

First initialize the limit function. This came from a fellow on this site but apparently it's no longer there. Apparently Mr Roland can forget where the print carriage is or something like that and must be limit initialized again. I've had my XC-540 for ~13 years and had to do it only once out of error and once more as a routine.

===
It's called LIMIT INITIALIZE. Basically when the machine "loses" itself, it has to be retold where to
start printing, and how wide the printer is (where the cutter down position is).
This is the BASIC procedure for print/cut machines. Refer to the manual or service tech for your
specific machine for any specific procedures.
1.Turn MAIN POWER OFF
2.Remove the sheet/media
3.Remove the side cover to get access to the head carriage
4.Make sure that the cut carriage and print carriage are connected.
5.Turn MAIN POWER ON
6.Press and HOLD the buttons in this order:
LEFT ARROW + UP ARROW + RIGHT ARROW
...then while holding all three buttons down press the POWER BUTTON.
7.You should see the INITIALIZE LIMIT MENU
8.Depending on the model, the caps will lower and the menu will prompt you to Set Capping
Position. Move the head carriage (while still connected to the cut carriage) to the head locked
position.
This position is critical to the success of the operation.
Move the head to the right until you hear the light click where the lock engages. You know that you
are locked when you can no longer move the head to the left. Moving the head past this point (to the
right will unlock it.) This can be a little tricky to find the first time.
9.When you are locked, press enter
10.The machine will display SETTING UP THE LIMIT and unlock the cutting carriage from the print
carriage.
11.Then the machine will display SET CUTTER DOWN POSITION. Physically move the cutting
carriage all the way over to the left until it contacts the left wall, and the sheet cut knife is locked
down. LEAVE THE CUT CARRIAGE THERE.
12.Press Enter and the cut carriage will return to the print carriage.
13.In a few seconds you should see INITIALIZE COMPLETE. If not, try again. Turn off the machine
and turn it back on. You should be good to go.
This simple procedure solves many weird motor errors and other anomalies. A good head strike can
sometime put the machine into a weird place, and this usually solves the problem.
===
If you MUST change the scan motor (it is a 'consumable' item with a limited life), you can get one from sign-in-China.com for US $158 + shipping (as of Sept 2020) with greater sensitivity than the original Roland scan motor. It's a piece of cake to change. They also have manuals for the XC-540 via download where you can find instructions on how to change it.
===
Clean and lubricate the linear bearing when you clean the print heads. That is the long, shining bar at the back which is about .75" tall. It has a groove on both the top and bottom to clean/lubricate, as well. Don't overdo it.
===
The print heads are:
A: Cyan + Magenta
B: Yellow + Black
C: Light Magenta + Light Cyan
There are two sides of each print head, each fed by a different cartridge. It is not unusual to get half a print head not printing and generally that is a cap to issue. Order up 6 new cap tops from sign-in-China.com for about $32 each. Get 12 new springs and change them, as needed. Don't fool with the cheaper knock-offs. The first time one of those goes bad and you'll wonder if you should have bought the better ones. They don't often need to be changed and the down time and aggravation are not worth doing the cheaper ones. If the heads have gone "too long" and are ruined, you can get new ones from sign-in-China for about $500: https://www.sign-in-china.com/products/19017/epson_dx4_eco_solvent_printhead.html You can change them yourself but need the manual in order to align/calibrate them. It's tedious and you may not need to do it. Be sure to power down the machine when it says to do so our you'll wind up needing a new printed circuit board for the carriage. I've got the T-Shirt to prove it. Get 12 new dampers if you start changing print heads. Always change 2 dampers with each new print head.

Before you start changing out print heads, do a powerful cleaning or two to see if one of them comes back. Ink is expensive to waste but this is not a waste and is FAR CHEAPER and more convenient than buying new print heads and changing them when you don't need to. Literally, it probably doesn't cost but a few bucks to do a powerful cleaning. If one comes back, you can selectively skip pairs of heads during the cleaning process to save some ink. Check the drain bottle is not full before you start.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Michael Ford

Hello all,

Recently purchased this used xc540 in as-is condition for what I thought was a decent deal from a print shop that was closing.

However, I have come upon a number of issues that are concerning and was hoping for any assistance/guidance.

Issues:

1. Test Print - of the ABC Test Print only C seems to be visible. (Refer to First photo)

2. Scan Motor Error Code: 0090 0080 “Motor Error Turn Machine Off” - When trying to do a VersaWorks test print, machine goes half way before giving the above error. Then it request I turn the power off. (Refer to 2nd and 3rd Photo)
I know each issue could be one of many issues but I was hoping for a step by step of small fixes escalating to big fixes so I am not spending big $ on big ticket items that could be fixed with smaller solutions.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jomarr
I agree with reinitializing the machine, but first you will want to clean the encoder strip and sensor. You could also have bad head cables which can blow the fuses on the print head board. These are 3.15 amp nano fuses on the board and just click in. I would not losen the linear rail, lots of problems can come from that but for sure clean and lubricate it. Other posts are on the money. If you power the machine up while holding the up arrow, then you will be taken directly to the initialization menu

artinojs

The Scan Motor Error is most likely a worn scan motor. In Europe, that spare part has a price tag of around 1‘100 EUR ... is similar in Dollars. Could be too (very seldom)that the rail on which the carriage is running is slightly deformed, could be tested the next time the error appears: disconnect the printhead carriage from the tool carriage (they are connected with a magnet only) and move it over the area were the head stucks: if moving by hand needs more power at this place, loosen the mounting screws of the rail ONLY AT THE POSITION wo pushing the carriage needs more power, and fix them again. Helps most of the time.

Group A and B not printing: could be the head fuses only, but could be too that the heads are dryed and blocked. Wohld be a possibility to take a syringe and trying to pull ink at the tube of the cap tops (the parts who closes the nozzle plates).

How many experience do you have with doing technical things on printers? Best suggestion could be to let someone experienced check that printer.

First initialize the limit function. This came from a fellow on this site but apparently it's no longer there. Apparently Mr Roland can forget where the print carriage is or something like that and must be limit initialized again. I've had my XC-540 for ~13 years and had to do it only once out of error and once more as a routine.

===
It's called LIMIT INITIALIZE. Basically when the machine "loses" itself, it has to be retold where to
start printing, and how wide the printer is (where the cutter down position is).
This is the BASIC procedure for print/cut machines. Refer to the manual or service tech for your
1.Turn MAIN POWER OFF
2.Remove the sheet/media
5.Turn MAIN POWER ON
8.Depending on the model, the caps will lower and the menu will prompt you to Set Capping
Position. Move the head carriage (while still connected to the cut carriage) to the head locked
position.
Move the head to the right until you hear the light click where the lock engages. You know that you
are locked when you can no longer move the head to the left. Moving the head past this point (to the
10.The machine will display SETTING UP THE LIMIT and unlock the cutting carriage from the print
carriage.
11.Then the machine will display SET CUTTER DOWN POSITION. Physically move the cutting
carriage all the way over to the left until it contacts the left wall, and the sheet cut knife is locked
13.In a few seconds you should see INITIALIZE COMPLETE. If not, try again. Turn off the machine
This simple procedure solves many weird motor errors and other anomalies. A good head strike can
sometime put the machine into a weird place, and this usually solves the problem.
===
If you MUST change the scan motor (it is a 'consumable' item with a limited life), you can get one from sign-in-China.com for US $158 + shipping (as of Sept 2020) with greater sensitivity than the original Roland scan motor. It's a piece of cake to change. They also have manuals for the XC-540 via download where you can find instructions on how to change it.
===
Clean and lubricate the linear bearing when you clean the print heads. That is the long, shining bar at the back which is about .75" tall. It has a groove on both the top and bottom to clean/lubricate, as well. Don't overdo it.
===
The print heads are:
There are two sides of each print head, each fed by a different cartridge. It is not unusual to get half a print head not printing and generally that is a cap to issue. Order up 6 new cap tops from sign-in-China.com for about $32 each. Get 12 new springs and change them, as needed. Don't fool with the cheaper knock-offs. The first time one of those goes bad and you'll wonder if you should have bought the better ones. They don't often need to be changed and the down time and aggravation are not worth doing the cheaper ones. If the heads have gone "too long" and are ruined, you can get new ones from sign-in-China for about $500: https://www.sign-in-china.com/products/19017/epson_dx4_eco_solvent_printhead.html You can change them yourself but need the manual in order to align/calibrate them. It's tedious and you may not need to do it. Be sure to power down the machine when it says to do so our you'll wind up needing a new printed circuit board for the carriage. I've got the T-Shirt to prove it. Get 12 new dampers if you start changing print heads. Always change 2 dampers with each new print head.

Before you start changing out print heads, do a powerful cleaning or two to see if one of them comes back. Ink is expensive to waste but this is not a waste and is FAR CHEAPER and more convenient than buying new print heads and changing them when you don't need to. Literally, it probably doesn't cost but a few bucks to do a powerful cleaning. If one comes back, you can selectively skip pairs of heads during the cleaning process to save some ink. Check the drain bottle is not full before you start.

Hope this helps.
I

Thanks for your response... I have experience with the Roland bn20 and business steadily increasing was the reason for this purchase. So I have no experience with this unit. I was able to get the code 0090 0080 error corrected with the aid of another members suggestion of the initialization start up mode so I am very thankful for that.

Can you please go into detail on using a syringe to get these lines filled as I see no movement of ink during the cleaning process except for the 2 lines that seem to print during the test print.

(Refer to photos)

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Really hoping not to have purchase new heads but am willing to after exhausting all suggestions.

Thanks.

Attachments

• F7628A36-7C62-43A0-8D2A-10281B744E70.jpeg
    F7628A36-7C62-43A0-8D2A-10281B744E70.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 194
  • D452FE49-66A0-4FF2-9F0C-07178904A309.jpeg
    D452FE49-66A0-4FF2-9F0C-07178904A309.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 173

artinojs

===
1.Turn MAIN POWER OFF
2.Remove the sheet/media
5.Turn MAIN POWER ON
position.
carriage.
===
===
===
The print heads are:

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for this helpful information. I was able to get “Mr. Roland” to figure who and where he is because of your input.

After a versa work test print, it was able to complete without error. So I am cautiously optimistic that this issue is resolved for the time being.

That being said, I am still trying to get “Mr. Roland” to remember what his purpose is and that is to print.

Upgrading from a bn20 to this, I do not have much experience but am willing to open things up and Safely tinker.

After numerous YouTube’s and browsing this forum i was able to safely open the machine up and familiarize myself with “dampers, head caps, pumps, etc...”

New head caps are currently on the way.

what I’ve noticed is that the lines that are not printing are the same lines that are not pumping ink during the cleaning cycle. The pumps are moving fine but the ink is not flowing. Any ideas on how to use a syringe to force air flow and get these lines filled with some ink? Refer to photos of the current head caps that are on the machine and the lines that are not filling with ink.

Procedures and suggestions, greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 005570C5-A907-4CBE-BA6C-A8FFD26BBFB4.jpeg
    005570C5-A907-4CBE-BA6C-A8FFD26BBFB4.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 182
  • 58221333-9E43-4618-AEE5-E7F453A1D8AB.jpeg
    58221333-9E43-4618-AEE5-E7F453A1D8AB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 177

E Coloney

A syringe or brake bleeder will work to put a small vacuum on the affected heads. You may have to try different combinations of tubing (sometimes tubing into tubing) to match it up. Perhaps it's easiest to order a little kit: https://www.amazon.com/Printers-Printhead-Cleaning-Printer-Maintenance/dp/B075XLQH4T

It's possible that those cap tops are plugged completely (been there, seen that) and changing the cap tops will correct it. There should be some resistance when you gently "pull" the ink through. Don't pull too hard because you can damage the head. Pull the ink from the pump end of the tube. If there is no resistance then you have a poor seal. Generally, if the cap tops and heads are good, a cleaning will suffice.

Don't "push" the ink from the top through the damper toward the head (the damper could fail and cause a huge mess).

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Oh boy. Definitely replace the captops when you get them. I'd also consider replacing all the tubes from the cleaning side. At least take all of them out and clean them with a wire or something. You also need to make sure the pumps actually suck. They can spin all day long but you won't know if they pump or not.