• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rotary trimmer

Signed Out

Getting ready to do another 54' trailer wrap and thinking it may be time to purchase a table top rotarty trimmer, dreading the thought of clamping straight edge cuting re clamping... Do most of you use a table top rotary trimmer to trim these edges? I think I'd like to get a 120" one, looking at the keencut evolution e2. Does anybody have one of these and care to give some feedback? I imagine that it would be much quicker and easier for 1 person to the trimming by themselves. How well do they cut through laminated and masked vinyl?

Would a rotary trimmer like this also be useful for cutting apart sheets of decals? currently we will trim the sheets down into strips with a straight edge, and then chop the strips with a guilitine cutter. Probably would use the rotary trimmer to cut the sheets into strips and then still use the guilitine cutter to chop up the strips?

Any feedback or advice on a table top rotary trimmer is greatly appreciated.

Circleville Signs

A rotary trimmer is a nice tool to have, and it will cut the way you need it to - however, unless you are doing these types of project on a consistent basis it sure seems like a bit of a waste of resources. You still have to line up the panel, and run the cutting tool down the line. Only different is you aren't "clamping". Which you shouldn't need to do anyways....

Signed Out

I must be missing something... neither of you clamp your straight edges before you trim? Do you just hold the straight edge really good? Does your straight edge have some sort of low tack material on it?

The straight edge I use and kinda hate is just an extruded piece of aluminum that is 2 48" sections that slide into eachother for a 96". When put together it never seems straight so I use just the 48" piece usually. hmm.. maybe I should be looking into a better straight edge.

Dakotagrafx

all my straight edges have a rubber on the bottom - holds the material well. I also have a NEOLT rotary trimmer on a stand and love it - great for separating the decals when printing large groups. it gets used every day!

Signed Out

yeah my straight edge sucks. forget the rotarty trimmer for now. Going to get a good straight edge. Looking through fellers at the big blue and the sooper edge purple. Are these what you all use? Is the puple worth the extra $40?

Sticky Signs

3M makes an anti-slip tape that you can buy at a hardware store for 10 bucks. Slap that on the bottom of your straight edge.

Signed Out

straight edge.jpg

My straight edge... LOL just bare aluminum on the bottom, very slippery. I'll grab some of that 3m tape and help this one out but still want to get a better one. The big blue and purple have a nice ridge so you can actually hold the thing.

Signed Out

pub.jpg

Hey circleville, thanks for your advice on flooding this sign with epoxy. picture doesnt really do it justice but it looks sweet.

The Equipment Guy

We sell the Evolution, never had a comeback or unhappy client with these. They will do all the things you asked about. Great machine.

What they wont do, which you will need different tools for is an overlap cut on a vehicle (or sign) where you cut both sides at the same time (of course)

When you consider rulers like the big blue etc, consider the types...

The ones that are straight aluminum with a square profile make it easy to keep your knife straight and upright, allowing a very straight accurate cut. Because these are aluminum, they do wear out and need to be replaced regularly.

There are also the type with a stainless insert. These are good for general cutting, but the profile is usually round, therefor while they last forever, right from the start, they have a touch of a wobble factor.

Also consider a good cutting mat, not necessarily the re-healing type but make sure that it is a mat where when it has cuts in it, your knife will not fall into and follow the cuts...this can be costly and frustrating.

There's tech in every tool I guess, lol. For the longest time I thought a ruler was a ruler. (Maybe thats cause I use my kindergarten wooden ruler when I do engine work on my old Harley, lol)

Hope that helps,

Rooster

I picked up a 100" roland cutter for a steal at an auction one weekend.

It cut the time I spent slicing panels in half. If I had of known what a time saver they were I would have paid full pop years ago. It's especially good with sintra like substrates since they'll usually require a number of shallower cuts to get a nice edge and with the roland it's just a matter of making sure I don't too fast and start to tear the material and it's done in one cut.