• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RS Laminator speed is off

backwoodsgirl

Since you guys were so helpful with my first question here's another mystery to solve :)
I just bought a used Royal Sovereign cold laminator. It will only start to move when I click it up to level 3 speed and even that is snail slow. My last RS laminator ran at speed 1, usually didn't have to go past 2.
Is the machine wearing out, something need oiled or adjusted or what? It's not a problem at this point just don't want to run it like this if something isn't right.

Already checked the tension on the laminate roll, it was tight but loosening it hasn't helped at all.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
With the rollers completely open do they rotate at speed 1?
Only the bottom roller will move when not clamped down, so you might need to get close to the action to see what's happening.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
From outward appearances, the laminator behaves the same as ours.
I'm not sure what to suggest next however. Everything seems to be operating as it should.
We had an issue this morning where our leader board got stuck (rollers weren't open enough to let it through when following a job) so we had to lift the roller and everything was back to normal.
I wish I had something more creative to input.

backwoodsgirl

Well crap you were supposed to have a solution for me :rolleyes: maybe I'll reach out to RS and see what they say. Curious mostly, it is getting the job done at least.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
the motor on the laminator may need a new start/run capacitor. or the motor may be getting tight, needing lubrication.
i have never touched a royal sovereign, we have a seal.
i will look at a wiring diagram

backwoodsgirl

I'd appreciate any help you can give. I don't know how to lubricate the motor.

the motor on the laminator may need a new start/run capacitor. or the motor may be getting tight, needing lubrication.

backwoodsgirl

I'd appreciate any help you can give. I don't know how to lubricate the motor.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
first, i was mistaken, RS laminators have a dc motor, not ac. no capacitor.
they have a dc power supply.
first, what model is it?
we need at least a user manual,
we start by identifying lubrication points

additional question, when you set the speed control "too low" to move does it do anything?
is there a hum? vibration? or just nothing?

at that same speed setting, will it start empty? i mean with no substrate, laminate or liner in the machine?