• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RV Decal swish problem

decalman

These are the old decals I've made new ones all in pieces
I've got these swishes . The customer is scraped off the old ones
. I didn't make the wave yet. 2 of the decal tips overlap that wave thing, leaving a little space with a clean impression of the decal.
If I Only had go through with one decal this wouldn't be that hard.. but I can't figure out how to cut that new wave and have both of those swish tips lined up perfect harmony..
Knifeless tape won't work here but I need to do something like that I think.

I'd sure appreciate some solution for this thank you.
IMG_20230412_085046708.jpg
aa

decalman

The spaces between the tips of the swishes is the issue here.. what's the best way to go about creating these two areas ?

...... I think I will just have to install the new ones and then take a picture of it and vector draw that wave mountain thing and create the space is that the swish overlaps and just hope it all fits.... If anyone has a better idea , I like to hear it.

Bengt Backhaus

You are going to cut and install all of it?
Then I would probably cut the wave with the intendations and install that first.
Then i would install the rest to fit the wave.

decalman

You are going to cut and install all of it?
Then I would probably cut the wave with the intendations and install that first.
Then i would install the rest to fit the wave.
I see what you're saying but those swishes have to go in the exact place ....to cover up the ghosting.. I think I will put them on first, then I will create that wave thing.. maybe just the bottom part, because that has to be done with a plotter... I might just hand trace that top decal, and do it that way., not sure.
It's like plot or cut the both of them they might not be exact fits. Something like this has to be absolute exact.. one way or the other I will accomplish this... I will send pictures when I'm done. PTL.

decalman

Just redo the whole thing
I am redoing the whole thing I haven't put anything on yet I'm looking for suggestions on how this is performed?
How about the client buy a new vehicle..., yeah, that's a very nice expensive idea.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm sure you have already considered this but could you do a bottom layer of white where your outline is? Or remove the graphics, buff it all then install the new ones. The little difference in color where the cut out is should fade in eventually? This is like changing the name on a boat.

decalman

I'm sure you have already considered this but could you do a bottom layer of white where your outline is? Or remove the graphics, buff it all then install the new ones. The little difference in color where the cut out is should fade in eventually? This is like changing the name on a boat.
Yes thank you that is an idea I did think of.... putting a bottom layer of the white, but I've got two different kinds of vinyl and they won't expand and shrink together..
But I will still give that more thought.. thanks again

unclebun

If you make exact duplicates of the original shapes, you would tape your upper pieces over the ghosted locations. Then position the wave piece to line up with them. After installing the wave piece, you would then install the upper pieces to fit in the cutouts for the swoosh tips.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Either put your wave down, then the swooshes and handcut the wave outline..... or put the swooshes down, then the wave and then cut your wave outline. If you don't feel comfortable with hand cutting, use knife tape.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm confused. I thought he was trying to oversize to cover ghosting but that would kind of screw up where the cutouts are?

somcalmetim

You just need to trace those shapes better/tighter on the picture and scale it properly...you can put a small 0.06" or 0.09" outline on the shapes to help it fit/install easier...should all cut easily on a plotter but you can also print/plot a cheap paper pattern first to check your lines...if you have good straight on pics to start with it should be easy to retrace/size and cut all that to fit with no hand trimming...biggest problem with RVs is usually either getting the old decals off or getting the new ones to stick to chaulky gelcoat

Last edited:

decalman

I finished this over a week ago. The problem is solved. The guy changed his mind about the wave because the wave color didn't match...
Job completed. The new decals look great.
Customer very happy.
Time to go on to the next thing..

Attachments

• IMG_20230419_103917591.jpg
    IMG_20230419_103917591.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20230418_095229466_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230418_095229466_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20230418_095243269_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230418_095243269_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 77