• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question S75T Blade Selection

David40

I am contour cutting some 6 Mil bumper sticker vinyl and the sharp corners are not cutting well. I would like to know if I should be using the 60 degree blade instead of the 36 degree blade, or is there something else I should be looking at? I am using the Tangential blade holder.

David40

Any kind of a sharp corner of 30 degrees or less is not cutting through. As I try to peel off the sticker or weed the outside tight corners like that will still be attached and the sticker will tear before it pulls apart.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
One thing you could try in this case would be to increase your overcut value slightly. If it is set to 0.1mm maybe increase that to 0.2 or 0.3mm and that will extend the cut in the corners a bit further, hopefully completing the cut on the underneath side of the material. Some adhesives can gum up a little as well so it's possible that after the cut is done the adhesive is holding the shapes down preventing them from weeding correctly. You can test that theory by using the same file with a different material to see if you get improved results.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

David40

One thing you could try in this case would be to increase your overcut value slightly. If it is set to 0.1mm maybe increase that to 0.2 or 0.3mm and that will extend the cut in the corners a bit further, hopefully completing the cut on the underneath side of the material. Some adhesives can gum up a little as well so it's possible that after the cut is done the adhesive is holding the shapes down preventing them from weeding correctly. You can test that theory by using the same file with a different material to see if you get improved results.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com
Thanks for the suggestions, but I believe the overcut adjustment is only available if using the drag blade holder. I am using the tangential holder. I could be wrong but I am not seeing overcut as an available option in the cutter configuration settings. I was normally cutting 2 and 3 Mil material so this 6 Mil is a new experience

Saturn

Aging Member
Settings>Advanced cutting>Overcut - at the plotter?

If you're trying to cut all the way through the material you also could try two+ cuts instead of one—if you aren't already. I cut everything twice by default, and three times if it's a "wiry" complex shape. If you're NOT cutting through the backing it should work great with one pass.

You might check that your blade tip hasn't chipped too.

David40

Oh thanks, I did not see that before. I am going to try to increase that and re-calibrate the blade depth.

jerry369

I believe the overcut adjustment is only available if using the drag blade holder. I am using the tangential holder.

That's the knife offset, and it is defined for drag knifes only.

Overcut can be defined for both tangential and drag cutting