• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sabre 408 with Saftronics GP5 Inverter

UniqueSignsUSA

We've had problems getting one of our router's spindle to work. We narrowed it down to the inverter. It was sent for repair and now that everything is hooked up we still can not get the spindle to kick on. We matched most of the parameters that we got directly from Gerber so the machines can communicate. The only one that is an issue is the 'Motor rated current'. It will not go above 12A, if I set any higher it gives 'Err' and resets to 12, and Gerber says it must be 17A. As it is, it will run manually from the inverter but once it it changed to REMOTE, the router just spits out a spindle error. We have an identical working machine and we have swapped over the inverter and it works. We have made sure the DUart board is good as well. Anybody has ever had to deal with this inverted before?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
if i was guessing, i would say they might have given you an exchange, instead of repairing yours. (perfectly acceptable option)
they might have exchanged for a 12A max unit?

honestly, i am not familiar enough with these, perhaps there is a dip switch in the wrong position?

hopefully, someone with specific Gerber Sabre experience can chime in

netsol

Premium Subscriber
i wonder if the confusion isn't between single phase and three phase power

if a single phase spindle would require 17 amps, a 3 phase would require 12.

i wonder if gerber is giving you the wrong specs, (wrong power requirement) or if , as i suggested, you are installing a wrong "exchange" unit?

UniqueSignsUSA

if i was guessing, i would say they might have given you an exchange, instead of repairing yours. (perfectly acceptable option)
they might have exchanged for a 12A max unit?

honestly, i am not familiar enough with these, perhaps there is a dip switch in the wrong position?

hopefully, someone with specific Gerber Sabre experience can chime in

Have you asked the folks that repaired it?
I'm quite sure it is the exact same unit we sent out but I will ask if there could be any dip switches that are not so obvious at a glance
i wonder if the confusion isn't between single phase and three phase power

if a single phase spindle would require 17 amps, a 3 phase would require 12.

i wonder if gerber is giving you the wrong specs, (wrong power requirement) or if , as i suggested, you are installing a wrong "exchange" unit?
I believe this should not be a problem because we switched the inverter from our other machine and its basically identical just slight model difference and even the parameters are the same and it works just fine so that's why we think the issue is some configuration or communication with this inverter

netsol

Premium Subscriber
ok, but, shouldn't the item come back to you as a "drop in"?
a few settings changes, perhaps, but not requiring an engineering team?
my only point is, we often look to accomplish a repair "on the cheap" & in so doing, acquire an understanding
of equipment's inner workings that no one ever intended, but, it doesn't sound like this is what you did.
i would have to agree with jburton, your repair compsny should be supporting you in this.

i wish i could offer more than general advice, i will continue to follow the thread, in case it wanders back into
an area i am more familisr with

JBurton

Signtologist
I believe this should not be a problem because we switched the inverter from our other machine and its basically identical just slight model difference and even the parameters are the same and it works just fine so that's why we think the issue is some configuration or communication with this inverter
Configuration or communication on the router controller side? If that's the case, the repaired inverter should work on the other machine, which is worth swapping around to see. If you ask me, if the inverter from another machine works, then it's the inverter you had repaired that is the issue.