• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SAi license scam

WildWestDesigns

Even plugins for CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator can do the job. Some vinyl cutters throw in some basic cutting software. This situation has apps like Flexi inching farther and farther into irrelevance.

Depending on the cutter, if the cutter can handle something like RAW HPGL and just parse what it needs from that, don't actually need a plugin for that at all. Set it up as a generic printer in the OS (last time that I had used Windows, this was supported, it is support on Linux, I have no idea on Macs, while I have used Macs over the decades since back in the 80s, this type of mucking around was not apart of that) and "print" from the vector software of choice to the cutter. It just depends on if the cutter can handle that format or not. That actually would make some plugins not even necessary.

In general terms of companies strong arming things, I think things are up in the air, some companies sure may not do it and may actually do right by their customers. I'm just talking in general terms here. Part of this is that these are other people's tools. They are able to change how they conduct things. EULAs, changes to them etc are also being challenged right now (even retroactive changes, in other words, instead of being bound by the terms of the EULA that you agreed to when you got your software (and people agree to these terms just by installing said software), you are now bound to the EULA of the latest version, an agreement that you may not have made with the software version that you did get). Not in this industry, but it can definitely trickle down to this and others if it starts to get normalized.

What I really find funny though, talking about the aspects of software that isn't useful etc. Bare in mind, in most software(open, close, free, and/or costly out the ying-yang) there is a clause that says that the software may not be fit for a particular purpose and it is presented "as-is" in the disclaimer/warranty section (typically in that section anyway). I do believe that there is a caveat of things that may be explicitly stated elsewhere that may be covered, but I'm willing to bet that it's vague enough that there is plenty of wiggle room. Just keep that in mind with any software that one gets, regardless of what developmental method it has chosen.

Now this is just me ranting/speculating based on things that I'm seeing/reading etc, in my own non legal mind, so take it for what that is worth. I just know that all my tools have certain licenses and I have certain powers to do what I want with them. Or in some cases, it's tools that I have written myself. I do make concessions where I'm comfortable doing so, but I always do so with the thought of an escape plan, for lack of a better phrase. Ironically, as much as I love my tech, I'm glad that I can still do things traditionally, so unless they start leasing that type of tooling (which at this point, I wouldn't be surprised), I should be ok, but I digress.

I used one license on a couple of machines previously/
Trick is to set up a virtual machine, install the software, activate etc and then disconnect the computer from accessing the internet.
Then you can copy the virtual machine to multiple machines.

One caveat there is that VMs still can react to the change in shared hardware (the hardware that is used to help boost the performance of VMs). Some changes may be slight enough not to trigger it, but there are times when a change could. Unless you are able to spoof very specific hardware in said VM, which would not be apart of the easy install of said VM.

Now, if one was to emulate, that could be something else, but the reason it would be a pro, would be it's con as the performance would be bunk as it would be all software based.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
I'm still on Flexi 10. I tried the latest one last week when setting up a new office and it doesn't do ANYTHING different.

As to what it does "better", it supports newer printers that ver. 10 doesn't. If you don't upgrade your hardware, you're fine. Only thing design-wise I found better in versions after ver. 10.5.1 is drop shadowing and the RIP in ver. 12 appears to be the best. Flexi v22 RIP is still buggy and gives problems every now and then.

Dale D

Ive been wanting to be rid of Sai for some time now. I just havent taken the time to learn Onyx or another program.
I have used Teamviewer from a remote PC using Flexi. Only problem is, my shop PC has 4 screens and my laptop has 1 so it can be fun changing screens in Teamviewer.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
If it were me, I'd clone the HD of the computer and install it in the other machine. Just a thought.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
The last time I looked, the people creating the software where in business to sell software. If you are working at home, you can Remote Desktop in to use the software or if you really need to commute and have it with you, load it on a laptop. I don't have any issues with them charging because their terms were violated. It sucks. But so does having your software shared and not being reimbursed... No different then giving your art files away for free to have your customer use another printer, no?

This...

This is very common. Especially for industry specific software.

RDP into your work computer. Set up a VPN with openVPN. or use Teamviewer or Anydesk.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I use Splashtop....its cheap
I use VPN and RDP. It's easier (for me)

When i use the VPN
I can RDP in to my RIP PC or any VM on my server.
And i can just SSH (PuTTY) into other VMs.
It's like im at work, at home. Also if you have a network licence, like onyx thrive, you can still use it.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
the software companies have become leaches. In the coming future, software costs will get high enough that they become a burden like insurance

JBurton

Signtologist
So at this point, there is no such thing as "Flexi Cloud", it's just flexi activated through saicloud.com? And the monthly cost is less than this fee to reactivate? This is madness!

I almost went there...
Most routing tables need their own applications
Don't forget, flexi is fully unable to include mist and acceleration commands in gcode! Reminder to anyone in need of CAM software, Sheetcam is a one time fee and the owner will custom build post processors.

WildWestDesigns

I almost went there...
Rather people like it or not, I would speculate we will be there.

I imagine that other companies are going, how can we leverage this with our own offerings? I would imagine that companies whose software is getting long in the tooth would especially be thinking of this as it's getting harder and harder to get people to upgrade the old way. Remember Saas in general had a singular point of entry (at least for me) in terms of software that is used as a tool to create things being leveraged as a subscription, not necessarily for end customer consumption directly and that has propagated to other industries.

While, in of itself, I don't begrudge any company for trying to make money. The biggest question is how. Now times change, which means changes in tact, but the end user also needs to evaluate if they should stick with it after said changes. "Digital Feudalism" here we come.

Notarealsignguy

I don't begrudge any company for trying to make money. The biggest question is how. Now times change, which means changes in tact, but the end user also needs to evaluate if they should stick with it after said changes. "Digital Feudalism" here we come.
There's a line between making money and outright hosing people. Current corporate strategy seems to have embraced the latter

WildWestDesigns

There's a line between making money and outright hosing people. Current corporate strategy seems to have embraced the latter
As I said, it depends on the "how".

I do agree with you and it's only going to get worse. People should really have been fighting some of this stuff when licensing/costs etc were changing 10-12 yrs ago. This is just the natural progression from that and even if right now a software OEM (or even a hardware OEM, I have seen some questionable things come out of hardware OEMs as well) isn't doing X, there is nothing to say that they won't do it a year or more down the line as well.

Notarealsignguy

As I said, it depends on the "how".

I do agree with you and it's only going to get worse. People should really have been fighting some of this stuff when licensing/costs etc were changing 10-12 yrs ago. This is just the natural progression from that and even if right now a software OEM (or even a hardware OEM, I have seen some questionable things come out of hardware OEMs as well) isn't doing X, there is nothing to say that they won't do it a year or more down the line as well.
It never works like that. We see it, watch it, complain to nobody important, then suck it up and take it.
Our government can't even legislate it's way out of a wet paper bag. Anytime they actually manage to address anything it takes 10 years and they invite the industries that are doing the fuck*ng to help them craft new laws. It goes beyond software, just look at all the new machinery on the market that is not user serviceable due to software lockouts. It's all bullshit. Hell, even the local government locks you out of doing a lot of your own building and building maintenance through their contractor laws and permitting nonsense.

JBurton

Signtologist
it's getting harder and harder to get people to upgrade the old way.
Not saying you're wrong, but I would totally buy a boxed version of Coreldraw 23 if they just called it XX3, also if they kept their upgrade program in place. Though the corel.app or whatever is super useful when you need to make a quick change and don't have a real pc handy, you can do it from a chromebook or even a hotel courtesy desktop.
Our government can't even legislate it's way out of a wet paper bag.
You're kidding right? I mean they beat the tits off ticketmaster! Now your one or two tickets a year will have full pricing disclosed. In the meantime, let me catch one of these dozen scam calls a day...

Dale D

ONlY reason I did the subscription was when Flexi went 64 bit, I could handle much larger graphics without crashing my PC
If it were me, I'd clone the HD of the computer and install it in the other machine. Just a thought.
I was planning on leaving Flexi due to 3 months of crashing when I did full wraps on trucks with vectors. When they went 64 bit, I stayed around as it fixed that. Ive just been gritting my teeth as I had not had time to learn/change over to another software. I went to leave Adobe and go to Corel & Affinity cause I hate subscriptions, and as I was, I learned of their new AI, so I kept it till others come out with similar.

WildWestDesigns

It never works like that. We see it, watch it, complain to nobody important, then suck it up and take it.
I never said to do it that way. Why would that work?

As long as companies are getting people to buy into their new ways of making money, even if they do complain about it, so what, they have their money.

People need to be willing to pull up stakes and go elsewhere. Complaining in of itself doesn't do squat. Have to act on it as well. It is "painful", but if unwilling to back up what one says, complaining is just a bluff.

I say this as someone that has moved off of a lot of this stuff (not just programs, but OS as well and not one most think about either), and the two areas that I have made concessions with, still do licensing the old way (I, however, do have alternates in case they change how they do things as well).

Our government can't even legislate it's way out of a wet paper bag. Anytime they actually manage to address anything it takes 10 years and they invite the industries that are doing the fuck*ng to help them craft new laws. It goes beyond software, just look at all the new machinery on the market that is not user serviceable due to software lockouts. It's all bullshit. Hell, even the local government locks you out of doing a lot of your own building and building maintenance through their contractor laws and permitting nonsense.
The last place that I would want help in this regard is the government. Most of them don't even understand tech to begin with, why would I want them charged with trying to fix this mess?

Not saying you're wrong, but I would totally buy a boxed version of Coreldraw 23 if they just called it XX3, also if they kept their upgrade program in place.
If the old way was kept, I would as well. I used to buy every new release of Adobe Master Suite(sans 5.5, a point release should never have been a full independent release, but I digress) and I used to buy it new, no upgrade (I hated that old, have to install the old versions, before the upgrade version scheme when changing computers etc) with each release. I still prefer buying perpetual copies of a single software that goes for $15k versus doing the subscription.

JBurton

Signtologist
I went to leave Adobe and go to Corel & Affinity cause I hate subscriptions, and as I was, I learned of their new AI, so I kept it till others come out with similar.
Ya know you can use the generative fill and image generation features without paying for a subscription?