• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Salary Range

RoCo

Hopefully this is the correct section for this type of question. Looking for the average salary range for a wide/grand format press operator with 10+ years experience. Interviewing one now who seems promising and want to make sure I'm competitive with what I offer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

DigitalBBQ

to make sure I'm competitive with what I offer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Despite the fact that what you paying the person is confidential, but to see if you over par or under par by asking general public:

What is your standard in measuring competitiveness when you want to pay someone that is going to be your employee who actually will making you the MONEY $$$$$ ?

Education , Business Skills, Production Skills, Certification, or Productivities per base on your business activities and earning ?

Also how would you know your competitor's standard in compensate qualify personal ?

Do you already thinking that you pay too much for the person ?

The suggestion is that you should pay the human according to the qualification, skills, and experience vs. the productivities of your business level rather than voting for the best rate!

People generally want good pay and bonuses so they can buy stocks, SUV with v8, flat panel TV, mortgage(s), pay property taxes, child support, etc. Dont' they ?

Sorry to be a bit social concerns the profiling as such, but you asking the society on this!

grafixemporium

Huh? What kind of response is that? "Do you already thinking..."? WTF?

Seems like a simple enough question. However, your answer will vary greatly depending on your location. The cost of living and the average wage is considerably less in Houston, Texas than it is in San Jose, California for instance.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not sure you can or will get a reasonable answer that includes a number. Appropriate wages are determined by the free market although you could average out that number if you had enough examples.

The reality is determined by the answers to these questions ...

1. Is the applicant right for your company?

2. Is your company right for the applicant?

3. What compensation is adequate to meet the applicant's needs and cause the applicant to feel lucky to be employed by you?

4. Does the proposed compensation leave you adequate room to employ the applicant at a level of profitably with which you are satisfied?

As with any free market endeavor, both you and the applicant can drive yourself crazy worrying about whether or not you could have got him to sign on for less and for him to drive himself crazy worrying about could he have held out for more. The rational thing to do is to strive for a meeting of the minds with which you are both satisfied based on your business overhead and objectives and his personal overhead and objectives. It doesn't matter if you end up paying him $30 an hour and you could have hired him for $17.50. What does matter is if you have the work flow and pricing to employ him while making a profit from his efforts that meets your needs.

mark in tx

How much are you prepared to pay?

Meaning,
have you budgeted the position, what percent of operating expense can you afford?

You need that number in mind before you offer a salary or an hourly wage.
Yes, as a manager or owner, you don't want to pay more than you have to, but at the same time, you don't want resentment to build from a worker over pay.

Sticky Signs

A good press operator is worth his weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. With 10+ years experience he's a bit of a dinosaur in the world of digital printing. That means he has lots of knowledge regarding software/hardware, materials, production, etc,etc,etc. I'm sure he can bring skills and tricks of the trade to the table that will prove to be invaluable in the long run. A good press operator will save you time, money and material by getting the job printed right the first time. Plus you will not have to train him which can be quite costly. I understand that you do not want to overpay/underpay him. I think your best bet is to ask how much $$$$ he expects. I'd offer less for the first 3 months of probation with the condition that his number will be met if he meets or exceeds your expectations. IE - if he's asking for 20$/hr, offer him 18$/hr for the first 3 months. If everything works out the way you want after 3 months, give him the 20 bucks.

After all, he'll be in charge of running your expensive equipment. Plus he'll be in charge of printing thousands of dollars of material for you.

Some people operate printers for a living. Some do it because they are passionate about it, love it and want to learn more in order to become better at it.

jiarby

I am with sticky...

Offer a probationary rate, then give him a raise or a bonus to go perm in a few months after you get to see if he REALLY knows what he says he does.

If he is such a great guy then why doesn't he have a job, or why doesn't he have a printer of his own... I'd dig deeper and see where the bruises are on his banana. If ya know what I mean!

imagep

As in any business purchasing decision, you need to pay as little as possible and still get a good quality product that does what you need it to do.