• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sales Taxes

Is anyone else writing their customers to fight sales tax implementation?

Here is email we sent out.

Attachments

• NO-Tax-Slider.png
    NO-Tax-Slider.png
    253.1 KB · Views: 115

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm not ... but that's because I have very mixed feelings about it.

• It would be a bookkeeping nightmare as proposed where the seller would collect sales tax for every state.
  • Even though I buy my share of stuff online, I think avoiding sales tax is an unfair advantage for online/out of state sellers and is very likely having a detrimental effect on local businesses.

Tdewitt

Why should you not have to charge my neighbor tax for a sale but I do? I'm sorry but I think it will help local business out. Not having to compete with someone online that is charging the same amount but the local guy gets beat up trying to match the online price.

legacyborn

Aren't they just changing the system and not creating something new? In California we are supposed to pay Use Tax on the item if we didn't pay sales tax. It's all about where the item is consumed or used. There is a lot of tax evasion because most people don't even know that they are supposed to self assess and pay this tax. I don't like that the burden is being put onto businesses and that it is being made so difficult (lets make a flat internet tax and that gets paid to each state for each sale in their state, its a butt load more money than they are getting now)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I'm not ... but that's because I have very mixed feelings about it.

• It would be a bookkeeping nightmare as proposed where the seller would collect sales tax for every state.
  • Even though I buy my share of stuff online, I think avoiding sales tax is an unfair advantage for online/out of state sellers and is very likely having a detrimental effect on local businesses.

Originally the intent of a sales tax was to finance the infrastructure deemed necessary for businesses to operate. Now, of course and with virtually all taxes, it's Yet Another way the apparatus gets into your shorts.

The argument about the lack of an internet sales tax being unfair to local business is probably true but in the rich tapestry of the external reality, things evolve and in the current state of The Way Things Are, is silly. Every bit as silly as the incredible gyrations of the apparatus and those otherwise involved to force antiquated copyright law, designed in and for a time when Things Were Different, into something that can cope with an environment when virtually anyone can reproduce anything and that reproduction is nothing more than a collection of 1's and 0's.

Both need total rethinking, not an asinine attempt to bend reality to the law, rather restructure the law to reflect reality. That the internet might be unfair to local business is far more an indicator that Time Has Passed Them By than anything else. Keep up or perish.

binki

I would suspect this would be a Federal Sales tax, not a way to collect for each local tax authority. The money would then be redistributed to the States for their handouts.

visual800

Just more money they want to pi$$ it away. One of the greatest joys of shopping online is no tax. And as Fred said can you imagine the accounting nightmare?

less than 50 employees or less than $10 million in yearly out-of-state sales

The solution is simple: if Congress passes online sales tax legislation, we believe small businesses with less than 50 employees or less than $10 million in annual out-of-state sales should be exempt from the burden of collecting sales taxes nationwide. To put that in perspective, Amazon does more than $10 million in sales every 90 minutes. So we believe this is a reasonable exemption to protect small online businesses. That's what we're fighting for, and what big companies such as Amazon are fighting against.

I hope you agree that imposing unnecessary tax burdens on small online businesses is a bad idea. Join us in letting your Members of Congress know they should protect small online businesses, not potentially put them out of business. Click here to make your voice heard. Together,we believe our voices can make a difference. if you agree take two minutes to send emails to legislators. easy peasey. Click here

Techman

The real problem is not the sales tax. But the cause and affect of it.

Big online companies are opening huge warehouses from which to send out the goods. They are winning huge tax concessions that will offset the sales tax expenses. For them it is a wash.

We as a small entity will be saddled with the total tax expenses with No offsets. Our expenses will rise while the big guys will remain the same. That will take away the advantage of the internet for us while giving the big guys an advantage we cannot over come. Thus we will be forced to use the online house to sell our goods giving them access to our goods while we pay the costs. Our profits will be eroded more than ever before. All that plus it will not give the local sellers any advantage whatsoever. How many produce items to sell locally but get the raw materials shipped to you? Yes, you will get your raw materials to your shop with a sales tax and then have to pay a sales tax on the shipping. So thinking that online sales are unfair and a online sales tax will even the field will be a false. Either way the results will be the same,, higher prices for our goods, lower profits on our sales, and added expenses to write the checks to pay the sales taxes.

And then, we will see the end of FREE shipping. And then we wil see the sales tax added to the shipping costs. Online shopping will become a high priced activity that only feeds the government and helps no one in the long run. You sell a good product then have to shiop it.. Your costs wil be sales tax, plus shipping plus some sales tax on the shipping.
Of course the big online sales co's such as amazon do not mind the online sales tax. They pass it on to the users.

Never mind the fact that the sales tax is unconstitutional and interferes with interstate sales.

Techman

Oh, by th eway.

Big box stores to not pay inventory or whatever yoru local tax entity calls it..taxes anyway.

They have items on the shelf but are not considered on their inventory until it sells. That is another advantage they have over the local business person.

GB2

Old Member

If they are going to do this then it should be a simple matter of eliminating the out-of-state tax deduction in each state. That way you just charge the state sales tax for whatever state the sale originates in. If a NY vendor sells something to someone in CA, they charge NY sales tax and pay it to the NY government.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Pretty big advantage for business owners in Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon, since they don't charge state sales tax.