• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Same problem, different day. (photoshop)

threeputt

Ok, still having a bit of a problem in PS when adding special effects. Getting error messages to the tune of "not enough memory" etc. I posted about this the other day and got much advice suggesting that I don't have enough RAM. Added 1 gig yesterday and now have 2 gigs total.

Someone said there is something particular about the way Eye Candy 5.0 and PhotoShop 7.0 get along.

Is there an "optimum" setting in PS to allocate a certain percentage of the cached memory? I've tried experimenting a bit. Right now I'm set at 46%.

Another question. That same person said that later versions of Eye Candy don't have a problem with this. Is this possibly so?

WVB

Re-read what Tech said in the previous thread... You are NOT getting "not enough memory" because of your RAM... It is because of your scratch disk... Add an external hard drive or change your scratch disk to another hard drive for which photoshop is NOT installed to...

EDIT:
Photoshop = edit/preferences/plug-in's & scratch disk
For example if photoshop is installed on C: make sure First does NOT say C: but rather D: or another hard drive you have installed or an external hard drive...
Second should say C:

threeputt

Thank you TVG. But what do you do when you tell that very thing to your tech and he says, "rubbish" to that?

I'll get him on the phone and re-discuss this mess. Appreciate the reply.

Shovelhead

Also....

don't know if anyone touched on this...periodically I will
create a new file 1 pixel x 1 pixel @ a resolution of 1 and save that file to my C
drive. Supposedly clears out PShop stuff.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 110

threeputt

TVG, could this be a part of the problem? In Edit/Preferences/Plugins/Scratch Disks it says "Start up" in the First box. Should that be changed?

Secondly, I have an external 500 gig server. But that is only a storage device, correct? It has no "memory" of it's own, right? So that can't be used as an alternate to C:/, I wouldn't think.

I could use the other guy's design station HD, maybe, but that sucks memory from his. But that's only temporary, isn't it? While the command is being executed in PS? Then it would have no real affect?

Any help. BTW, the tech's phone line has been busy.

WVB

You have a 500 gig server... (yes that is only a storage device not memory) S&!t change your first start up to the drive letter of your 500 gig external..! You can then change your second to the C:... the other guys station HD shouldn't be needed...

threeputt

TVG, I tried changing it but it doesn't seem to give me that option. Just Start-up or C:/

When I mouse over, it won't allow changes. So where can those changes be made, do you happen to know?

javila

The only way to speed up with scratch disk is with a whole seperate HD installed in the computer. If you're external drive is USB or ethernet, don't bother using it as a scratch disk.

If you're getting out of memory messages, you're designing too big. Often times I'll have to create and effect at a lower resolution and blow it up a bit(20-30 percent) to be able to use it.

os101king

i run into that problem if i've been working on something for a bit, or have just copied in a large image. try edit>purge>all. i belive (no expert) that it stores copied images and your history in accessible RAM which can plug you up good. be sure before you do it that you don't want to go back and change anything, because your history will be cleared out.

personally, with my experience i would suggest a second hard drive in your machine. if you keep watch, you can normally get a high-quality drive from staples for next to nothing when they have sales (i have 3 250g maxtors on a shelf at home.... $59.95 each!!! can't beat them sometimes) and set it up as a back up. i wouldn't feel safe working on a machine with only one drive. that way you can set the second to a scratch and handle bigger work.

how big are you desiging? some of those effects take up waaaaaay more memory than a comparative Layer Effect tool from photoshop...

hope i helped a bit.

Techman

you tell that very thing to your tech and he says, "rubbish" to that

Tell your technician to he is wrong and that he isn't competant in Photoshop. Tell him he needs to study up on Photoshop before he makes any more of an ass of himself. At the old shop we used to flogg a techy that fell into this trap. If he understands what Photoshop is doing then he will understand why we say what we do.

Technicians are good in certain areas but weak in others. None know every thing equally well. There is just too much to know..

For example. I am really good at getting machines to run when they wont via the registry but not strong at network mapping. To give you the idea,, I do not do reformats/reinstalls to get a machine to run right. That takes hours to perfrom that where a registry fix is just a few mins in most cases. In point, I guarantee that I can fix your machine or the work is free as long as it is not hardware related. Another tech I know is great at hardware and building so i ask him about the latest and greatest while he calls me to get machines to run. This is the way it is..

Second... It helps if your scratch disk is on a different hard drive. But that is not mandatory. That scratch disk can be on ANY hard rive. And yes,, that list is where ou can set your scratch disk.

Also, as mentioned above and as I posted before.. working with large files fills up your history storage. YOu have to clean it once in a while..

WVB

Make sure your 500gig is plugged into the puter... Once it registers it then go to the settings within photoshop and select it...

I use an external 250 (usb 2.0) myself...

EDIT: I just re-read your post about the 500... This is a server or networked I would assume..? As tech stated that is my weak point.. I am not sure this will work via network... If I had to guess I would say most likely it would have to be connected directly to your puter...

mark in tx

Is the hard drive in the computer a "C" drive?

No "D" drive?

If the "C" drive is only 80 gigs, then add another internal drive.
If the "C" drive is larger than 80 gigs, maybe a 160 or a 320, then you can make a partition that becomes the "D" drive, which is where you want to point photoshop to use as a swap drive.
Partitioning a drive is something that your tech should be able to do, without screwing anything up, but always make a back up just in case.

I looked through a book called Hacking Photoshop, and it expressly stated that you cannot use a networked, and should not use a shared drive for a swap.

threeputt

I see that opinions can vary here.

I do like the idea of either an internal or external drive dedicated soley as a scratch drive. Someone said CompUSA has something like that (80 gig internal HD) for like $39.00 or whatever.

Question is, can a dummy like myself put it in....and without messing up other functioning programs, etc.? Or do I need a tech? Yeah, Techman, I'll get someone else other than the "rubbish" guy.

WVB

Most name brand HD's come with straight forward instructions on how to install... Its a lot easier then you think it is to install one. Besides google it and TONS of info with pictures will come up to help you along...

_SAi_

Sometimes, a good reboot will cure some memory issues. I know if I have illustrator and photoshop opened at the same time for a while I can compare available RAM before they are opened and after they are closed and much of the RAM is clogged and not freed up. A quick reboot will straighten it out nicely.

(This would be a quick and inexpensive trick to try first.)

scott pagan

you need a secondary internal hard drive. look at the +200gb range, they are cheap (around $80) and very easy to install. i like tigerdirect.com for low prices, but your local bestbuy or compusa should have resonable prices too. your "tech guy" can guide you on getting you the correct hard drive for your system (ie: wether you'll need IDE or SATA connections).