• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scan Motor Error 0010 SP300v

xxxmain

My SP300v has recently started giving me a SCAN MOTOR ERROR CODE 0010. It started out randomly every few jobs, but now is doing it constantly. Either immediately at startup... but if I can get past startup it often allows me to print, but gives the error as soon as it gets to the 4th crop mark closest to the print head during cut. I'm confused because it keeps happening in this exact same spot indicating it may be something other than the actual motor.

I can't see any obvious binding as I slide the carriage back and forth. However, the cutting carriage slides on the rail with a decent amount more resistance than the print carriage (maybe indicating debris or damaged bearings?) I tried cleaning and oiling the rail and got a slight improvement, but I still think the resistance is higher than it should be. How “free” should the movement be? If a good push is given, the cut carriage will not slide on it's own after pressure from my hand is removed (but I'm not sure if it should).

I read as much as I could about this topic and I'm ordering a new Scan Motor and Linear Bearing block... but at this point I'm hoping it's something else and would like to find a band-aid solution that may temporarily get me printing again until I can get parts (I'm struggling to find an outlet nearby that has stock). The machine is 15 years old and the scan motor has never been changed... which based on my reading is most likely the issue? The motor hasn't fully failed but many say that it weakens over time (mostly seems to give Motor error when cut carriage alone is working and it seems to often print with little issue). I'm still very confused why it would error at the same point while searching for the 4th crop mark if it's motor fatigue.

I've tried cleaning the encoder strip, the cut carriage data cable, and I reinitialized the Limit... none of which helped. The screw holding the cable to the cut carriage is secure and the tension doesn't seem wonky.

Here are my questions: Does anyone have any other idea what I can try? I think I can take the cutting carriage assembly apart and get the Linear Bearing Block off the rail without removing the rail (by removing the stop screw on the far left side of the rail leaving me just enough space to get the block off). I was planning to remove and do a thorough cleaning and lubing, and inspecting to see if the bearings are damaged. How easily should the carriages move on the rail? I was also thinking about removing the Scan Motor and attempting to clean it, thinking maybe carbon buildup or other debris has weakened it. Again, these two ideas would hopefully get me going as I wait for parts. Any thoughts on these ideas? Any more ideas??

Last edited:

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
I'd be willing to bet a new scan motor is all you need. That being said I've replaced the bearing block in our Rolands a few times.

I have a used Scan motor that came out of a low mileage VP540 for $75 shipped if you want. I think I have two of them both out of VP540s. Personally I used to keep a generic scan motor from sign in china on hand for whenever ours went. I'd swap that in while I waited for a genuine Roland part to come.

xxxmain

Thanks for the responses guys! It's crazy, but the printer started working last night. I ran a few longer print-only jobs, and although it did Error 0010 one time, after these jobs I ran a print-and-cut, and it worked! I've since run a number of jobs and it's still going with no Error after a good 8 hours of work. I can only assume that the cleaning and oiling of the rail and bearing block just took some time to work it's way through all the bits and smooth everything out and reduce the stress on this old motor? In any case, I've bought myself some time now and have ordered a motor and bearing block. Thanks again for the tips.

Hybriddesign, thanks so much for the offer for your low mileage motor, that is a great deal... but I'm in Canada so shipping would be a lot and I have new stuff on route now... but that was awesome of you to offer.

Cheers!

Terry01

Thanks for the responses guys! It's crazy, but the printer started working last night. I ran a few longer print-only jobs, and although it did Error 0010 one time, after these jobs I ran a print-and-cut, and it worked! I've since run a number of jobs and it's still going with no Error after a good 8 hours of work. I can only assume that the cleaning and oiling of the rail and bearing block just took some time to work it's way through all the bits and smooth everything out and reduce the stress on this old motor? In any case, I've bought myself some time now and have ordered a motor and bearing block. Thanks again for the tips.

Hybriddesign, thanks so much for the offer for your low mileage motor, that is a great deal... but I'm in Canada so shipping would be a lot and I have new stuff on route now... but that was awesome of you to offer.

Cheers!
Get your motor and bearings from Sign in China.. Excellent prices and no freight.
https://www.sign-in-china.com/products/15129/generic_roland_scan_motor_for_sp_300_sp_540.html

Terry01

sign in china is great!
however
he needs a motor now, no in may
Usually 5 day turnaround..from the order being placed. China to New Zealand is pretty quick. Takes longer on the courier here, than it takes to get it to New Zealand. I cant knock their service