• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

School me on ACM please?

Scratch

& Sniff
So I've been making painted metal signs with my CNC plasma cutter for like 16 years but I was today years old when I heard of ACM. Now I haven't put a router on my table yet even though my table is set up for it. It's always seemed too much of a hassle to swap it over and I've had plenty of work with the plasma so I never really gave it a second thought, but cutting steel is dirty, the flying sparks are hot and I really don't like burning my fingers so I may have to try using it for routing sometime soon, I'm very excited to learn about a new material that I can add to my toolbox!

OK... I have a customer that wants me to make them a sign for their dance studio. By the way I also have a vinyl plotter.

They are going to put posts in the ground and hang a 4'x8' sign between it. This will be at the entrance to their parking lot. At first they wanted me to put vinyl on a piece of plywood that they painted but I've talked them out of that, and after hearing about ACM today and doing some research on it, I'm excited to try it, but I still have some questions that I couldn't quite find the answers to.

I really like the idea of making a "return" or "edge" around the whole sign by cutting a V in the back and bending it into a "tray". I've also seen how to make the "notches" to move the seam to the side, bottom etc... (I also probably don't know the exact "terminology" for this stuff so please feel free to correct me) I've seen people using "angle iron shaped aluminum" and screwing or riveting them to the corners for strength.

Questions:

1. What is common to do for a "back" on this sign? If I were to mount it on some posts, the back would be visibly by people leaving the parking lot.
2. Would I need to do some "stiffeners" in a sign this size? What is a good stiffener? Angle aluminum, rectangle, and how are they mounted in there without seeing the screws or rivets on the front? Adhesives...?
3. What are some mounting methods? Is there a place on here for pictures of mounts, or got any suggestions for videos where they show some different methods?
4.Let's say I decided not to do a "tray" type sign for this job, just a flat sheet of ACM. Would I need something behind it to stiffen it up for some other reason? Would I then want to go with like a 6mm or 10mm? And would I want a "trim" piece to cover the edges, or is that not usually needed?
5. Not really pertainable to this job, but lets say I was mounting a "tray?" shaped sign to a flat wall and didn't want any visible hardware, is that possible?
6. Difference between ACM and ACP?
7. I've seen videos where they use a CNC router and cut out letters to make an illuminated sign. Are they cutting completely through the sign and using clear or smoked acrylic or something on the inside of the sign? I've seen two videos on it and it looked like it was smooth on the front... like it had a clear front with a solid middle layer? I didn't quite get that. I could be wrong though.. Again, not for this job, but just another question I had.

Sorry for all the noob questions, just excited that I might be able to do start doing work that doesn't put a fine layer of black plasma dust on EVERYTHING IN MY SHOP!

Last edited:

smatt

Here's a good trade supplier that has good photos of various methods of fixings. https://www.ashbytrade.net/product-systems-overview/sign-panels/
I'm sure there are a lot more knowledgeable people than me, but personally. If I were to make a tray out of ACM, I would router a V to have approx 55mm returns and use a piece of 50mm ally angle for top and bottom.
If post mounted I would use a flat ACM panel for the back and put some rail on the rear just shy of the full width to help strengthen and also allow you to use post clips to the desired post size. Eg. 76mm / 89mm / 114mm.
I would put the rail on with 3m VHB tape and also rivets.
Then apply the ally angle to the top and bottom of back panel with tape and rivets again.
It will always have fixings at the top and bottom return, but I would countersink and cover with a vinyl sticker to match colour of tray so you wouldn't see the fixings.
Hope that helps.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The simplest answer is to use a wood frame with 4x4s and two 2x4s. I first put two 4x4s on the ground, then put two 2x4 (cut to 88") in between them and use 6" long wood screws to fasten them together. Then put the ACM face on it and use painted fasteners and washers every 2' around the entire face. Then, with the sign in place on the ground, I drill two holes with an auger attached to drill (or post hole diggers if ground is rocky) and then lift the sign up into the holes. Slap a bag of concrete in there and level and I'm done in about 30 mins.

With 3mm ACM you need some sort of horizontal support. 6mm you might can get away with no support. Using MDO you don't need supports at all.

As for the back of the sign, you can pre-paint the wood to match and it looks better. For double sided signs, I'll flip over the frame on the ground (using a price of coro to protect the other side) and attach the other face to it.

20220318_101014.jpg
20220503_111220.jpg
20220314_111456.jpg
20220314_111428.jpg
20220720_090732.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You can also use ACM on metal frame for something more permanent

20220712_111129.jpg
20220318_101014.jpg
20220628_145932.jpg

20211119_092933.jpg

ACM can also be used on large frames like this one BUT... This was only a single sided frame so we had to add blank panels to the back to prevent blowout. You can also use 080.
20211201_134746.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
For wall signs, you can add aluminum angle, painted to match.. or get the really tick skinned stuff and bend it, but that is heavy and a PITA to install when you could go with 063 or something.

20211025_140435.jpg
20211025_144119.jpg
20210913_102002.jpg
20210913_102026.jpg

Scratch

& Sniff
Thanks for the info, both of you! I've heard of Glantz, are there any other places to buy from that will ship one or two panels? I registered With Glantz but they haven‘t approved me yet so I can’t even see pricing.

I’m not even sure how someone would ship one or two full size panels without damaging them…

Signscorp

Signscorp

Thanks for the info, both of you! I've heard of Glantz, are there any other places to buy from that will ship one or two panels? I registered With Glantz but they haven‘t approved me yet so I can’t even see pricing.

I’m not even sure how someone would ship one or two full size panels without damaging them…
glantz or grimco will be fine. You'll need to pay shipping which is kind of annoying. I think most of us here wait till we have $1000 orders to ship and then they'll include shipping.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
How is the ACM attached to the angle on the wall with this one? Do you glue more angle to the back of the ACP? curious which adhesive
Yes. I just use VHB now. I've come across many old signs with just VHB that you have to destroy to separate. Maybe our climate allows VHB to work.

Scratch

& Sniff
So I'm having problems finding somewhere to get ACM panels. I'm pretty sure the problem is I don't want to but a pallet of the stuff right now. I did find a local sign shop that would sell me one sheet of Maxmetal, but they want 355.00 for it! I found another place that will sell a sheet of Dubond for 225.00. I tried Glantz and they have some Omegabond for 145/sheet but they wont ship one sheet, which I understand. I did find a semi-local guy who said he might be able to sell me one of his sheets for about 100 bucks but he said, you probably don't want to do that because those sheets are really only like 30 bucks.

Are there places that I can walk in and buy a sheet from someone or do they only sell to companies that have an account with them and in bulk? Maybe I just have to keep looking?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Call the manufacturer and ask them who and where is the closest distributor to you. We can't do your homework for you. If you can't find anyone/place, then ask one of your competitors, if you can go in with them on their next purchase.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
So I'm having problems finding somewhere to get ACM panels. I'm pretty sure the problem is I don't want to but a pallet of the stuff right now. I did find a local sign shop that would sell me one sheet of Maxmetal, but they want 355.00 for it! I found another place that will sell a sheet of Dubond for 225.00. I tried Glantz and they have some Omegabond for 145/sheet but they wont ship one sheet, which I understand. I did find a semi-local guy who said he might be able to sell me one of his sheets for about 100 bucks but he said, you probably don't want to do that because those sheets are really only like 30 bucks.

Are there places that I can walk in and buy a sheet from someone or do they only sell to companies that have an account with them and in bulk? Maybe I just have to keep looking?

The question is, are you a real sign company? If you are, you can sign up for wholesale accounts at sign suppliers. You have plenty in your area that have probably free local delivery or you can go pick them up. You don't have to buy a pallet. You're a business owner, let's put our thinking cap on.

gnubler

Tex - I'm retracting the "dick" comment I made toward you last week. This info was helpful for me also, and I make ACM signs all the time. Saved all these images into my Signtology Bible for future reference.