• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scratch resistant laminate

I need suggestions for a premium cast laminate. I have been trying 3m 8519 but when run through the Gerber plotter for back cuts the laminate side is face down and it is getting lots of hairline scratches.
Need a product that will pay well with Gerber 220 vinyl.

BluetailGFX

Journeyman
Its always been my experience that small surface scratches tend to mitigate themselves in cast PVC products when exposed to heat/sunlight for enough time.

Also, in 30 years, I have never heard of cutting vinyl backing paper up in a plotter........ Interesting.....

TimToad

What about creating a second perf cut line to where you want the liner cutout and run them through right side up?

shoresigns

You could also try switching to matte/satin laminate, which doesn't show hairline scratches nearly as much as gloss does.

Thanks for the replies, obviously we could eliminate the back cut, but that is one of the beauties of the Gerber Plotter. You plot them face up first for the contour cut
then upside down with a slightly offset path with a 60 degree blade to cut through the backer but not the vinyl, it also cuts a slit for "crack & peel" The thin offset area holds everything in place until you pop them out leaving a pre weeded border. This is only possible with the Gerber because it uses a little bomb sight that drops into the tool holder and you line it up by eye to a single registration mark. for the back cut registration mark I just trace it on the backing paper using a light table.

Andy D

You could also try switching to matte/satin laminate, which doesn't show hairline scratches nearly as much as gloss does.

Agreed, I switched from gloss to luster lamination years ago & it solved so many issues, including scratches sticking out like a sore thumb.

have you tried cleaning your cutter?
or maybe putting some masking tape on the "platen" before it goes into the cutter?

in my experience scratches are caused by debris or dust/dirt when the laminate rubs against the machine

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Agreed, I switched from gloss to luster lamination years ago & it solved so many issues, including scratches sticking out like a sore thumb.

I've thought about doing this but have been using gloss for over a decade... do the signs look better with matte?

Andy D

I've thought about doing this but have been using gloss for over a decade... do the signs look better with matte?
I have never used matte, only luster & I think they do look better, plus they're easier to read because they don't reflect light like a gloss finish does.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Yes, I'm using 8519 for ALL vehicle graphics, and most outdoor stuff that needs laminate.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
have you tried cleaning your cutter?
or maybe putting some masking tape on the "platen" before it goes into the cutter?

in my experience scratches are caused by debris or dust/dirt when the laminate rubs against the machine
I’ve used window guide felt to reduce this problem - soft thin and adhesive backed ( get it from my buddies tint shop) . I also use it on the wiper blades on my FX when running clear or silver metal vinyl - no marks . Many different widths and thickness to choose from , works great