• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scratches in Print During Application

garisimo

Don't know if I should post this here or in wrap installation, but we are having some issues with Summa DC4 applications, especially on 651 Oracal Clear -- the print looks good (no scratches) but when the installer squeegies the film onto the substrate (reverse printed on polycarb) we sometimes get scratches -- we are using 3m Pa-1 gold applicators with 3m Sa-1 low friction sleeves. Any suggestions on application? Thanks!

-g-

Jim Doggett

Vinyl is soft and will scratch when applying with even light force. It helps to use felt-covered squeegees (the sleeves/envelopes are lame in my opinion and tend to bunch up or wrinkle). Then spritz the felt with window cleaner to slide more smoothly ... I even spritz my wrap glove. The smoother sliding also helps the application go down more smoothly, with fewer wrinkles.

My $0.02,

Jim

nikdoobs

I wanted to bump up this thread and get more opinions. I just did my first wrap and have a lot of scratches on the laminate. Anyone else have suggestions besides wetting the felt squeegee and torching it afterward?

TIA
-Nick

jfiscus

Rap Master
I wanted to bump up this thread and get more opinions. I just did my first wrap and have a lot of scratches on the laminate. Anyone else have suggestions besides wetting the felt squeegee and torching it afterward?

TIA
-Nick

That's about all you can do. If you're installing the new chrome wrapping films I recommend laminating them first, as the scratches do NOT come out of the unlaminated films. (and the customer cleaning the wrap will scratch the film also)

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Another option is to use the newer 3M 8548G Envision laminate.... it is rated for use on regular 180C vinyl (not just the new envision print vinyl). We have used it on several projects now. It does not scratch nearly as easy and as an added bonus also provides the only horizontal surface warranty out there.

Regardless - use a quality felt edge squeegee like a geek wrap one (wet the edge of it if you like). Then torch any scratches you do get in the lam.

SIGNTIME

+1 geek wrap or oshee are the squeegees i use when wrapping .... but even those scratch some but all the scratches go away if you post heat correctly