• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshLoring

Just so everyone knows... I've already bought a domain for the website. I did not put 3M in the domain for legal reasons.
However.. It is the best possible domain for the topic concerning SEO and the effect it will have on searches.

Coming soon...
vehiclewrapvinyl.com

A place where 3M gets owned, and others get promoted. Real testimonials, reviews and how Commenting will be incorporated along with reviews.

-I am going to need some admins to create promotional articles.. Any volunteers? I have 3 guys in mind already. ;) Let's do this!

Scott Reynolds

It would make a statement if everyone here would kick the 3M reps out of there shops.

Or better yet, get a pre-printed panel ready and "entertain" the rep inside while one or two of your workers install an advertizement for Oracal on the PASSENGER side of their vehicle. Or maybe some "3M Sucks, buy Oracal" bumper stickers on the back bumper.

Were sign makers, lets use our printers and cutters along with our voice and purchasing power.

idsignsil

We switched from Oracal to 3M when Grimco bought our local supply company that was 15 min down the road. Since Grimco has been our new local supplier, the personal service has gone down hill fast. They got rid of the manager that knew everything. I would call him, say that I need a roll of wrap vinyl and lam, and he knew what I used and I had it the same day.

We have given 3M around a 6 month trail and I have NOT been happy with the 3M products, but they are close and convenient. I am going to be switching back to Oracal as the 3M stock runs out.

N. Glantz has recently put a warehouse in St. Louis. Their rep visited our small shop shortly after they opened, and was polite and not pushy at all. He offered to ship whatever we needed until they get a weekly truck running our way. They stock Oracal. It would be nice if Grimco stocked Oracal, but from what I have heard, I don't think that is going to happen any time soon if at all.

Sorry, that was a little lengthy, but that is where we are at. Going back to Oracal, NO MORE 3M!

Scott Reynolds

I am so doing this.
Mines going to say "Beware, some shops use 3M for vehicle wraps. We only use the highest quality Oracal media. This means we can actually warranty our work!"

Thats going to be a long arss bumper sticker..

I got in trouble as a kid for putting flames on the passenger side of a cop car. The cop drove around for a few hours like that before another cop seen it and told him. It was sooo worth it. :Big Laugh

ProColorGraphics

Lisa is sending me some sample rolls too.

Oracal FTW

Any special way to get in touch with Lisa? I would love to try out some Oracle on my latex. Even though I they already pissed me off so I already gave them the boot in m shop. I'm a small shop, and don't go through nearly the amount some of you guys do, so I didn't make a stink about it on here.

Any good alternatives for masking tape?

andy

Don't want to pop your bubble.Remember that 3M is a global force and you are just addressing this in the US market.
You all seemed to have forgotten about the whole wide world out there and that the US makes up a very small percentage in their global sales.

European sign shops are sniggering at you right now....

Here in Europe sign makers make up their OWN minds as to which vinyl brand to run with... you buy some, you try it, if you like it you run with it.

Personally I prefer French made Hexis but I'll happilly use KMPF, Mactac, Neschen or any other European made vinyl.... it's all pretty good stuff.

CES020

CES

Let me educate you. A million in losses over 2 days and between a few shops is
Pretty devistating. What happens when their distributers actually realize what they're doing. Ultimately they're hurting companies like fellers nd grimco more than us. What happens when other shops get wind. You need to open your eyes and look at the bigger picture.

Maybe I'm looking at the bigger picture and my emotions aren't into this because I don't use their products. Read the 1000's of posts on here about people lowballing and cutting corners and stealing work. So you cut 3M. Now what? Some sign slug will step in and fill your shoes. They'll be "proud to offer 3M" materials and then they'll funnel all that work to the new person.

I think what you are trying to do is admirable, but this is the real world and it's David vs. Goliath here. If you can get a company like that to change a 100 million dollar policy, then more power to you.

However, in the real world, what typically happens is 3M will pour some extra money into advertising and PR and they'll end up filling that million dollar hole shortly and then their revenues will be back to what they were before this, you'll be an ex-customer, and life will continue as it was before.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but this isn't 50 people against Fellers, this is 50 people against 3M. If you can climb that hill, hats off to you.

Like I said, I applaud the effort. I'll believe the results when I see 3M reverse a policy that's spent 100 million putting in place and setting up. Like I said, an advertising campaign by them can wipe all your efforts out pretty quickly.

JoshLoring

CES, your probobly right.
How can we reach more people where it hurts?.. Hmm.

Colorado- do you have a large news station by you? I'm sure the people would LOVE to know how 3M is taking away jobs by monopolizing the fleet market and underbidding the people they sell to.
A little local shop like you looses contract to the very people you purchase from...
Times are rough.. It's sad what they are doing..
Does 3M really care about its clients?
Tonight on News5...

The headlines would be great.

fmg

Just a thought. Why don't some of you vehicle wrappers become 3M approved. That way you may benefit from work that they could throw your way, and improve on a business relationship.
I fear that you causing a stir on a forum with 3M will cause you nothing more than frustration and anguish in the long run, and 3M will continue doing their business be it ethical or not in your eyes.
Good luck whatever the outcome and I hope you get the end result you are all looking for.

HulkSmash

Just a thought. Why don't some of you vehicle wrappers become 3M approved. That way you may benefit from work that they could throw your way, and improve on a business relationship.
I fear that you causing a stir on a forum with 3M will cause you nothing more than frustration and anguish in the long run, and 3M will continue doing their business be it ethical or not in your eyes.
Good luck whatever the outcome and I hope you get the end result you are all looking for.

3M dictates the pricing you will have to charge and the installer is also responsible for any warranty issues. Maybe if I was an isntaller only it would benifit me? At the moment I'm losing key customers due to their stupid program that gives them an ultimatum.

Status
Not open for further replies.