• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmg

"We select installers based on their certification"
Told ya that it may be worth becoming 3m certified and all that.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I'm curious what gives them to right to have the dealerships tell my customers i'm not certified to work on their wraps. That's straight disrespectful.

Well they fund the wrap using 3M's program, which requires an "endorsed Installer". Since you are not a 3M endorsed installer...that's what gives them the right....
BUT.....
It all depends on how they word it to your "potential customer".
Keep in mind...if they allude to the potential customer in verbiage that insinuates you are not "able" or your "skills" are not qualified to do the job, that is completely different and you may be able to score BIG TIME with a lawsuit.

Slander is the communication of false statements that are harmful to a person's reputation.

If they communicated to the "customer" that you were not qualified to do the work, without including "according to the Original Wraps installer requirements" or something like that...then you have a case for sure.
Your damages....the amount you didn't get for that job...and possibly any other job you bid against Original Wraps.
NOTE (This is NOT legal advice...it is my opinion only. I am NOT advocating any party is guilty of anything.) :)

HulkSmash

Well they fund the wrap using 3M's program, which requires an "endorsed Installer". Since you are not a 3M endorsed installer...that's what gives them the right....
BUT.....
It all depends on how they word it to your "potential customer".
Keep in mind...if they allude to the potential customer in verbiage that insinuates you are not "able" or your "skills" are not qualified to do the job, that is completely different and you may be able to score BIG TIME with a lawsuit.

Slander is the communication of false statements that are harmful to a person's reputation.

If they communicated to the "customer" that you were not qualified to do the work, without including "according to the Original Wraps installer requirements" or something like that...then you have a case for sure.
Your damages....the amount you didn't get for that job...and possibly any other job you bid against Original Wraps.
NOTE (This is NOT legal advice...it is my opinion only. I am NOT advocating any party is guilty of anything.) :)

not building a legal case against these guys...

HulkSmash

finished this bad boy up for tomorrows presidential debate for the Obama administration.

Typically we'd use 3m's transit vinyl that would be on for a week.

not this time. Auto mark all day.

Attachments

• 194761_529179813766215_429495495_o.jpg
    194761_529179813766215_429495495_o.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 108

phototec

Does anyone have any connections to any trade magazine folks? (signs of the times, etc?)

Not sure they would be on board as I am sure 3m has em in their back pocket....but if we can get some press on it, then the story will take off and it eventually WILL make an impact.

:goodpost:

Yea, Coloradosigns should send an email to 60 minutes or DateLine, lets get some exsposure!

:popcorn:

deegrafix

Colorado, I like the way you dealt with the compartment doors, and all the little doors. Looks clean. I would have been trying to cover the giant rivets and bolts and cursing the whole time. $%#@$ busmark! Or is automark better? I'm not that educated on the intermediate lines...

Gonna have to go back and read from after pg 4 and decide what to buy for a bank truck wrap coming up this week. I'm scared not to buy 3MIJ80 but hate to contribute to their lawlessness.

HulkSmash

Colorado, I like the way you dealt with the compartment doors, and all the little doors. Looks clean. I would have been trying to cover the giant rivets and bolts and cursing the whole time. $%#@$ busmark! Or is automark better? I'm not that educated on the intermediate lines...

Gonna have to go back and read from after pg 4 and decide what to buy for a bank truck wrap coming up this week. I'm scared not to buy 3MIJ80 but hate to contribute to their lawlessness.

appreciate the compliments.
I never wrap in intermediate. I'm highly against it. This is only to be on for a week so we just used automark. It's cheaper and installs like butter.

As for the compartments, there's no other way to do it.. you can't wrap over that stuff it's full of caulking

CheapVehicleWrap

I just received a message to get in contact with a wrap industry veteran whose tied deep into 3m. He says he thinks "my" efforts are working.

HulkSmash

Just found my ij35c replacement.

Got my Rep to pretty much match old ij35 price with

ORACAL 3651 RA. this stuff is sexy.

HulkSmash

Here, Allow me to redo your FAQ in a truthful manner

Frequently Asked Questions:

“Is 3M our competitor now?”
Yes, we print a large bulk of the graphics at our original wraps facility in Colorado

“Maybe we don’t buy as much product from 3M as the big companies, but we’re very loyal, so why compete against your loyal customers?”
We use our own facility to print. And need the money.

“Why would someone leasing a car choose to have it wrapped by the dealership (or dealer selected installer) rather than their chosen local installer?”
Because we want total control over the graphic industry, and give your customer whom we just stole no choice in the matter. Did we mention the customer never meet the installer, or printer so the possibility for a return customer is non existent.

“Who sets the installer requirements to participate in Original Wraps: the dealerships or 3M?” ( interesting question, you just said in your previous post the dealership made the installer requirements. Lies, lies lies)
3M sets the standards based on how much money you pay us to get certified, oh yeah, and hope you don't have too many installers in your zip code certified, that'll also lower your chances.

How much involvement does 3M Original Wraps have? Do they print the graphics? Do they distribute them?”
YES 3M PRINTS GRAPHICS. 3M SELLS, PRINTS, AND SELECTS THE INSTALLERS. THEY ALSO DISTRIBUTE THEM.

“Does 3M Original Wraps select installers based on how much they buy from 3M?”

No, based on what their install level is. You have to pay us for that.

“Why does 3M Original Wraps get to decide the installation price for work done in the program?”
Because as mentioned before, we want control over the industry, and make sure you as an installer low ball as much as possible to make sure 3M original wraps gets the jobs. And apparently 90 cents to 1 dollar a SF is industry standard

“Does the 3M Original Wrap program include used cars?”
Yes, we will wrap anything. ( at least that's what the said to my wife asking if she could wrap her old VW.)

“Do 3M Original Wrap employees work at each dealership to help sign up customers for the program?”
Yes, we seat our 3m reps at high volume dealerships.

There we go. I think that sums it up.
I know you print, I can list every single machine in your OW facility. Again, i'm asking politely, why are you trying to take us, your customers, for a fool?

bumping 3M's edited FAQ's

CES020

I'm just curious, what do you hope will happen?

Do you hope 3M will shut down the Original Wraps program?

Do you hope that they will close the Original Wraps offices where they are printing and shipping the product from?

I'm just curious on what would make this all better from some of your points of view.

I know it sounds like a simple question, where the answer is probably "Shut it all down", but if that's what you are aiming for, that's probably a lofty goal that won't even be reached. Is there a realistic goal in mind where it's a win-win for both sides?

CanuckSigns

Just found my ij35c replacement.

Got my Rep to pretty much match old ij35 price with

ORACAL 3651 RA. this stuff is sexy.

We just finished our first job with the 3651RA, the stuff is really nice to work with! The air release seems to be much better on this vs. other intermediate air release vinyls we've delt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.