• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sectional channel letter installation.

long Liu

Hello everyone.
Recently I passed UL 48 and start to make my own channel letters. I was told by you professionals using the raceway. And I used raceway from sign comp to pass the certification.

Currently, I am working on sectional channel letters. But I don’t know how to run the 18awg wire though the wall. I think that’s dry wall.

what fitting should I use? Where can I buy them from?

Also, anysuggestion how to mount the Seconal letter on the wall?

Thanks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No offense, but how did you ever obtain a license or permit to proceed with such a job ??

If I was your customer, I'd be shaking in my boots. If I was you, I'd be shaking even more, if I got caught.

Do you realize the fix you're in ??

spectrum maine

is it 12v or 120 v going through wall? its a fuzzy area with 12 low voltage, every jurisdiction seems to have its own take on this, the ul book should explain this. you should be getting seperate labels for sectional signs and have a detailed instructional sheet with all the components provided for accurate ul sectional sign listing. the standard ul label does not cover sectional signs assembled in field.

long Liu

No offense, but how did you ever obtain a license or permit to proceed with such a job ??

If I was your customer, I'd be shaking in my boots. If I was you, I'd be shaking even more, if I got caught.

I think I can make the signage right. But don’t know how to install it.

I think they are two process.

long Liu

is it 12v or 120 v going through wall? its a fuzzy area with 12 low voltage, every jurisdiction seems to have its own take on this, the ul book should explain this. you should be getting seperate labels for sectional signs and have a detailed instructional sheet with all the components provided for accurate ul sectional sign listing. the standard ul label does not cover sectional signs assembled in field.

I think I can make the section letters right. It is a lot easier mount with the raceway. But no clue how to wire 12v through the wall. I know a fitting called wall buster that probably work. Is there any other better ways?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think I can make the signage right. But don’t know how to install it.

I think they are two process.
I think I can make the section letters right. It is a lot easier mount with the raceway. But no clue how to wire 12v through the wall. I know a fitting called wall buster that probably work. Is there any other better ways?

That's what I'm talking about. If you don't know what you're doing, how can you get an electrical license to do this work ?? How can you get the correct permits to perform such work ?? How did you get insurance to serve your shop to do this kinda work ?? Not to mention these types of signs are supposed to be stamped with a U/L approved certificate. Unless you're in another country far away, what you're doing is illegal in this hemisphere, not to mention unsafe.

You use the words..... "I think" a lot. When it comes to electrical installations of any sorts or the building of such signs, you would be considered a complete risk from all angles.

Please people, do not try this sort of stunt at home or on your own. Let the professionals who know how do this sort of work do it.

long Liu

That's what I'm talking about. If you don't know what you're doing, how can you get an electrical license to do this work ?? How can you get the correct permits to perform such work ?? How did you get insurance to serve your shop to do this kinda work ?? Not to mention these types of signs are supposed to be stamped with a U/L approved certificate. Unless you're in another country far away, what you're doing is illegal in this hemisphere, not to mention unsafe.

You use the words..... "I think" a lot. When it comes to electrical installations of any sorts or the building of such signs, you would be considered a complete risk from all angles.

Please people, do not try this sort of stunt at home or on your own. Let the professionals who know how do this sort of work do it.

That’s what you thinking about. Everything you said is what you thinking about. But you actually don’t really know me or any correct codes of solution, Right?

UL inspector will always check if the product is valid. I don’t have to obtain any electrician license. Are you assuming I am the one who is going to install the letters? when did I say that?

I just want to how to install the sectional channel letters. What type of fitting should I use to feed in the 12v wire.

Long

signage

If you got an UL license, then they are saying you know how to make and fully understand how they are installed. So did you get your UL certification?

long Liu

If you got an UL license, then they are saying you know how to make and fully understand how they are installed. So did you get your UL certification?

that license says you can be sign manufacturer.

the product has to follow all the requirement from UL.

I am good with channel letters with the raceways, I can keep making it.

if I am not confident to make sectional channel letters, neon signs, I don't have to make any of them. until I figure out everything is correct.

that's why I am seeking a solution for wiring the sectional letters.

I don't want to see any more "if" question based on thinking, looking for some professionals solutions.

Long

long Liu

are you talking about the connector to run wire though two raceways where they join? or talking about 12v going into wall? Either question is very basic and is a red flag from someone asking.

different people sees question differently. I am a mechanical engineer for 5 years, just jumped into sign business and got the UL certification last month.

my first signage(channel letter with raceway passed inspection and got the UL certification) is not going through the wall, the conduit fitting is on the side of the raceway.

this one (sectional letters) is my first signage that goes through the wall, and I am seeking a solution.

how come that question become a red flag?

there is none red flag for me to make the same signage that I passed inspection.

I am seeking a solution in order to make sectional letters correctly, if no one helps, that's totally fine.

Long

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
that license says you can be sign manufacturer.

the product has to follow all the requirement from UL.

I am good with channel letters with the raceways, I can keep making it.

if I am not confident to make sectional channel letters, neon signs, I don't have to make any of them. until I figure out everything is correct.

that's why I am seeking a solution for wiring the sectional letters.

I don't want to see any more "if" question based on thinking, looking for some professionals solutions.

Long
I think that you are confused. As far as I know, UL is a private certification company and not a license to do anything. It does not grant anyone permission to do any installation.

long Liu

Do what most fabricators do and just drill a hole and let the installer figure it out.

I see. Thanks.
That’s what I found, wallbuster from Paige.

I am not installing the letters, but I do have to provide a good installation instruction... that’s the UL requirement. Which means I really have to know this.

well, so far everything I have completed following UL requirement.

Start to make sign properly is not that easy. Especially without professional instructions. I have to always try it and verify it with inspectors.

thanks
long.

long Liu

I think that you are confused. As far as I know, UL is a private certification company and not a license to do anything. It does not grant anyone permission to do any installation.

I am not confused at all, it is a certification,

I wanted to use the same word from the person who replied to me.

Long

long Liu

Long so you have passed/gotten the UL 48?
I dont know if you are a sign manufacturer.

to get a UL 48 certification, you need to register a course for UL 48. it explains you the most important code for different signage.

after you completed the course, you need to make your own signage. try to pass the following inspection.

the signage can be channel letters, box sign or neon signs....

DOES NOT have to be all the different lighting signage.

I made a channel letter with a raceway, and it passed.

If i want to do other type signage, I have to follow the requirement. I just cant do without knowing all of details.

the requirement for the wall buster connector can be very general, it probably be just UL recognized, or sign components.

that's why I am asking what everyone else is using?

Long

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Im no electrician but it seems to me that every place has a different requirement so I don't really know how you could tell someone a specific way to do this. Wouldn't it just be general like run wiring to local code?