• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Self-Healing Cutting Mat - Does side matter?

MariaMartini

I just opened my XTreme Self-Healing Cutting Mat that I ordered from Fellers.

It came with no instructions.

It has a matte side and a shiny side. Any idea which side is up?

Thanks again!

imaSIGNr

I've heard that people use both sides. I think the only difference is that one side has a grid on it. I'm about to flip mine over to use the other side.

Big House Signs

We use one side for 4-6 months then flip it over. Definitly use both sides...eventually after heavy use...it will not self heal anymore.
Paula

GK

I just opened my XTreme Self-Healing Cutting Mat that I ordered from Fellers.

It came with no instructions.

It has a matte side and a shiny side. Any idea which side is up?

Thanks again!

We use the shiny side sometimes after the matte side is all chewed up (it really isn't as self-healing as it should be lol). As for the grid, that came on a seperate sheet of styrene that we lay underneath the cutting mat so it was never an issue.

R08

I've chewed mine up on both sides pretty good. Didn't find much difference really. Time for a new one.

MariaMartini

about how long is the lifespan on those? I had one for about a year and a half then replaced it. How does that compare?

I'm not sure yet. We had a self-healing cutting mat at my old job, but I'm not sure if it is the same brand, though I think it is. It had been there approx. 5 years and needed replacing (but the company wouldn't spend the money). It worked okay still, but it was cut up pretty bad.

I'll try to keep you updated on how long this lasts me.