• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Self healing Cutting Table life expectancy

SignBoi

Hey Everyone,
We have a 5'x10' work table with a self healing cutting mat on it. This is the second one I've used in about 3 years. After a year we usually use clear packing tape on the side we have been cutting on then flip it over for the fresh side. I want to say the most recent one is a Rhino mat. I try to remind people not to always cut in the same place but there are favorite areas to stand and I end up seeing a million score lines in one spot.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a different, better or longer lasting cutting mat?
We also have a 4x8 glass top table (mostly used for premasking) and besides some small scratches in it (and eating Olfa blades) its has been perfect. I would like to add LEDs and diffuser to make it double as a light table.
Any other ideas or suggestions for work tables? I know Table height is critical and I will eventually use some 4x4s to raise all of my tables a bit.
Hope you all have a happy and profitable holiday season!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We usually use 1/4" thick puckboard on our work tables. Use it for a few months, then flip over. We do have one self healing mat on one bench and it doesn't make that much of a difference as far as I'm concerned.

It's been a while since we've ordered any since we added a flatbed cutter and it does most of the work, but here is the description from Polymershapes:
HDPE SH 0.220 48X97 WT SM/SM EX | AGRIWHITE PUCK BOARD

ikarasu

Yellotools one lasts awhile.

We have had one on our rolls roller for about 8 years now.... And our guy stands at the end for all his trimming, it looks like crap but it doesn't affect the cutting at all.

d fleming

I have been using tables with a galvanized metal pan bent to fit over the top for 30 years. Still doing just fine and magnetic sticks to it.

gnubler

I use a sheet of 6mm black Sintra. It's cheap and looks nicer than an actual cutting mat.
The only drawback is sometimes my blade gets stuck in a groove from a previous cut and steers it off track.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I've been using the same 4x8 cutting mat from, gag, Sign Warehouse for about 20 years now. It's still in great shape and likely to outlive me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Used duran with about 5 or so coats of clear on it. Changed them out about every 12 years. Last time, we put the backside of recycled poly faces on and they're doing great. Countersunk the screws and it's sweet.

IsItFasst

Make sure you are using something like an Olfa rotary on them. I noticed one of my mats was getting eaten up pretty bad...then noticed an employee using box cutter (pressing down hard) to cut through some sheets of material. This is something that could've been done with a tenth of the pressure with an rotary blade. He had started doing that at some point for some reason (some dumb excuse like "I was out of rotary blades" but of coarse was not told we needed to order any).

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
A major key is employee training. They need to understand that they are not trying to cut through the mat itself....

Typically the standard type would last us several years on our main table. Last new one we got was a Crystal one from Yellotools. Expensive but much better than the typical type of mats. If I did it again, next time I'd get their frosted version so everything does not stick to it so much like the glossy surface of the crystal one we have. That being said as it gets more use the gloss does reduce some over time.