• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Self Taught Newbie -- Color, Material or Media Setting Problem

samhayne

So I typically only do stickers on adhesive backed vinyl. I have a sticker booth that I take to car shows and at the last event there was a guy selling banners. It looked like a great addition to my product line. I bought one of his banners. It's printed on thick shiny vinyl which I believe is heat welded and has grommets. I'm trying to do something similar.

I have a Roland Versacam VS-300i. I usually only print on Adhesive backed vinyl both matte and gloss finish. My supplier sold me a banner vinyl made by Argent. It's AB-135 Frontlit banner. I chose matte finish which I think was a mistake. Now I know the matte is part of this issue but as can be seen in the photo, it looks VERY washed out. Is this just how matte vinyl is supposed to look? I think this media is a private label made for my supplier (Mac Papers). I couldn't find a media profile for it so I'm using "Roland DGA LBV2 Light weight banner vinyl". Is there something I'm missing? I know so little about sign making so if anyone can point my in the direction of some documentation, I'd be grateful. My heat settings are 40 heater and 45 dryer. Genuine Eco Sol ink. The dark banner is the one I bought and the pale one is my small sample test job. M printy head is in the low position.
IMG_20221222_194344505_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So I typically only do stickers on adhesive backed vinyl. I have a sticker booth that I take to car shows and at the last event there was a guy selling banners.
and my head is in the low position.
Yup.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
You need a better profile... preferably something you make yourself to match that vinyl to your printer.
We print on both matte and gloss banner materials and the only thing different is the finish. Colours are identical across both.

Jason Thomas

Run a color chart in Versaworks on your banner using the light-weight banner profile. Then adjust the spot color in your file accordingly. That will get you closer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Besides finding a better profile, it appears to be your monitor doesn't represent your printed colors very well. Use that same color blue and print on your vinyl, that you are used to and see if it's similar. Also, get yourself some recognizable banner manufacturer material.

samhayne

So I did a few different things to try and correct. Different media profiles. Customized media profiles. Tweaking the ink limits and fine tuning the colors. I have it to where it's barely ok but usable. Lesson learned is that I shouldn't have ordered matte. I also didn't know enough to order correctly. I suspect my supplier sold me a cheap high profit margin (for them) vinyl which I have found to be obscure and virtually non existent when researched. I'm going to order a more common gloss that has a well know media profile. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm using a Roland Versacamm VS 300i with Eco-Sol Max2 CMYK. The Agrent Brand they sold me is actually super easy to work with as far as cutting. It's a very "rubbery" texture and would be great once I do find a suitable setup for printing. It's a 13mil "front lit". The images show my different tests. The KTM logo that looks good is my typical adhesive backed vinyl that I use for stickers.

Attachments

• IMG_20221223_123747958.jpg
    IMG_20221223_123747958.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20221223_123739812.jpg
    IMG_20221223_123739812.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 121

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The matte is not your problem. We also use both gloss and matte and there is no difference in the color. It's most likely a lousy media that doesn't accept ink very well, plus your profile is all wrong. You're in florida..... there's a lotta places to get good banner material down there. We use 13oz, 15oz. and 18oz. and they all print fine. Just get something..... regardless of the cost and that should clear up your problems.