• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sewing Banners?

SKD937

Quick questions about using a normal sewing machine to hem up banners? Anyone else out there doing this?? We don't want to sub them out, but also don't have the money to spend on a super nice banner sewing machine, thoughts/recommendations?

WildWestDesigns

Quick questions about using a normal sewing machine to hem up banners? Anyone else out there doing this?? We don't want to sub them out, but also don't have the money to spend on a super nice banner sewing machine, thoughts/recommendations?

Any sewing machine can handle hemming. Even some overlock machines can do it as well with the proper attachments.

Your commercial Brother and Pfaff machines will work just fine for this application (or higher end home versions as well, if you do a lot of banners, I wouldn't go with a cheapo). Some on here recommend Juki, however, be careful there are two Juki brands out there (one is a splinter from the other) one handles commercial, the other home. The company that handles home typically has a LTD after Juki.

Of course, then you have the debate on rather to do single or dual needles. If you go single, Schmetz does have a twin needle (one shank, two needles) that is a good compromise (it just alternates which needle gets the bobbin).

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
A "normal" residential grade sewing machine is not capable of it without damaging the banner and the machine in the long run. To deal with the weight you need a industrial machine with a walking foot to pull the material through. A residential needle feed machine would probably bend the needle bar. Do it right or sub it out or use banner tape. Some of the top end residential machines might deal with it for a bit but you really need an industrial machine for this sort of thing.

SKD937

Thanks for the reply!!
We don't do a ton, but the amount that we do, it would be nice to keep it in house. Thanks for the links, I'll take a look and thanks again for the replay!! SKD

WildWestDesigns

A "normal" sewing machine is not capable of it. A household machine would quickly die if you tried to sew a banner with it. To deal with the weight you need a industrial machine with a walking foot to pull the material through. A residential needle machine would probably bend the needle bar. Do it right or sub it out or use banner tape.

I disagree. Your higher end home machines are and up until a few years ago, Pfaff were the only ones that had a true dual feed, everyone else had a sub par attachment, Pfaff had it built right in. That included their home machines. A walking foot is not true dual feed. It's better then not having it at all, but it isn't true dual feed. Now these machines that I'm talking about go from 7k to 13k new, which is on par for a commercial single head embroidery machine, so I'm talking about the really high end home sewing machines.

Now your mid to lower end ones, yes they won't do it.

fozzie

Try Hoffman brothers in Chicago. They have used industrial sewing machines for sale all the time. Hoffmanbrothers.com

phototec

Question about hemming the edge of banners?

Question about hemming the edge of banners?

A customer just showed me a banner he purchased from another source and sewn in the top and bottom hem was flat braded (Nylon) webbing, is this something that is common?

Does this make the banner stronger?

If you do this, what is the flat webbing material called and where can it be purchased?

Thanks

Christian @ 2CT Media

Its either nylon or polypropylene webbing and it does make the banner more rigid and tear resistant, it also increases the tension load strength if you have to span an area.

We buy ours from Keyston Bros or PerfectFit.

Zx360

We use a machine intended to sew sails, it's a single needle but it does the job with webbing installed.

phototec

Its either nylon or polypropylene webbing and it does make the banner more rigid and tear resistant, it also increases the tension load strength if you have to span an area.

We buy ours from Keyston Bros or PerfectFit.

Thanks for the info, I will check into it.

:smile:

rjssigns

For one or two banners we use hem tape and do them in house. Three banners or more they get subbed out. Easier, more profitable and way less headaches. At one time I wanted to do absolutely everything in house. Why give money away right? Wrong.
Everything has an opportunity cost. Google that term and read everything you can. It will change the way you do business.

phototec

For one or two banners we use hem tape and do them in house. Three banners or more they get subbed out. Easier, more profitable and way less headaches. At one time I wanted to do absolutely everything in house. Why give money away right? Wrong.
Everything has an opportunity cost. Google that term and read everything you can. It will change the way you do business.

You have a point!

About subbing banner out for hemming, what kid of price do you pay?

By the L/F or by the size of banner, lets say a 3x6 and 4x8?