• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sharing a Summa D140 between two computers

Lobo

I'd like to know if it's possible to share a Summa D140, connected to USB, between two computers.

/Toby

Lobo

I got a document from Summa. Seems like I have to get a printer server and hook it up to the network to be able to use it from two computers.

AKWD

There are automatic USB switches out there, but they can be absolute monsters when they want to, especially anything with bidirection communications -- Usually don't work properly or causes havoc. And whatever you do, DON'T send two jobs at once. LOL.

As mentioned above, just get a third cheap system that can run the software properly, and then either set it up to recieve remote print jobs (Print networking/whatever), or set it up to use Remote Desktop.

Lobo

I ordered a printer server that takes the USB and sends it out on the network. I think it will work fine.

Gene@mpls

I assume that the 3 computers are using different plot software? Easy to do
with Flexi- I use 3 plotters from 6 computers.

bump... update?

I am trying to accomplish a similar feat. I have one computer that runs Onyx and has CutServer, then another across the shop that shop that runs Summa WinPlot (also where our Gerber plotter is). Right now we Disconnect the Summa USB cable from the Gerber computer and move it to the Onyx computer when I have a contour cut print job.

Did anyone get a networked Summa to work? Or is there a way to send the CutServer info to the Summa over the network to the Gerber computer and just leave it hooked up over there?

Thanks!

(I am using a Summa s160t... but I don't think that would affect the conversation much...)

Last edited: