• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

shipping a 2nd hand printer and paying for it, do's and don'ts

Turbophein

i am looking at buying a used printer needing a head, its just what i need and its a decent price. i don't know the seller, he has supplied all the info i asked for, we have came to an agreement on price, and he is actually willing to do a COD. we both have no experience in shipping a printer or using a COD service... who should we use and who offers the COD service, they must be reputable for him to agree to it.

any info would be Great!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
For used machines out of the box and on the stand we use a furniture moving company. They use moving blankets and wrap it up to make sure it doesn't get banged up. You should get some foam or bubble wrap to place against the head and tape it so the head does not move during shipping. Also, make sure to put some 2x4s under the stand legs so that the casters(wheels) are lifted off the ground so they don't break during the move as they are very fragile. If you need a head for your machine feel free to call us and we can get you a quote. 303-733-6671

rjssigns

How far are you shipping? I've shipped a printer to Canada and built a "survival box" in my shop. I used to work freight/shipping at my old job and have seen it all. My boxes are built with that in mind. The other place you could use is Navis for packing/shipping. They do a real slick foam in place packaging that actually beds/envelopes whatever you're shipping.

Survival box= 4x4 skids with 2x4 stringers. 2x4 uprights. 1/2" plywood bottom, sides and top. 2x4's on top lay over and get screw shot to uprights.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
For used machines out of the box and on the stand we use a furniture moving company.

good advice, i've shipped printers and received them, by far the cheapest and best was a moving company.

the first printer i ever received shipped was smashed to hell and it took me two years to recover my money, that was from a freight company and the box it was in was pretty well built.... looked like someone had some fun beating the crap out of it with the fork truck....

ddarlak

Go Bills!
COD is probably never going to happen, you need to put some value into the deal and go for it.

use paypal and pay thru your credit card, if there is a problem and paypal won't help, you can fall back to your credit card for help.

i was paranoid with the first printer i bought, after the 6th or 7th one you relax a little.....

go for it

toomeycustoms

I'd recommend using an escrow company such as escrow.com. I've used it for selling some websites and it was hassle free.