• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop layouts

Hey everyone, I just got a 30x40 shop built and was looking to see how everyone has their shops laid out. It has a 10x10 door on the left side of the building and its reserved as an install bay. I have a mutoh 1624x printer, 65in seal laminator and 52in cutter that i just got from Fellers. Just trying to make the most with the space that I have available. Thanks again



Premium Subscriber
Are you setting up shop in that garage as a full time business or hobby ?? Will yu be applying for proper licensing and permits ??


Very Active Signmaker
I'd clear everything out of that garage and install better lighting to start. Between those printers and a work table and computer you're going to need every square foot of that garage to properly move about. Get a window a/c unit and a dehumidifier.
Are you setting up shop in that garage as a full time business or hobby ?? Will yu be applying for proper licensing and permits ??
itll be a full time business, ive been licensed since 2016. ive been running the business out of the bonus room of my house and finally decided to expand.

also the pictures with the equipment are from the attached garage. the new building is completely empty. still needs electricity ran and some sort of hvac setup.


Active Member
will you be using the laminator application to the substrate? If so remember to allocate for the infeed and the outfeed.
keep as much on casters as possible. you won't have a vehicle in the bay 24/7 so when no installing you can spread out.
make your application table the same height as your laminator outfeed.
are you going to store substrate on site or order as needed? allow for easy unloading and where you are going to cut the material so there is dust/debris.

Johnny Best

Active Member
I would put the laminator and printer, work table, table that holds cutter all on wheels. Once you get into the new space you can start moving things around as to how you need them. Plus if you bring a vehicle into letter it you will be able to move things out of the way. I would build a separate room with air take out system for the printer and to keep prints clean from dust and debris. Also keeps the kids from being exposed to VOC from the printer.


Very Active Signmaker
don't forget to INSULATE! If you plan on storing machines and material out there, you'll need to keep a constant temperature and humidity level.


Graphic Artist
put your work/cutting/weeding table on wheels so its easy to move around
make use of all the wall space, install pegboard or slat wall everywhere
look at fold down tables which are attached to walls (larger ones than the pic below)


Premium Subscriber
Sounds good. You might've thought about putting more windows in for natural light, but as long as you light it well, you should be good. Also, have plenty of receptacles all over.


New Member
I second having plenty of receptacles! Also cat5 to key locations for printer to computer etc.
and that rx7 is sick! do you follow tj hunt? looks similar minus all the crazy aero pieces he has.
Good luck with the new shop has to be really exciting. I plan on making the same move soon from extra room to detached garage.

Evan Gillette

New Member
Keep everything in the building as flexible as possible, you will likely do major rearranging every couple years. As others mentioned infeed and outfeed areas are very important. That is plenty of space for the equipment you are running but it does fill up fast. Just keep everything as organized and mobile as possible (everything on wheels) for the most flexibility. My suggestion for basic layout would be like this:
1. Linear flow from garage door to opposite end with equipment and storage between garage door and man door.
2. Substrate storage and cutting area just inside the garage door (you will want to cut a lot of substrates outside as much as possible to keep the mess down)
3. Tool and ladder storage just inside the garage door for easy loadout
4. Keep everything messy as close to that end of the shop as possible
5. At least (2) 4x8 work tables (on wheels) one for infeed and one for outfeed with room for your laminator in the middle. Also a banner hemmer uses this space if you plan to do those. I would position this "production line" going the long way down the shop closer to the far wall with enough space to walk all the way around. Also building tables with storage for your production tools saves a TON of time and space when in production. Basically try to eliminate having to take more than 5 steps to get any tool needed during your regular day to day production tasks. Developing what you like for this space will come with using it everyday, small changes can make a world of difference. This is where you will spend most of your time (besides the computer) so look for some good anti fatigue floor mats.
6. Computer workstations, printer, plotter and media storage arranged at the man door end. Again it is critical to keep these as fas as possible from the mess. When finishing interior keep in mind easy cleaning weekly (again everything on wheels when possible)
7. Getting creative with storage can make a small shop very practical. We operated similar equipment plus a small cnc router for engraving in an 800 square foot converted garage for many years before expanding to our current 3000 square foot space. Wall racks and pallet racking can be very versatile for workbenches and modular storage.
8. Depending on the amount of vehicle graphics you do, and if you have other areas for installation (your attached garage) you will want enough space inside the garage door to get a crew cab truck in and walk around.

These are some basic ideas from my experience. Its very similar to setting up any dedicated workspace, concentrate on what you plan to be doing 80% of the time and make that as efficient as possible. Chances are the other 20% of activities will find a way to work without much hassle. Good luck!