• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

shop lighting

jaylem

I am building a new shop and looking for any recommendations on lighting. What color? How much? Florescent vs. LED?

TimToad

How big is the shop and how high is the ceiling?

When we purchased our business last year, the previous owners had put those freakin' mercury vapor parking lot fixtures in what is about a 1,200 sq. foot space with 18 foot ceilings. The annoying hum and bad light off those things is driving us crazy.

We finally can afford to replace them and are about to replace them with 4-6, T5/4 lamp units. We're going to start with four and if needed add the other two.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We did all T5HO fixtures with a 6000k bulbs and could not be happier. Very bright and use a loss less electric than the old t12 fixtures.

A big concern is "usable light".

LED's and T8 lamps look bright, but they look bright at the source or fixture vs a T12, that is deceiving.

The T12 while a larger diameter, throws/disperses the light further. It all depends on how close your fixtures will be from the table tops, floor, splashing on the walls etc.

Pay the extra money for Tri-phosphor white lamps, their 30 to 40% brighter, and they'll stay brighter longer twice as long, if not longer. You won't regret it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're building, try to incorporate as much natural light as possible. WINDOWS. While you're at it, bring your overhead lights down to a height which won't be in the way of any production, but gives you the most possible lighting. Production areas like Westcoast said. In office areas, just about anything. Just nothing which interfers with monitor screens.