• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shopping for new printer

Stormyj

Just another guy
Hi all. Currently using a Roland sc540. It really is a workhorse. Prints great, cuts great. Can work on it myself. But, we don’t use it like we should, so maintaining it is becoming a headache. Looking to downsize. Maybe a 30” to 36”. Not sure what brand. Prefer printing and cutting. Any suggestions? Let me know your favorites. A few years old is ok. Thanks for your input.

rjssigns

If you're not using a printer much just sub out your prints. I sub stuff out all the time and have a 64" printer that gets used regularly. Things I don't get much call for get subbed out.

Stormyj

Just another guy
If you're not using a printer much just sub out your prints. I sub stuff out all the time and have a 64" printer that gets used regularly. Things I don't get much call for get subbed out.
I do sub out a lot of larger stuff through b2signs, Signs2trade and a few others. I just want one for easy local stuff, personal cut things. Some of the new uv and the other inks besides eco solvent. I still want a print cut for labels, things like that.

brdesign

I would think a smaller uv printer would have the same amount of maintenance as your current printer only real pro is a smaller printer would take up less floor space. An HP Latex is very low maintenance, but some of the models can waste a lot of material if you are constantly changing out rolls for one off jobs. If you just load one type of media and leave it, its not so bad. Also my experience with two different latex printers is that they can have big issues with color consistency if you are not constantly replacing the printheads, which can add up quick.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
A 30” printer will require the same maintenance as a 64” that’s the same model.

As long as you’re giving it a clean before you use it and a decent clean maybe once a week they should be fine.

CanuckSigns

All eco solvent and UV printers require maintenance to keep them running properly, the newer ones are more self-maintaining though. Our Epson S80600 only needs a manual cleaning about once a month at most.

latex printers have the advantage of not needing to be cleaned and they can sit unused for a long time, but the downside is the neverending cost of consumables to make that happen (printheads need to be changed regularly based on your use) there are also no print/cut latex machines.

victor bogdanov

I've had a Roland SG2 30 " and a 64" for the last 6 months. Trouble free running non stop. I wipe the heads down once per week and gtg, takes 2 min