• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Short rolls of Laminate

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
On walls, are people using matte or semi-gloss? Does anyone sell it by the foot, it's not something that I would ever use a whole roll of

Scotchbrite

No comment
This is something that comes up every time I've been to a product demo. There's some cool new laminate but you have no idea if it'll work for you but you can only find out by purchasing a 50 yard roll. In the past there have been a few laminates I was able to get a 5yd sample roll of. Basically it wasn't something listed anywhere, but it was something our vendor was able to request for us.

Might be worth checking with a vendor if you have a good one. Maybe they can get you a small sample roll direct from the manufacturer?

I've always wondered why some of the suppliers haven't considered laminate by the yard. I know they'll say it's because they're worried about dirt.

Notarealsignguy

I have a roll of 210 semi-gloss that's about 2-3 years old. The problem is that it STINKS like sour milk. I was wondering if this had anything to do with that particular material turning black after a few years of being outside

Scotchbrite

No comment
We've used some 210SG and I've never noticed it smelling. I'm not the one running the laminator but my desk is 15 feet away and there are some materials I can smell. 3M translucent is probably the worst.

Notarealsignguy

We've used some 210SG and I've never noticed it smelling. I'm not the one running the laminator but my desk is 15 feet away and there are some materials I can smell. 3M translucent is probably the worst.
It didnt smell when we got it but after time it did. It's rancid, smelled up the whole shop the last time I used it.

Notarealsignguy

I got a roll of 8520 matte if you need a few feet. I'll have to see if it's 54 or 60"
I need about 20', a roll of briteline is only about 200 bucks. Should I use matte or luster? I could probably find places to use up the luster, not the matte but I want it to look nice like wylds office minus the fancy furniture and organization

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Did I say any different ?? It could happen. Yep, that's the ticket. Rooster comb.

Notarealsignguy

It looks like he has a sloppy you know what hanging from his chin. No wonder he's always mad
PXL_20220119_160653041.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks more like he has a big sloppy turd hangin' out his butt......................

Yeah, you're gonna tell me his fertilizing a brown egg, huh ??

Precision

We wrap a lot of walls. We are in California. Most walls are painted in low VOC paints. It makes it hard to use cheap vinyl.

We wall test everything. We have used many different vinyls but have lots of confidence in some and sometimes cringe with others.

If you can get away with calendered vinyl, we'll use 3M Ij35, Arlon 8000, or not. With calendars we will lam with 3m 8510.

However, I have found I j180 or Arlon 6700 with 3M 8520 combo beats all on almost every surface hands down. Let's you sleep at night for a couple of extra $$, really worth it.

How we do it anyway. I hope this helps

Notarealsignguy

We wrap a lot of walls. We are in California. Most walls are painted in low VOC paints. It makes it hard to use cheap vinyl.

We wall test everything. We have used many different vinyls but have lots of confidence in some and sometimes cringe with others.

If you can get away with calendered vinyl, we'll use 3M Ij35, Arlon 8000, or not. With calendars we will lam with 3m 8510.

However, I have found I j180 or Arlon 6700 with 3M 8520 combo beats all on almost every surface hands down. Let's you sleep at night for a couple of extra $$, really worth it.

How we do it anyway. I hope this helps
I'm not worried about adhesion, it's in my office and I sprayed it with cheap flat white maintenance paint about 7 years ago, ceiling, baseboards and all. It worked out to about 5 bucks a gallon, nothing wipes off of it, I can even see my farts stuck on the wall.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
We use Drytac protac lustre (looks like being replaced by Interlam Pro Lustre) on Canon IJM538 (we're aqueous only). A good cross between gloss and matt. Result looks like a lustre photographic print, but with no texture.

Dead matt really kills the depth of colours and saturation for me - even when profiled, it's like the difference between matt bond paper and gloss/ lustre photographic prints.

It didnt smell when we got it but after time it did. It's rancid, smelled up the whole shop the last time I used it.
I'm no expert but I swear that pvc, vinyls and laminates must degrade over time! I've pulled out leftover remanant rolls that we've had sitting around for 4, 5 6, years and it is gross, the adhesive is almost gooey, sticky, not to mention the stinkiness.

Mr. Signboy

I always use matte for walls. JBurton is definitely right about 3M luster basically being gloss, honestly their matte looks more like satin as well. I would stick with Arlon if you’re looking for matte or luster. You can also buy Arlon in shorter roll lengths. I believe they sell 30,100,and 150ft rolls. I use matte laminate for decals a lot, I think that they look really good, maybe you could use up your extra that way?