• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

should I buy a NEW edgeFX or a USED edge?

ScooterX

everybody else seems to be jumping on the inkjet bandwagon, and now i'm finally looking at getting an Edge. so, is a NEW edge any better than a used one? does it do more, or am i just buying piece of mind (assuming they keep making replacement parts). if i get a used one and it needs a new head, what's that gonna cost me? i saw an ad for one "that just needs a power supply" so it seemed like it might be worth maybe $500 as a gamble.

smdgrfx

As a owner of a Edge LE and owner of an inkjet printer, I'll tell you that I get a lot of use out of my Edge. I called tech support this past Monday about a issue I was having and they called me back same day with a solution. My Edge is 10 years old and the only things I have replaced include the power supply (my Dad's fault for trying to wire in a j-box on the same circuit while I was printing - the surge from the short circuit fried the power supply - $350 to replace), the shocks, the ground strap, and the vinyl fingers. Not much really. I have had my inkjet for 1.5 years and have replaced a lot more dollar wise. I am actually considering buying another Edge. I do a lot of decals and vehicle graphics (service companies). I use my Edge a lot. It doesn't need laminate and it doesn't need to dry. It's easier to put a 12" print on in panels than a 48" print, or even a 30" print. Once you learn the limitations, you have no problems. I do paneled graphics all the time with my Edge and no-one ever complains. I had a DC-4 and gave it back. Too many limitations on vinyl. You can use almost any 15" vinyl on an Edge. And you can't do chrome and gold on a inkjet. If you have any questions, drop me a pm.

Service Sign Co

. I had a DC-4 and gave it back. Too many limitations on vinyl. You can use almost any 15" vinyl on an Edge.
You can use all brands on the Summa,the limitations are the foils. Gerber has more foil selections, plus spectratone capabilities. I believe after running an Edge LE for the last 10 yrs. I would opt for a Summa and find a workaround with it to replace what the Edge does.That's just my opinion

anthony smith

Have a edge fx and a edge 1 great machines but they are slower and yes you dont have to laminate but it does not hold up much past 3 years out side we do a lot of
police and switched to a mimiki we print refective and if you really want a edge
my fx is for sale
with a vision plotter and gerber software pm me and i will get back to you
just don t use and need the space but for what its worth i would not let my older one
go they are handy just dont need 2

ScooterX

this is all useful information! thank you all.

I have a really small "clean shop" space (the large space is devoted to woodshop/power tools room). The Edge seems like I can fit it in somehow (if I get rid of the screen printing stuff, which I never use any more). That's why an inkjet probably isn't in my future - just no room. Plus, I can pretty easily buy inkjet prints when I need them. The Edge does seem to offer some things that I'd like to add to my toolkit.

I'm just trying to figure out how to justify the costs. That's why the new vs used issue.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
When you buy a used Edge or Edge II you make a trade off. That is the greater potential for an expensive repair when the printhead finally goes vs. the much greater choice you will have in supplies because of the well developed aftermarket foils from third party vendors. Perfectly good foils will run you about half what GSP charges and that savings adds up pretty quickly if you do any decent amount of business.

My Edge LE is 11 years old and (knock wood) still on its original printhead. Repairs have run me less than $1K over the 11 years and down time about two days total. When my printhead goes, I will look for a used Edge II as a first choice or another LE as a second choice.

I bought a used edge2 with 45 foils with omage 2.1, 4800 minutes on it for $2750.00 , Gsx plus plotter for $650, A used USI 27" laminator for $139 (like new).. so far with upgrades (omega 3.0), bladeholder, cables etc I'm up to $5k.. deals can be had.. as for the screening equipt.. you won't need it.. my Edge also came with the LT foils for shirts.. printing shirts as simple as printing a decal. I too had limited space and this worked for me.. as for the printhead issue .. I got my equipment insured for $255 a year $100 deductable... so Ithink I covered all the bases.. I poked around and asked the same about the Summa and was highly recommended to go Edge... I can get inkjet prints anywhere for cheap.. and this sucker has made 4k back in the first 3 months.. let me know if I can help..

Checkers

Hiya Scoot,
Given the choice, I would go with the Edge II before I bought new. I think the II has more materials, foils, etc that it can work with.
Although I haven't used the FX, from what I read, it seems to be more of a "closed" system which Gerber is notorious for.

Checkers