• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I dump Thunderbird ?

Drip Dry

For the second time this year ( last time in April) I seem to have lost at least a month's worth of e-mails.

Everything was working fine when I left last night. When I came in this morning all the e-mails I got last night are blank in the message area.
That's bad enough, but it seems to have deleted the messages of all the past messages going back to the end of September.

If the message area is not blank, then it is filled with code that looks like web site code. If I sift through the code, I can find messages from different e-mails ( not belonging to the one I'm looking at)
Now, the only thing different was that my antivirus was asking me if I want to let thunderbird update itself. Once I did that, any new e-mails came through OK, but I still have the corrupted old ones.

Does anyone know how I can fix the old messages from being corrupted and stop it from happening in the future. Or should I go back to Outlook and deal with a different set of problems

Thanks

Locals Find!

Why not simply use Gmail?? You can check all your pop3 email accounts along with accounts from yahoo etc... in one easy format. That doesn't have the issues your experiencing. They give you plenty of storage space. I hardly ever delete anything and in 4 years of 300 emails a day. I haven't even gotten close to reaching my storage limit.

ProWraps

make sure that your messages are never deleted off your server when checking for new messages. this will never happen again.

genericname

Is it possible that your disk is damaged? It's the easiest way to explain an entire message library's corruption.

Anyhow, if you get your issue solved, why not set an automatic, scheduled backup of your Thunderbird data? That way, if you have similar issues in the future, you can just import the previously saved data, and lose a day's worth of info at the most.

It's something we should all be doing for our communications if we store them on site.

WildWestDesigns

Since I have Acrobat Pro, I use the "plugin" that it puts in my Outlook program to create PDFs that I then back up. Really a nice feature within outlook that Acrobat does. Makes it easy to clean up the Outlook program and makes it easier to archive it for later use if need be.

njshorts

also... just for grins- does your host use cpanel, or at least a program that supports maildir? if so, 2 simple lines of bash script can keep a backup and prune the current contents.

ucmj22

For the second time this year ( last time in April) I seem to have lost at least a month's worth of e-mails.

Everything was working fine when I left last night. When I came in this morning all the e-mails I got last night are blank in the message area.
That's bad enough, but it seems to have deleted the messages of all the past messages going back to the end of September.

If the message area is not blank, then it is filled with code that looks like web site code. If I sift through the code, I can find messages from different e-mails ( not belonging to the one I'm looking at)
Now, the only thing different was that my antivirus was asking me if I want to let thunderbird update itself. Once I did that, any new e-mails came through OK, but I still have the corrupted old ones.

Does anyone know how I can fix the old messages from being corrupted and stop it from happening in the future. Or should I go back to Outlook and deal with a different set of problems

Thanks

That happened to us here. We all use the same mail client, Apple mail, but the owner lost all emails linked to one of her email addresses. we use imap so I checked the server, and everything was gone back to 6 months like someone had wiped the server. this has happened 3 times. i think one of her mobile access devices is set up to erase read emails from the server after a certain amount of time.

Drip Dry

Why not simply use Gmail??

I used this mail account for the last 14 years. Everybody has it (including the scammers). Gmail is a free account and I don't think it really looks professional.

add your mail files to your daily backup.

i use Karen's Replicator, just because i always have...

What files would I backup ?

That happened to us here. happened 3 times. i think one of her mobile access devices is set up to erase read emails from the server after a certain amount of time.

The e-mails are there, but the message in them are gone or corrupted. I can see the headers. I know where they came from and when. I just don't know what they said.

I'm going to look into leaving them on the server, but I'm not sure how much I can store on it.
I really like to why it happens

Locals Find!

I used this mail account for the last 14 years. Everybody has it (including the scammers). Gmail is a free account and I don't think it really looks professional.

You can configure your gmail to handle your pop3 accounts and send from those accounts. That was what I was trying to get across. You use gmail like you would outlook or thunderbird expcept online. No one has to know your using a gmail account to read your emails at all. You would still send and receive using your regular 14 y.o. email address.

Its really easy to setup and will save you so many headaches. I never use my actual gmail address except for BS website signups like shopping carts or facebook etc...

qmr55

You can configure your gmail to handle your pop3 accounts and send from those accounts. That was what I was trying to get across. You use gmail like you would outlook or thunderbird expcept online. No one has to know your using a gmail account to read your emails at all. You would still send and receive using your regular 14 y.o. email address.

Its really easy to setup and will save you so many headaches. I never use my actual gmail address except for BS website signups like shopping carts or facebook etc...

Do what he said, it will save you tons of headaches! Gmail is the best...

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I'm currently switching over to GMail and so far I like it more and more

Although I really like Gmail and have two personal accounts, there is NO WAY I would ever use it for business, constantly running the risk of being denied access (for whatever reason).

I also think it is unprofessional-looking having a gmail/yahoo/hotmail account for a business.

Locals Find!

Although I really like Gmail and have two personal accounts, there is NO WAY I would ever use it for business, constantly running the risk of being denied access (for whatever reason).

I also think it is unprofessional-looking having a gmail/yahoo/hotmail account for a business.

See post #13

oldgoatroper

...except you must be online and you must have access to a working gmail server -- even to merely read existing mail.

Locals Find!

...except you must be online and you must have access to a working gmail server -- even to merely read existing mail.

or use any droid phone anywhere on the market. Works flawlessly. If your not online how are you getting email anyway?? If your internet is down you got bigger issues now a days.

oldgoatroper

or use any droid phone anywhere on the market. Works flawlessly. If your not online how are you getting email anyway?? If your internet is down you got bigger issues now a days.
Addy, one day you're going to get burned by this...

Mail should be always kept locally. I agree with the poster who said the problem with the OP's missing mail is far more likely due to disk error or OS error than it is with Thunderbird.

My mail (Thunderbird) is automatically backed up twice a day. Which is then end-of-day backed up to yet another drive which is taken off-site. I'm never far from a near-complete recovery and I can always read and review mail should I ever (for whatever reasons) be forced off-line. I take full responsibility for the safeguarding of my mail and I will NOT allow myself to be at the mercy of anyone for the safekeeping of my business correspondence.

Locals Find!

Addy, one day you're going to get burned by this...

Mail should be always kept locally. I agree with the poster who said the problem with the OP's missing mail is far more likely due to disk error or OS error than it is with Thunderbird.

My mail (Thunderbird) is automatically backed up twice a day. Which is then end-of-day backed up to yet another drive which is taken off-site. I'm never far from a near-complete recovery and I can always read and review mail should I ever (for whatever reasons) be forced off-line. I take full responsibility for the safeguarding of my mail and I will NOT allow myself to be at the mercy of anyone for the safekeeping of my business correspondence.

If google crashes and burns it will take an event that will make emails unimportant. Your talking earth shattering apocalypse style event for their back ups all to fail. I think my business will be obsolete if and when that happens and I really wont' be concerned about reading 3 year old work orders.