• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I dump Thunderbird ?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
If google crashes and burns it will take an event that will make emails unimportant. Your talking earth shattering apocalypse style event for their back ups all to fail. I think my business will be obsolete if and when that happens and I really wont' be concerned about reading 3 year old work orders.

Actually no. I've been shut out of Gmail and GDocs at least twice since they started. And it isn't necessarily Google that could be the problem. It could be anything from ISP problems to some jerk driving into a cable/phone junction box.

You place far too much faith in people who purport to give you services for free. What you're doing is scribbly and one day you'll get your butt burnt or bitten reeeeaaaal good.

oldgoatroper

Isn't Thunderbird free like gmail?

both free, yes. but two completely different beasts.

gmail. web app that "runs" in a browser. data (mail) is stored on google's servers. Gmail is a free service.

Thunderbird. email client program like Outlook, Eudora, Pegasus. Is a program that runs locally on your computer and collects data (mail) from your email service and stores it locally on your hard drive or network. Thunderbird is a free application/program.

WildWestDesigns

I hadn't thought of Eudora in a long time. Is that even still around? Its probably been at least 10 yrs since I've used that program. If not longer.

genericname

I'll be damned. That program brings back memories. Back in the day of having dial up. Well I had dial up still while people were going with cable and direcPC etc

I was blown away when we upgraded to a *GASP* 56k modem!

Man I love the sound of those things dialling out. My kids are going to think I'm like a crazy old prospector when I reminisce.

WildWestDesigns

I was blown away when we upgraded to a *GASP* 56k modem!

Man I love the sound of those things dialling out. My kids are going to think I'm like a crazy old prospector when I reminisce.

Aaaahhhh yes, the good old days. I actually watched a movie from the 90s where they were using computers connecting to the internet and that sound was going off. I don't miss the connection speed, but I do miss the sound. For some strange reason I do miss it.

Locals Find!

Aaaahhhh yes, the good old days. I actually watched a movie from the 90s where they were using computers connecting to the internet and that sound was going off. I don't miss the connection speed, but I do miss the sound. For some strange reason I do miss it.

If you really want to reconnect with that sound. Pick up your phone and dial someones fax number. You can get all the nostalgia without having to give up your internet.

Locals Find!

I miss red alert. I think I am going to try and dig out my old cds and play a game this weekend. That brings back memories and some blank spots I know there should be memories at.

oldgoatroper

c:Users\your user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\

waht?

In Thunderbird, click Tools -> Account Settings...

in the left pane, click Local Folders...

then, on the right you will see Local Directory: and under it, the filepath to the folder where your mail is stored.

Back up that folder.

Hicalibersigns

I used this mail account for the last 14 years. Everybody has it (including the scammers). Gmail is a free account and I don't think it really looks professional.

We use Google Apps for Business. It costs $50.00 per email account per year. We use our own domain name for email. I.e. unknown.user@hicalibersigns.com. Nothing unprofessional looking about it. In fact there is no way for a recipient to know that it is gmail. I tried hosted Exchnge, and it didn't work well for us. The ability to share documents, calendars, etc. makes this a very good tool. We couldn't be more satisified. Yes, it costs a few bucks, but take a look at the hardware and software for Exchange. As I said it works very well for us.

CanuckSigns

This thread is very helpful! I never knew you could use gmail as a mail client with your own domain! I set it up this morning and looks like it's going to be a vast improvement over thunderbird!

Thanks Addie

Mike F

If you really want to reconnect with that sound. Pick up your phone and dial someones fax number. You can get all the nostalgia without having to give up your internet.

Or... find a .wav of it on google, and set it in your system sounds to play when you log into your computer. I might have to do that at some point today, I miss it too for some odd reason. I miss all the "progz" for AOL too. I used to spend wayyyy too much time in the old AOL private chat rooms. Still have some good music I got from them that I have yet to find anywhere else. And a cd-r laying around somewhere of the "Devil's Own" scene release of XP from about a month before it came out. Those were the days...

Locals Find!

This thread is very helpful! I never knew you could use gmail as a mail client with your own domain! I set it up this morning and looks like it's going to be a vast improvement over thunderbird!

Thanks Addie

Your welcome, glad I could be of some help.

Also, for those browsing this thread because of the same issues as the OP see post #23.