• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I dump Thunderbird ?

Custom_Grafx

We use Google Apps for Business. It costs $50.00 per email account per year. We use our own domain name for email. I.e. unknown.user@hicalibersigns.com. Nothing unprofessional looking about it. In fact there is no way for a recipient to know that it is gmail. I tried hosted Exchnge, and it didn't work well for us. The ability to share documents, calendars, etc. makes this a very good tool. We couldn't be more satisified. Yes, it costs a few bucks, but take a look at the hardware and software for Exchange. As I said it works very well for us.

+1. Google Apps is a fantastic deal for $50. Calendar, docs, etc etc, are invaluable. It even upscales for when you want to add people, from memory, just another $50/year for each user. You could have a managed email/cloud computing solution for $500/year for 10 people in your business.

And if you want to back up your mails locally (which IMO is a must), switch on POP3 in gmail settings, then use something like thunderbird and it will download everything to your computer.

This means you can access your emails (both sent and received) even when offline. It also means you can backup the mail database file along with everything else you're backing up, daily.

I didn't do this for about a year though, then someone told me to do so... coz really, if google just went down, or got breached, or whatever, you can potentially lose everything. The joys of cloud computing.

So... it took a good few "sessions" to download around 4gb worth of email, but in the end, worth it. I now have all my sents and receiveds backed up locally and on my back up system.

Highly highly highly recommend doing this for anyone using "online" email.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Also, for those browsing this thread because of the same issues as the OP see post #23.

The link suggested takes me to a page entitled "Thunderbird 2.0 - Known Issues" -- which might be very handy for someone who is still using TB 2.0...

Current version of Thunderbird is 8.0

Locals Find!

The link suggested takes me to a page entitled "Thunderbird 2.0 - Known Issues" -- which might be very handy for someone who is still using TB 2.0...

Current version of Thunderbird is 8.0

My apologies then. As I am not a thunderbird user. I simply googled the issue the OP seemed to be having and that fit his description.

genericname

For the most part, the help file won't be that outdated. Mozilla's in a number war with themselves right now, as for the past six months or so, they've been releasing a new, full version upgrade every six bloody hours.