• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

showing print head lines

petepaz

i am printing a large set of decals with vp540
and the art has a black halftone
the first couple where good now i am getting lines
it is not printing even(i think)
i tried doing a cleaning
i am printing on oracal 3164 vinyl

Velocity

Do you have the specific profile for that vinyl? if not you may need to do some trials to get the best profile for the material. Also... you dont shut down the main power on your printer do you?

KR3signguy

He said the first few were ok, so the profile should be fine. It seems one color is dropping out. Most likely a clogged line or air.

Velocity

Granted. So are the lines appearing during a run where the first few are good and it progressively gets worse or is it now when you print you always get the lines?

petepaz

alright i did a med and a power cleaning and it is back on track
here's a thought why didn't i try looking in the manuel
it said when this happens try multiple cleanings and if it doesn't work you have to clean the heads
turns out my tech guy is doing an install so i couldn't get a hold of him

ChiknNutz

That's commonly called "banding" and can also be adjusted with your Media Feed Calibration, which typically needs to be adjusted with variations in material thickness. Have you done an Environmental Match today?

ChiknNutz

Hmmm, I've NEVER performed a medium or powerful cleaning on my machine in the 2+ years I've had it....only the normal ones. If that doesn't work, then I'll perform a manual cleaning.

Velocity

Do you shut down your main power at all? I used to do this thinking power surges could destroy my precious printer but Roland printers cycle every so often to keep the print head from clogging and it cost me dearly. Not trying to scare you but this caused my printer to band like that and it took a pair of new heads to fix. Panel power is ok to shut off but main power should be left on. Previous to that I had some broken pins that goin into the bladders that caused air to enter the bladders causing the same kind of problem.

KR3signguy

We keep our heads as clean as possible, the darn things are too expensive to replace $1200 per. Gotta keep the flow going!

iSign

Also make sure your printing bi directional.

why is that?
isn't it true that even in microscopic amounts, a drop of ink travels the direction of the head as it falls to the vinyl... so in bi-directional, half your drops are misaligned to the right & half to the left (in microscopically small amounts of course)...

...if in some prints, evidence of this phenomenon shows up as lines, then uni-directional may be better. Based on the first few printing well, I wouldn't suspect this inhis case, but I just wondered how bi-directional would be a preference?

KR3signguy

it depends on the picoliter, head hight, media stepping and positioning of the printheads. Some machines are straight forward, some are staggard, some move
C/M/Y/K/LC/LM and LM/LC/K/Y/M/C on the second pass with 24 heads.
most machines should print the same way to human eye it's just uni takes longer.

iSign

...and all that somehow explains why you would say "make sure your printing bi directional"?

KR3signguy

The laydown of ink seems to staggar on the droplets "depending on head hight" more on bi which slightly fills in the bands at least it seems to on ours.
Bi is the preference mainly because of speed but the stepping of the machine changes & that may be a factor in banding. I guess it depends on how the individual printer handles this.