• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shutting down printers nightly

Mikel53

So the company I'm working for is now shutting down the air supply every night. I'm running a Vutek H2000pro and need to know what the better option is. Should I shut the printer all the way down every night or leave it powered without air? I know the manuals say do not shut down nightly but what are dangers to the printer by doing this?

Mikel53

I want to keep the air on and in sleep mode so I'm having to argue my side of it. I figured it would be an easy argument between a $3000 compressor and a $200,000 printer, but not so much.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If your boss doesn't want to do it after you raised concern then just let it go. Your on the record and if something goes wrong your not the one out of 200k.

rjssigns

If your boss doesn't want to do it after you raised concern then just let it go. Your on the record and if something goes wrong your not the one out of 200k.

This^^^^

But get it in writing. I've been in the same types of situations. Surprising how fast management changes their tune when they have to sign off on a permanent document.

How's that go? Oh yeah; Say it forget it, write it regret it.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I'm not familiar with that printer, but what does no air pressure have to do with shutting down the printer. I would assume the automatic head cleaning is an electrical function, and not air pressure related...

If I had to guess, the air is used to raise and lower the rollers.

tbaker

There’s really no disadvantage to shutting it down nightly, apart from the warm up period in the morning. The lamps and ink will need to come up to temp before you print. A couple extra quick purges to rebuild the meniscus in the jets perhaps, but that’s about it.

shutting it down completely honestly isn’t a bad idea in this day of uncertainty, if you do your nightly 8 hour maintenance and shut it down, and the power goes out over night, you’re in a better position than if it was in sleep mode.

ink in the jets and lines will be fine, it’s UV, so it isn’t going to cure in a day or three. Additionally, if for some reason the compressor quits during the night you don’t have to struggle with the no main air system error.

personally, I prefer to put them to sleep as in the morning, quick maintenance and you’re off to the races printing, but apart from that 29-30 minutes getting started little benefit.

Mikel53

I'm not positive but it appears that when it looses air its like hitting the e-stop. everything shuts down at that point.

Mikel53

Efi Tech said absolutely do not shut it down daily. no explanation as to why. i have an 80ish gallon tank sitting around. i suggested a small compressor maintaining the air at night.

Superior_Adam

Efi Tech said absolutely do not shut it down daily. no explanation as to why. i have an 80ish gallon tank sitting around. i suggested a small compressor maintaining the air at night.
I would ask what damage it could cause so that way they know what damages could happen

citysignshop

Pretty sure I don't know nuttin'...'bout nuttin', but simple logic would say;
put a simple valve in the line feeding the printer, say on the nearest wall, you probably have a union there anyway.
check that it's reasonably airtight...you'll know the first morning.
turn the valve 'off' at the end of day, this line will maintain the pressure that the printer feels, it won't know the compressor is off.
First thing in the morn, after the compressor is up to pressure, open the valve, you're off and running.

and....WHY is the compressor being turned off? Does it really run more than once to makeup for leaks in the system? Just turn the main valve OFF at the compressor at the end of the day. The compressor will Never come on at night!
Sounds like your boss is chasing his tail.
More important than it running once or twice at night, when is it DRAINED and serviced properly!? that's the real death of a compressor, and a rusty tank bottom is VERY dangerous!
...but I don't know much about anything...…;-b)

Mikel53

Pretty sure I don't know nuttin'...'bout nuttin', but simple logic would say;
put a simple valve in the line feeding the printer, say on the nearest wall, you probably have a union there anyway.
check that it's reasonably airtight...you'll know the first morning.
turn the valve 'off' at the end of day, this line will maintain the pressure that the printer feels, it won't know the compressor is off.
First thing in the morn, after the compressor is up to pressure, open the valve, you're off and running.

and....WHY is the compressor being turned off? Does it really run more than once to makeup for leaks in the system? Just turn the main valve OFF at the compressor at the end of the day. The compressor will Never come on at night!
Sounds like your boss is chasing his tail.
More important than it running once or twice at night, when is it DRAINED and serviced properly!? that's the real death of a compressor, and a rusty tank bottom is VERY dangerous!
...but I don't know much about anything...…;-b)

It bleeds out the air in the line and filter rather quickly but there is almost no volume. Im going to plumb in the 80 gallon tank and cut the air to the building and see how long that tank will supply for sleep mode. As far as why they are turning it off for 6 hours is to reduce maintenance on the compressor. It is not properly maintained. This makes perfect sense to me. Save on the compressor while sacrificing the printer shm

Andy D

You really need a dedicated compressor for your printer.

Even if they were not shutting it down at night, they don’t
have to be as diligent about draining the tank of water and
condensation traps.

Greg Kelm

www.cheetaprint.com
I shut my printer down (gs3250lxr) at the end of the day and don't have any problems the next morning whatsoever. Even in sleep mode, my compressor will rarely shut off which is annoying. I wonder how many of you chiming in, have and run a vutek...

Mikel53

I shut my printer down (gs3250lxr) at the end of the day and don't have any problems the next morning whatsoever. Even in sleep mode, my compressor will rarely shut off which is annoying. I wonder how many of you chiming in, have and run a vutek...
What size compressor are you running?

Greg Kelm

www.cheetaprint.com
mattei blade 5 which is 7.5hp with 270L (70gal) tank. I probably also have another 30gal just in air line running in a loop throughout the warehouse...

player

I am not sure about a fish tank compressor, but a small compressor from a hardware store with a tank is what I would use.

C2002_1.jpg