• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Estimating Software

Signworks_WI

Happy Monday Everyone,

This weekend on Facebook it was brought to my attention that the estimating sign software we have been using (EstiMate) now doesn't have a website and is sending out their license files from a gmail account - I am seeing the writing on the walls and want to be proactive to get us into something newer sooner rather than later so we don't lose our minds hurrying to make a change. We really liked that software because of the simplicity it had and that it was easy to use.

Has anyone that was using EstiMate transitioned to a new software, what is it and what made you make the change to it.... Also if you are using one you really like what are you using?
Thank you in advance!

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I am seeing the writing on the walls and want to be proactive
One of the first things to do is to learn, ASAP, if you're able to export any or all data from your old system. If not, hopefully you have lists of customers, products, components, suppliers, etc., available to export from your bookkeeping software such as QuickBooks.

We really liked that software because of the simplicity it had and that it was easy to use.
If you really like EstiMate, it's possible to re-imagine a vast portion of it using modern Claris FileMaker database software. Somebody in your shop with graphic layout skills (duh) and another with spreadsheet skills (duh) could build a solution with trust the software won't go stale. The widgets used in EstiMate would likely require a seasoned FileMaker developer to add those features if they are must-haves for you. However, you might be able to find those existing FileMaker add-ons yourself if they're out there. (Very likely some of them are.)

I just started using this software a few months ago and didn't know this was going to happen.
Not the end of the world. Again, determine if you are able to export data.

EstiMate is strong software. Ideally and upgraded, it could be ported to FileMaker and maintained. Otherwise, users are locked into SaaS albeit that's not the worst thing in the world either so long as they offer to export your data.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I see these threads all the time here. What is it all of you are really looking for in these estimate programs ??

Are you trying to track jobs ??
Are you trying to figure out where each and every bolt or screw has been used ??
Are you keeping track of inventory ??
Are you completely figuring out a price for a small/large sign ??
Are you keeping track of change orders and project change-overs ??
Are you looking for numbers to increase with this electronic estimator ??

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Happy Monday Everyone,

This weekend on Facebook it was brought to my attention that the estimating sign software we have been using (EstiMate) now doesn't have a website and is sending out their license files from a gmail account - I am seeing the writing on the walls and want to be proactive to get us into something newer sooner rather than later so we don't lose our minds hurrying to make a change. We really liked that software because of the simplicity it had and that it was easy to use.

Has anyone that was using EstiMate transitioned to a new software, what is it and what made you make the change to it.... Also if you are using one you really like what are you using?
Thank you in advance!
I would recommend looking into SignTracker and Shopvox. As ColorCrest stated above, export your data ASAP.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I see these threads all the time here. What is it all of you are really looking for in these estimate programs ??

Are you trying to figure out where each and every bolt or screw has been used ??
Yes, and especially those stainless screws.

So it goes with shops trying to curb mistakes and waste not to mention trying to schedule workload and capacity of people and machines.

Even the smallest shops could use the software. About 90 days ago I ordered simple parking place signs for a small group of properties from the same shop as two years earlier. The signs didn't match the previous order. It wasn't a material supply problem, it was a rounded corner and print method problem. Then, just a couple of weeks ago, I ordered additional signs. Those signs did not match either previous orders.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
So, how would this software prevent that ??
Good software will demand a certain workflow.

One of the first questions of people ordering signs is; "Have you ordered from us before?"

I can't create a quote or a work order without first looking up the account who will pay the invoice along with their person who is responsible to place the order. Once that account screen appears, I see all their contacts who are authorized to place an order and all of the account's previous orders. Once I click the contact's name, the order list is filtered to display just their previous orders.

In the line items of previous orders is a list of every component which made up the sign product along with operators, machines, and pricing. I can duplicate the line item to a new quote and any price increases will be accounted for when the same product is ordered. If changes in make-up have been necessary, that too is automatic. The contact is responsible for approving the quote and any price and / or material changes.

In my case of ordering for a friend who is a landlord, I was assured by the sign franchise they knew the account from being a customer over the years. It turns out, they knew the customer but they did not know the product nor his discount for this particular product. (He replaces signs before they fade.)

Last edited:

jimbug72

Of all of the Sign Estimating solutions I'd looked into, EstiMate was hands down the easiest software to setup and operate. While not perfect, once it's set up to suit your needs it does a pretty decent job at getting a fair ballpark price. Works really well with basic signage.

If OP's shop is anything like ours, (a small shop where signs are maybe 40-50% of our business, the rest is screen printing, embroidery and athletics) then there are folks behind the counter that have no real concept of what it costs to make signs & decals. We are a small shop where everyone has their specialty, but we all know enough about each department to help out when needed, but not necessarily how to price every job in every specialty. When Cathy from embroidery is the one catching the simple sign/sticker order at the counter, it's much simpler to have one central place to throw a accurate enough price together. It works well enough that pretty much anyone in the office can quote at least 70% of the sign related jobs that come through the door. It basically does no inventory tracking or anything useful beyond estimating, but for simplicity of setup and general use, EstiMate is tough to beat.

Luckily, we bought ours years before they moved to the subscription model, so if they fade away it shouldn't really affect us as long as our backups are maintained. Unfortunately, the way their licensing was handled in house, I don't think OP will be able to find an older version as a solution and I don't have an alternative solution to offer.

damonCA21

If its work you are doing all the time, then you shouldn't really need software to tell you how much it is going to cost. You will know from recent similar jobs what your base costs were. The same way a builder or plumber can look at most jobs and know from experience how much to quote based on materials and the time it will take

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
If its work you are doing all the time, then you shouldn't really need software to tell you how much it is going to cost. You will know from recent similar jobs what your base costs were. The same way a builder or plumber can look at most jobs and know from experience how much to quote based on materials and the time it will take
We do that with our paint shop but Estimate made the sign pricing much easier, it only takes a second to quote vs going back through old job costing reports. Contractors spend an inordinate amount of time bidding jobs so I don't think the plumber is the best comparison. Service work for them is typically by the hour because it is too time consuming and difficult to estimate unless it's something like a water heater, faucet swap etc.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I used Estimate years ago and I really liked it. I have since changed to SignTracker. I did not import any data. I like it for the estimating part and the job tracker part. There's a lot of extras in it that I haven't gotten to yet. I find it very easy to use. Drop and drag.

Centro Graphics

Literally just came to this site to mention the same thing about Estimate Software and here is the thread already. I emailed them about their webite about 10 days ago, no reply.

They should be doing the decent thing and updating their customers whats going on.

I have downloaded a sign tracker trial. Still do not truct cloud based estimating programs at all.

Gino.
I have found using pricing software really speeds up pricing. Once all internal pricing set up (also a growing database, ebven after 14 years in), its quck, consistant and can pull up previous jobs instantly, see spec's costs, profits. Able to go in and add vendor price increases whilst keeping our own margins in tact. the list goes on.....

Will be looking into other pricing systems.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Still do not truct cloud based estimating programs at all
My curiosity was piqued a few years ago when a certain SaaS provider touted on the front page of their website particular numbers in dollars that went through their system and certain other stats such as volumes of orders, etc. Well, I had two takeaways; 1) they were aggregating everybody's sales, :confused: and 2) users were only winning ~40% of their bids.:oops:

If sites go down, yes, it's very inconvenient but things are usually reconnected rather quickly. However, the other aspects of data management....
...?

javagod

Manager
Happy Monday Everyone,

Thank you in advance!
Hi: When's the last time you received a license file? I also still use this software and have for years. I just can't load onto new machines because it can't contact their license server. Is that your issue too?

Dan Purcell
Purcell Printing and Signs
515-331-7565

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Been running 2.0 for over 10 years
I wonder if that's 70 in dog or software years?

The situation with EstiMate is unfortunate, however maybe it helps to consider it provided a great utility but now it’s just simply retirement time if one is lucky enough to make it so far. I have to retire yet another trusted vehicle before long with over 200K miles but a crystal clear windshield compared to another much newer vehicle with only 40K. It’s part of what makes the world go around, so I’m told.

At a different thread here in the forums, I recently posted sort of an example of how quickly I created a "Job" screen using FileMaker.

https://www.signs101.com/threads/estimate-and-accounting-software.173613/post-1615823

redprint

Happy Monday Everyone,

Thank you in advance!
I was just at their website, estimatesoftware.net. They have been sending licenses like this for years and their website hasn't changed much. Upgrades haven't happened much at all. What writing on the walls are you seeing? You didn't say what it said?