• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Sign face down due to high wind advisory

NjojoW

Do you ever get sue or repair for free sign face down due to high wind?
I was replacing power supplies and closing the face 6 months ago. High wind advisory here in NW over the weekend.
customer is complaining and ask me to repair it for free.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you want him to remain a good customer or spread news around of his interpretation of what happened and tarnish your reputation ??

Need more information than what you've given thus far to make an assessment of the situation. Pictures of before and after would also be helpful.

2B

What?

you did repairs 6 months ago, recently had high winds, causing damage and they want free repairs?

NjojoW

Do you want him to remain a good customer or spread news around of his interpretation of what happened and tarnish your reputation ??

Need more information than what you've given thus far to make an assessment of the situation. Pictures of before and after would also be helpful.
don't care about them spreading bad news. one of the bad list customer.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Did you put the sign face back in correctly? Did you notice anything wrong with it when you were working on it? If not, then let them know all you did was service the inside and you closed it back up the way it came... can't be responsible for the face blowing out in high wind... that happens. Sell them on remaking it.

visual800

You are not responsible for natural occurances of weather. You simply have a client with the "you touched it last" syndrome. He should have had insurance on his sign. Throw it all back in his face and tell him to Bring it, nothing will happen trust me.

brentjosker

i refer to this as a "act of God" incident, depending on the wind speeds. That will also depend on sign face size, pan or not, condition of face at the time of service, retainer size. 1 inch to 2.5 inch. over a certain size you need plastic center back stops, so needless to say there are alot of variables to consider. Was it lexan, high impact acrylic, or just regular acrylic? the type of damage sustained by the sign face should tell you the cause of the failure. a careful inspection should give you some answers. Overall my answer would be, sorry , NO

Eforcer

i refer to this as a "act of God" incident, depending on the wind speeds. That will also depend on sign face size, pan or not, condition of face at the time of service, retainer size. 1 inch to 2.5 inch. over a certain size you need plastic center back stops, so needless to say there are alot of variables to consider. Was it lexan, high impact acrylic, or just regular acrylic? the type of damage sustained by the sign face should tell you the cause of the failure. a careful inspection should give you some answers. Overall my answer would be, sorry , NO
I totally agree with the "Act of God" <---Lost my canopy to a storm and insurance used this term on us. I've had a situation where red failed on a banner. Told the customer, sorry but after three years colors are going to fade. SMH how clients believe that we should mind their businesses.

Last edited:

Z SIGNS

A mechanic works on your car. Six months later a hail storm comes and does a lot of damage to your car. Is the mechanic responsible for the damage?