• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Install...

petepaz

yeah i wouldn't worry about the cold too much. i have found as long as you get it to stick it will be ok. i have installed truck lettering in 27 degrees with snow on the truck. sucked more for my hands but the vinyl was ok. like already mentioned just go slow and be cautious because it does rip easier in the cold.

unclebun

yeah i wouldn't worry about the cold too much. i have found as long as you get it to stick it will be ok. i have installed truck lettering in 27 degrees with snow on the truck. sucked more for my hands but the vinyl was ok. like already mentioned just go slow and be cautious because it does rip easier in the cold.
Not so sure I'd depend on that. I remember driving by a big landscape stone provider one winter day and seeing a guy from a competitor's shop up on a lift installing vinyl lettering on the existing sign in 35 degree weather. The day before had been warm, over 60. But that night a cold front was coming in, and it was already windy while he was installing the vinyl. That night the temperature dropped to the single digits and the wind was ripping. The next day I drove by the same sign and there were just a few shreds of vinyl hanging on around the edge of the sign.

petepaz

Not so sure I'd depend on that. I remember driving by a big landscape stone provider one winter day and seeing a guy from a competitor's shop up on a lift installing vinyl lettering on the existing sign in 35 degree weather. The day before had been warm, over 60. But that night a cold front was coming in, and it was already windy while he was installing the vinyl. That night the temperature dropped to the single digits and the wind was ripping. The next day I drove by the same sign and there were just a few shreds of vinyl hanging on around the edge of the sign.
the cold can be an issue for sure but in my experience it's generally been more of an issue with the poor circulation in my hands than with the vinyl. you always want to try and install in warmer conditions but i have had a few situations where i had to install below 30 degrees. definitely not as easy as in 60 degrees but it can be done. also there are many things that could come in to play other than the cold temp, what material you are using, how you prep'd the surface, wind and it will definitely take longer in colder temps because you have to work slower so the material doesn't rip. again on the rare occasions this happens i due recommend to the customer we work out an indoor location with temp control and if that can't happen and they absolutely need there truck or sign lettered i tell them due to manufacture specifications for the material we won't warranty the install. the thing on most of these jobs the customer can't or won't wait 3 to 4 months for the weather to warm up to have the sign up or truck lettered

Stacey K

I like making signs
the cold can be an issue for sure but in my experience it's generally been more of an issue with the poor circulation in my hands than with the vinyl. you always want to try and install in warmer conditions but i have had a few situations where i had to install below 30 degrees. definitely not as easy as in 60 degrees but it can be done. also there are many things that could come in to play other than the cold temp, what material you are using, how you prep'd the surface, wind and it will definitely take longer in colder temps because you have to work slower so the material doesn't rip. again on the rare occasions this happens i due recommend to the customer we work out an indoor location with temp control and if that can't happen and they absolutely need there truck or sign lettered i tell them due to manufacture specifications for the material we won't warranty the install. the thing on most of these jobs the customer can't or won't wait 3 to 4 months for the weather to warm up to have the sign up or truck lettered
Yes, I completely agree. This is a new restaurant leasing the building down the road and they open on Saturday. They just stopped in Friday so, I can't really wait now. I'm going ahead with the vinyl. I''m not sure what's behind the panel that's there so that scares me a bit screwing into it with substrate. No wind tomorrow so it should be OK. I allowed for plenty of extra install time due to the cold...vinyl can be a pain installing in the cold. I'll report back...thank you!

petepaz

Yes, I completely agree. This is a new restaurant leasing the building down the road and they open on Saturday. They just stopped in Friday so, I can't really wait now. I'm going ahead with the vinyl. I''m not sure what's behind the panel that's there so that scares me a bit screwing into it with substrate. No wind tomorrow so it should be OK. I allowed for plenty of extra install time due to the cold...vinyl can be a pain installing in the cold. I'll report back...thank you!
I WOULD JUST EXPLAIN THE SITUATION TO THEM ABOUT THE COLD TEMP AND INSTALLING VINYL. I FIGURE THEY HAVE TWO OPTIONS, 1 GO WITH THE VINYL AND TAKE THE RISK OR 2 MAKE A BANNER YOU CAN FASTEN TO THE EXISTING SIGN UNTIL IT'S WARM ENOUGH TO INSTALL THE VINYL. I WOULD THINK YOU COULD JUST SCREW IN TO THE EXISTING PANEL BUT WITH OUT SEEING IT CAN'T KNOW FOR SURE. WE HAVE DONE THAT ON MANY OCCASIONS, JUST MAKE A NEW PANEL AND INSTALL OVER THE EXISTING PANEL. GOOD LUCK

Stacey K

I like making signs
I just fell off my chair when I checked my FB this morning. I got this sign done yesterday and posted it on my FB page. Gino saved my life with bringing my little heater, sun was out but it was still a bit cool with the breeze. Two hoodies and my coat, took my coat off cuz I was getting too warm. It took me a while to heat this entire thing up with my heat gun so it stuck good - it's right up the road so I'll be keeping an eye on it. There's a couple little spots that have a wrinkle but it's sitting in the middle of a grassy area with 50' all around. Nobody will see the imperfections.

Check out the stats on this...11,435 people reached, 1,894 engagements and 137 shares. The most I ever had while in business was 2,000 people reached. I don't care what anybody says...FB is free and it's the best way to advertise.

And as you can see, Boudica and I had the same design, just different fonts LOL WOW...thank GOODNESS I was able to sell them this design vs. theirs. Thanks to everyone for your help, went better than expected!
1669992227772.png

petepaz

good job and totally agree about facebook, actually social media in general is great if used for good and not evil..haha.
i post almost all my jobs on social media, like you said it's free advertising and i have gotten quite a few new jobs because of that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Now, the big question is..... is their food any good ?? Evidently the pizza shop was sh!t, cause it closed down real quick.

Medina Signs

Old Member
I'm a bit stumped on this one. Some of you may remember 2 years ago when I made these sign boards. I cut them and dropped them off and the contractor who was doing work there installed them. Well, they recently closed the doors due to no help and the new person who is leasing came in for a new sign.

They put the brick over the top of the sign? I was thinking it might be easiest to just print vinyl and place over the top of this? It's like 32-45 degrees Fahrenheit this week and not getting any warmer. Do I make a little tent with a heater and apply vinyl over the top? Thanks for any help, since they are leasing, there is not an option of removing the brick, I have to work with what is here.
Make a new shaped panel and place over the top = 4mm - 6mm or better yet 12-13 mm see the pic

Attachments

• sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 104