• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Tape?

sardocs

Years ago when I handlettered most of the jobs I did 1/4" green plastic sign tape was a staple in the shop. I'd put a strip top and bottom of the line of copy and paint in the letters, pull the tape and finish off the rounding "flat tires" on the curved parts of the letters. I had a box of 144 rolls that once vinyl letters became the norm, lasted until just last week. I called Grimco, ND, and all the rest of my regular suppliers and none of them know what I'm talking about. Does this stuff still exist? Am I calling it by the wrong name? Anybody know who sells a similar product? My last little bit says Scapa tape on the roll, but their website doesn't have anything like it. What do you hand lettering ol'timers use now?
sign tape.jpg

sardocs

Thanks WH for the reply, but the stuff I need is 1/4 or 3/16 and it's a strong but really thin material. I guess scotch tape might work in a pinch.
As far as getting back to normal, I live in Pender Harbour on the Sunshine Coast. There was some minor flooding here but nothing like in the rest of the province where thousands have lost their homes and farms.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Years ago when I handlettered most of the jobs I did 1/4" green plastic sign tape was a staple in the shop. I'd put a strip top and bottom of the line of copy and paint in the letters, pull the tape and finish off the rounding "flat tires" on the curved parts of the letters. I had a box of 144 rolls that once vinyl letters became the norm, lasted until just last week. I called Grimco, ND, and all the rest of my regular suppliers and none of them know what I'm talking about. Does this stuff still exist? Am I calling it by the wrong name? Anybody know who sells a similar product? My last little bit says Scapa tape on the roll, but their website doesn't have anything like it. What do you hand lettering ol'timers use now? View attachment 156864
Call a body shop supply place, they call it fine line

sardocs

I have fine line tape here in the shop, it is too thick. You get a small run along its edge where the quill crosses onto it. We used to order it as " 1/4" sign tape " from any of our suppliers.

Notarealsignguy

I have fine line tape here in the shop, it is too thick. You get a small run along its edge where the quill crosses onto it. We used to order it as " 1/4" sign tape " from any of our suppliers.
Post a picture of your fine line tape cuz what we have looks exactly like what you have. It's like a plastics rubbery tape and doesn't bleed at all even if you bury it.

sardocs

Maybe this stuff has gone extinct, but it's what every sign painter I ever knew always had in his kit. I appreciate your help, guys.

Attachments

• fineline vs sign tape.jpg
    fineline vs sign tape.jpg
    645.7 KB · Views: 202

Z SIGNS

We used to used just regular old scotch tape. The clear stuff. Pinch the ends over to make it easy to remove

Notarealsignguy

Maybe this stuff has gone extinct, but it's what every sign painter I ever knew always had in his kit. I appreciate your help, guys.
I don't think that's the same stuff, look at 3m 471+ or 06525
Here is ours and it looks the same as your original picture, it's an off brand
PXL_20211208_211738262.jpg

sardocs

Thanks Notarealsignguy, I'll ask our suppliers for a sample roll or two those. I have used the Scotch tape in the past.

studio 440

i have found that the new blue vinyl 1/4 inch tape works great , an auto body product . but yes you can still get fine line tape down to 1/16

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Is it just me, or are there suddenly a lot of threads about TAPE ?

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

i have found that the new blue vinyl 1/4 inch tape works great , an auto body product . but yes you can still get fine line tape down to 1/16
Fine line isn't about the width of the tape, it's the type. You can get it up to an inch wide at least. I assume they call it fine line because when you tape and paint a line, there is little to no ridge and no bleed.

SignosaurusRex

Scotch Brand #26344 is my "go to" for 1/4" (pastel green) when hand lettering.
John Hannukaine, the well known sign artist and renown Pinstriper turned me on to FBS #48480 ProBand Fineline for 1/8th"
Some "printing" supply houses may still offer (Scotch) Ruby Red Litho tape. It works very well and comes in various widths (1/4, 3/8, 1/2 etc)
Many of the Auto Body Supply houses carry...or can get you the 3M Fine-Line tape in 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2". Some of the A.B. Supply houses also offer good alternatives. It can be a "Hit or Miss" in finding good alternatives to what we were accustomed to easily acquiring back in the day. Despite that, there are many fine alternates available ...just requires some searching for what YOU can get in your area. Be prepared... the manufactures know the market... who wants it, why, and they price it accordingly.
Interestingly enough... FROGTAPE (yellow) is great stuff. Unfortunately I only found it in 1" .

Last edited:

sardocs

I spent a few days at John Hannukaine's house back in the late 90's for one of his pinstriping workshops. He is an amazing talent. I learned a lot of tips 'n' tricks from him and Gary Jenson. We even had a jam session with him on keyboard playing "the Process Blues".

GettysburgSigns

I've had luck with Tesa brand tapes over the years (but not the fineline series)
This link should direct you to a very nice listing of their "Filmic" tapes.
It's very informative, even if you don't find something you like.

A quick scroll will give you many options.
Click on the tape number, and then its corresponding down-arrow.
Examples:
60404 - 67micron PVC
51108 - 54micron PET
51407 - 62micron POLYMIDE

--- 54micron is approximately 0.002in

citysignshop

I'm also looking for good ol' sign tape....a few places that list it, are out of stock...supply issues? back in the 80's, it all came from some place in Switzerland?
The Tessa tapes are the closest I can find, but the description online leaves me wondering how thick, flexible, etc. it is? Finally saw something on ULINE that looked promising; 2 mil, bag closure tape....comes in a few widths, I tried the grab box of 8 assorted colours, in 3/8"....for about $45 cdn. seems pretty darn close to sign tape, not too stretchy, not super tacky ( it's intended to bond to itself around the neck of your bagel bag!)
part # S-5365...made in Germany, if that makes you feel better? ;-b)

sardocs

I never thought to check Uline. They keep sending me 20lb catalogues. I'll try them out, thanks for the tip!