• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SignGold vs. Vinyl efx Gold

BrianKE

I have a job coming up with a local fire department. They already have their trucks lettered with a gold vinyl w/ large engine turn. In looking for a similar material I have found SignGold and R-Tape's Vinyl efx. Both have what appear to be a match to the current vinyl used on the fire trucks.

I don't have any experience with either of these materials so I would like to know:

1. Do the two products look the same? I know R-Tape is a metallized PVC film versus true gold on the SignGold but does the 4x cost of SignGold vs R-Tape really look better?
2. I have read a number of posts that say you have to edge seal the SignGold. Is the same true for the R-Tape?
3. Are there any special cutting techniques for the SignGold or R-Tape? I have a Graphtec plotter and will only be cutting, no printing.

TIA

Kottwitz-Graphics

1. Do the two products look the same? I know R-Tape is a metallized PVC film versus true gold on the SignGold but does the 4x cost of SignGold vs R-Tape really look better?
2. I have read a number of posts that say you have to edge seal the SignGold. Is the same true for the R-Tape?
3. Are there any special cutting techniques for the SignGold or R-Tape? I have a Graphtec plotter and will only be cutting, no printing.

TIA

1. Signgold looks more like traditional gold leaf. The R-tape is a more shinny, more like you would expect a mylar type film to look. I personally like the sign gold more, but like you said the cost can be prohibitive.

2. You must seal sign gold, or it will turn black in about 2 or 3 years, and then it is almost impossible to remove (of course, it will be overlaid on another color most of the time, and you will end up replacing it).

3. You just need to turn the pressure up to cut R-Tape, and watch in the circles when you weed it. It does have a tendency to tear in those areas.

JR's

Hi,
I've used both, but the sign gold does look four times better.
To answer question number one, to someone that is working with the products know they do not look alike. And yes it does look better thanR tape.

Yes you do have to edge seal sign gold, and I think you have to edge seal r tape as well. (Going on a fire truck, you should edge seal it anyway, they wash the vehicles quite often.

No special cutting techniques for sign gold. For r tape I had to use a little bit more force.

Good luck.
JR

JR's

Sign gold, 22 carat gold does not turn black if you don't edge seal. It. I think you're thinking of the Silver(sign gold).

Sign gold has an excellent warranty every time I had a problem. I photographed the problem, and they took care of the material.

Plus, when you're selling sign gold. You sell it as 22 carat, real sign gold. Not mylar gold or something that looks like gold.

Malkin

I usually edge seal my SignGold by designing it to have an outline, and cutting the outline to trap over the edge.

Jillbeans

Use the SignGold.
It looks better and lasts far longer.
The instructions for using it are on their site.
Love....Jill

Rooster

The vinylEFX product might work OK for straight cutting. They sell it as printable but my tests with their premium 5-7 year version of the silver foil did not pan out well at all. The inks will easily deform the material and cause it to lift within a month or so.

artsnletters

Use the SignGold.
It looks better and lasts far longer.
The instructions for using it are on their site.
Love....Jill
x100...use the good (REAL) stuff. signGOLD....fire department people are really anal about their trucks, shouldn't be an issue at all. Sure the price is higher, but you'll have it look more like a real gold leaf job and it'll last much longer.
Tim

BargainSigns

We've done several fire trucks for the local airforce base and use the 23.5(?) SignGold. Most of our vendors didn't even know it was/is offered however, it looks spectacular and will last a long time. It is quite expensive but was totally worth it. Also someone posted something about the fire departments being anal and that is a true understatement. They take it very seriously. You won't go wrong the the higher gold count.

Marianna

curtrnev

Last night on the Speed channel they had Ultimate Factories on , this episode was on the Pierce brand of fire trucks. It had a pretty long segment on the lettering and decoration of the fire trucks. They used actual gold leaf and a lot of hand work over the whole truck. Some of the artwork was done in vinyl and the painted on , then applied onto the truck. Has anyone here seen this episode or work for Pierce?

Si Allen

Nope ... didn't see it. But ... did many fire trucks for Calavar ... using real gold leaf and paint.

Does that count?

:omg:

Jillbeans

I have been looking for a pic of this truck forever, it's the best I can do.
This was done by Billy Beckner of Canonsburg, PA, for the Herman VFC.
It's all gold, all hand done, and breathtaking.

Attachments

• seagrage.jpg
    seagrage.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 116